LL83: Learned League

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

teapot37
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: LL83: Learned League

Post by teapot37 »

Well. Had one of the rarest ties, the dreaded 8(4)-8(4). He did not know the Gamecube or W.C. Fields, and I could not remember Lebanon (I vaguely recall this but I couldn't bring it up) and Booknotes (I see a show called "Book TV" on C-SPAN in the TV listings when flipping around every now and again, but it's a different show, I guess).
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

An average get rate for the day of 34.8% is quite low. I haven't been tracking those, but it was definitely one of the harder days this season.

ETA: I found where you can see each day's get rate. 35% is the lowest. Monday's was 38%, which is the second lowest. Tough week so far.

Is it just me, or when you see that one of your friends has forfeited, do you want to send them a message like, "Hey, are you OK?!?"
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

That's how to start the day with a 3(3) - 0(1) and getting a 15%er correct. We game GameCubed each other for zero and I made a rare save off first instinct when some of the movie names sounded familiar. I wrote Grouch Marx and changed when I took a second to realize Groucho would not play Mr. Micawber.
ilcap
Valued Contributor

Post by ilcap »

Was very stoked to see the Booknotes question -- it's a show before my time, but I happened to visit its online archives while writing a couple of history papers years ago. TV is not a strong suit of mine, so it felt good to get an obscure one in that category.

From anyone who got the W. C. Fields question right, I'm interested in hearing what specifically tipped people off -- was it one of the character names in particular?
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

alietr wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:03 am An average get rate for the day of 34.8% is quite low. I haven't been tracking those, but it was definitely one of the harder days this season.

ETA: I found where you can see each day's get rate. 35% is the lowest. Monday's was 38%, which is the second lowest. Tough week so far.
Second straight day where my opponent only got one answer correct. I'll take the easy wins!

I put Peter Sellers for the "legendary performer" question, FYI. Also missed Lebanon and Booknotes.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

ilcap wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:12 am Was very stoked to see the Booknotes question -- it's a show before my time, but I happened to visit its online archives while writing a couple of history papers years ago. TV is not a strong suit of mine, so it felt good to get an obscure one in that category.

From anyone who got the W. C. Fields question right, I'm interested in hearing what specifically tipped people off -- was it one of the character names in particular?
I watched The Bank Dick about a month ago. His character in that was Egbert Sousé and his writing credit was Mahatma Kane Jeeves ("my hat, my cane, Jeeves!"). Those were the ins for me.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

Although lacking formal education, Fields was well read and a lifelong admirer of author Charles Dickens, whose characters' unusual names inspired Fields to collect odd names he encountered in his travels, to be used for his characters.
Fields often contributed to the scripts of his films under unusual pseudonyms. They include the seemingly prosaic "Charles Bogle", credited in four of his films in the 1930s; "Otis Criblecoblis", which contains an embedded homophone for "scribble"; and "Mahatma Kane Jeeves", a play on Mahatma and a phrase an aristocrat might use when about to leave the house: "My hat, my cane, Jeeves".
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

teapot37 wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:33 am
Although lacking formal education, Fields was well read and a lifelong admirer of author Charles Dickens, whose characters' unusual names inspired Fields to collect odd names he encountered in his travels, to be used for his characters.
That would explain why I first thought of Dickens. Dismissed him. Went to Clemens. Dismissed him. Then realized that, even though I didn't know he wrote, realized those names were silly enough for Fields.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Too many old-timey clues this season
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

ilcap wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:12 am From anyone who got the W. C. Fields question right, I'm interested in hearing what specifically tipped people off -- was it one of the character names in particular?
I'm hardly a WC Fields fan and have not seen that many of his works, but The Bank Dick is actually quite good. Mahatma Kane Jeeves and Egbert Sousé were both memorable names. (IIRC, it's emphasized in the film that the name is pronouced Soo-Zay´, not souse.) And his portrayal of Mr Micawber in that Dickensian film from the 1930s would likely be an instaget for anybody reasonably well-versed in that era.
morbeedo wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:43 am Too many old-timey clues this season
Hadn't really noticed, but if so that would explain my QPct being well above my long-term average.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

RandyG wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:53 am
Hadn't really noticed, but if so that would explain my QPct being well above my long-term average.
This. Precisely this.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Woof wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:03 pm
RandyG wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:53 am
This. Precisely this.
I'm the opposite, but it doesn't seem to matter this season. Last season, I had a .603 QPct (a bit above my .582 lifetime), but finished 10-12-3 and in 17th place. This season I'm at .578, but I'm 9-4-4 and in 4th. Go figure.
jjwaymee

Post by jjwaymee »

alietr wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:03 am An average get rate for the day of 34.8% is quite low. I haven't been tracking those, but it was definitely one of the harder days this season.

Is it just me, or when you see that one of your friends has forfeited, do you want to send them a message like, "Hey, are you OK?!?"
Not pointing a finger at your friend, but, in general, I have a much more cynical reaction to people who have been playing all season and then suddenly forfeit on a day when the get rate is really tough.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

georgespelvin wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:30 am
I know this is old, but my most proud moment in Learned League so far was the COBRA question last week because I had no clue but figured out the TOM in the question. :idea:
For some reason, my first reptilian guess was the cobra, then I visited non-snake critters (since he said "reptiles" and not "snakes", and I've learned to read. every. word., lol) and finally noticed the three cities matched the three letters.

And then the conundrum - how to defend this? Easy once you make the connection, and a vague YEKIOYD otherwise. I went soft on it since the WAG is so confident once you see it.

My best guess so far is Prague. Serendipity - we just watched the 2019 Spiderman movie where they visited Prague and mentioned a bridge, so I knew Prague had an unknown river and was a European capital city where the two weird names might fit the river.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

jjwaymee wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:37 pm

Not pointing a finger at your friend, but, in general, I have a much more cynical reaction to people who have been playing all season and then suddenly forfeit on a day when the get rate is really tough.
If it's the same person I noticed, difficult questions wouldn't be a reason they'd forfeit.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

teapot37 wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:04 am...and Booknotes (I see a show called "Book TV" on C-SPAN in the TV listings when flipping around every now and again, but it's a different show, I guess).
"Book TV" is the entire weekend block of book-related programming that airs on C-SPAN 2, which grew out of "Booknotes."
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

My American History is over 85% and I get three for Teapot Dome?

A benefit of being old is you can get Suzy Quatro.
georgespelvin
The Charlie Brown of Jeopardy Auditions

Post by georgespelvin »

twelvefootboy wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:33 pm
georgespelvin wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:30 am
I know this is old, but my most proud moment in Learned League so far was the COBRA question last week because I had no clue but figured out the TOM in the question. :idea:
For some reason, my first reptilian guess was the cobra, then I visited non-snake critters (since he said "reptiles" and not "snakes", and I've learned to read. every. word., lol) and finally noticed the three cities matched the three letters.

And then the conundrum - how to defend this? Easy once you make the connection, and a vague YEKIOYD otherwise. I went soft on it since the WAG is so confident once you see it.

My best guess so far is Prague. Serendipity - we just watched the 2019 Spiderman movie where they visited Prague and mentioned a bridge, so I knew Prague had an unknown river and was a European capital city where the two weird names might fit the river.
Speaking of serendipity, I can't tell you how many questions there have been this season that I've known at least in part because of recent vacations I've taken (Victoria and Albert, Space X) , a recent book I've read (Bob Hope and his Road pictures), or recent songs I've heard (Luther Vandross).
I used to be AWSOP but wanted to be more theatrical.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

Bamaman wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:42 am My American History is over 85% and I get three for Teapot Dome?

A benefit of being old is you can get Suzy Quatro.
Would Suzy Q have been taken as acceptable?

I was going to put Suzy Q, but then thought, "isn't that some blonde girl with a high voice?"
Total game show career losings = $171,522
classicroadster

Post by classicroadster »

Pretty much run the gamut the last few days. First off, I get my best ever showing in MSC with 8/12, almost perfect moneying for 393 points, and highest score in D Magnolia. Who hoo! Then the last MD16-18 happen...4/18 (2,0,2). Ouch. Somehow I went 1-1-1 those three days. MD 16 was frustrating as my daffodil/crocus koin happened and my wife and I watched Smash but I couldn't get it. MD17, I had no chance with no inkling on any of the questions (not a gamer, but I had heard of gamecube after the reveal and gang of 4 briefly crossed my mind). MD18, first read through I was again in panic mode but re-reading I got SpaceX and Earl Grey but none of the others were things I heard of. I got as close as quatroi but was given credit. I'm in 5th but only a point out of promotion so I'm hoping theres a regression up to the mean coming.