Fourth Podium Poll for 11/5/2019 - Tuesday TOC (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which of these triple stumpers and missed DDs did you get?

$600 FROCK AROUND THE CLOCK: When it precedes "gown", this 4-letter undergarment is worn for bedtime; before "dress", not for bedtime
11%
$800 BEFORE & LAUGHTER: Biblical first man's donation to make his mate that ultimately turns into a term for a joke (Rachel said "Adam's rib" and added "poker" after Alex said "Time's up". Rob then said "Adam's ribbing" and was ruled incorrect. That decision was later reversed.)
46%
$2000 GEOGRAPHICA: "Think over" this Scottish term for a cape, like the one "of Kintyre" peninsula
37%
$2000 FICTIONAL CHARACTERS: "The Good Earth" begins with Wang Lung's marriage day--to this woman
11%
$1600 FICTIONAL CHARACTERS: Hemingway's collections "In Our Time" & "Men Without Women" feature this character based partly on Hemingway
21%
$1200 FICTIONAL CHARACTERS: Much of "The Color Purple" is made up of letters written by her to God
39%
$2000 PAC-12 SCHOOLS: In 1892 the University of Deseret got this new name
50%
$1200 THE DARK AGES: Dark Ages guys Methodius & Cyril went down in history as the fathers of this system (Rob guessed the metric system)
18%
$800 PAC-12 SCHOOLS: Bear with us--"Bear Down" isn't UCLA's motto, but that of this school whose mascot is the Wildcat
51%
$400 PAC-12 SCHOOLS: The University of Washington opened in 1861 on the outskirts of this then village, pop. 250
54%
DD1 in $1000 space for RADIOACTIVE ELEMENTS (Dhruv wagered $3000): These 2 radioactive elements were discovered in 1898
29%
DD2 in $800 space for FICTIONAL CHARACTERS (Rob wagered $5400): Jilted on her wedding day, this Dickens character teaches her ward Estella to despise men
63%
DD3 in $2000 space for THE DARK AGES (Rob wagered $2000): Before it meant one who attacks received ideas, it meant one who opposed & even broke idols in the Byzantine Empire
48%

Total votes: 84

Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Re: Fourth Podium Poll for 11/5/2019 - Tuesday TOC (SPOILERS)

Post by Rackme32 »

Just $2000.

Would have nailed the Deseret clue if I'd remembered the category, but I kneejerked "Brigham Young". That prevented a category sweep. :(

I *knew* I had heard that term "Kintyre", but couldn't pair it up with anything.

I know what a slip is, but have only heard the term said by itself, not paired up with "gown" or "dress".
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:29 pm
Woof wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:49 am
opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:42 am
Woof wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:50 pm :( :mrgreen: :( :( :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

In keeping with my comment that these boards played easier for me than last nights (40,200 Coryat vs 31,400) I also got more Lach trash (10,200)
Lach Trash doesn't include Daily Doubles, does it?
You just get the nominal values for DDs.
Huh. For coryat, that's definitely the case. But I've always thought of lach trash as money you could hypothetically have picked up from the fourth podium without ever winning a buzzer race. You just "buzz in" when no one else does or after they're done giving wrong responses. DD money isn't available via this method.* Is this not the consensus understanding of "lach trash"?
You cannot pick up Lach Trash on a DD.

Per the J! Archive Glossary:

n. in a round or game of Jeopardy!, Triple Stumpers for which the correct responses are known by a Jeopardy! viewer playing along from home; also, the total dollar-value score associated with such Triple Stumpers.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

$4000 in trash is a far cry from the $13,000+ on the previous day. I also said "ribbing" but didn't count it -- I agreed with Opus's comment even before I read it (which might be cause for worry).

"Pac-12" plus "Deseret" is a pretty instant U. of Utah, and I'm familiar with the derivation and usage of "iconoclast." For every other clue polled, though, I joined the players in an S&S, though I have to wonder if my response of "Cyrillic alphabet" would have been negged since I've never heard Alec call for a "be less specific".
Last edited by AFRET CMS on Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
Caboom
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Caboom »

You're missing the "I missed all of them" option for me and TPH. I bet others would join us tomorrow.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

AFRET CMS wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:30 pm $4000 in trash is a far cry from the $13,000+ on the previous day. I also said "ribbing" but didn't count it -- I agreed with Opus's comment even before I read it (which might be cause for worry).
For you or for me? :lol:
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Caboom wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:39 pm You're missing the "I missed all of them" option for me and TPH. I bet others would join us tomorrow.
Oooh! Good point. I can't put it in now or it'll bork the results. I'll try to remember to include the option in future polls. I want EVERYONE to be able to register in the poll, even losers like... well, no need to get specific.
Philliesfan02
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Philliesfan02 »

Got the three in PAC-12 SCHOOLS and the RADIOACTIVE ELEMENTS daily double, but missed everything else.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:12 pm
Caboom wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:39 pm You're missing the "I missed all of them" option for me and TPH. I bet others would join us tomorrow.
Oooh! Good point. I can't put it in now or it'll bork the results. I'll try to remember to include the option in future polls. I want EVERYONE to be able to register in the poll, even losers like... well, no need to get specific.
throw in tfb for the skunk button. i almost faked one correct answer to see the Po/Ra reveal. Will someone from the smart room please post the polling results?
I have the Po/Ra under at 33%.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

twelvefootboy wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:55 pm
throw in tfb for the skunk button. i almost faked one correct answer to see the Po/Ra reveal. Will someone from the smart room please post the polling results?
22/75 for 29%

For seeing results:
Can you see them if you sign out?
Is the button enacted for voting again? Vote to see results and re-vote the box out to restore normalcy?
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:58 pm
twelvefootboy wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:55 pm
22/75 for 29%

For seeing results:
Can you see them if you sign out?
Is the button enacted for voting again? Vote to see results and re-vote the box out to restore normalcy?
I did find a way to hack this using all the cyber weapons at my disposal - I found a backdoor flaw in the security. (Spoilered to prevent future cyberattacks):
Spoiler
There's a secret code that says "view results" below the submit button. :oops:
I just assumed that was dead until you submitted. It makes my forecast of 33% under a little less prescient, lol...
But, if you add the 3 skunks, then the 29% is freefalling to 26% or so.

FWIW, I thought this was the hardest boards all year, or ever. I picked up $9200 on Tuesday, haven't really done the math on the others.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.