LL83: Learned League

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: LL83: Learned League

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Lucked out on MD 1 getting a forfeit win since I only got four right (missed San Fran and Houston--said Prince).
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

gnash wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:45 am I am curious how many people who got San Francisco knew the question was about the Federal Reserve and how many just guessed a city in the West.
Slam dunk for me. Richmond or Cleveland would have been a bit trickier.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

boson wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:13 am
gnash wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:45 am I am curious how many people who got San Francisco knew the question was about the Federal Reserve and how many just guessed a city in the West.

It would have been a better question if the missing city had been Richmond or Cleveland.
The locations letter/number made me think of coins and bills and post office. I thought Denver and San Francisco both had mints, and I figured I was slightly wrong because both were missing, but there had to be a city on any such list in California. Basically a lucky guess.

I also got lucky naming a dead performer who might have covered Winwood in 1990. I almost submitted George Harrison, but I couldn't imagine a modern dj remixing that.
The lack of pronouns in the music Q had me thinking it might be a woman, but "posthumously" and "June 2019" had me thinking it was a recent death. Went Eddie Money, which would be quite a trick, since he didn't die until August.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Did the Japan or Norwegian part of the Houston question mean anything? Unlike Thorsten to put something in that isn't meaningful, and I couldn't decipher why those were in there.
Bigdogstalfos
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Bigdogstalfos »

alietr wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:59 am Did the Japan or Norwegian part of the Houston question mean anything? Unlike Thorsten to put something in that isn't meaningful, and I couldn't decipher why those were in there.
I took the Japanese part to be pointing to an artist who was crazy popular in Japan in addition to being dead, a thing in 1990, and important enough to get a posthumous popular song, which got me to Michael Jackson. No idea why Kygo’s nationality was in there. The answer certainly wasn’t going to be Norway’s own a-Ha.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

alietr wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:59 am Did the Japan or Norwegian part of the Houston question mean anything? Unlike Thorsten to put something in that isn't meaningful, and I couldn't decipher why those were in there.
Not the slightest clue. Wouldn't have gotten to Houston in a million years.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

It would have been a better question if the missing city had been Richmond or Cleveland.
What's frustrating for me is that just several weeks ago in pub trivia, the final question was to name as many of the Federal Reserve cities as you could. And I still couldn't remember whether Denver or San Francisco had been the 12th one, and I lost my coin flip. At least it didn't cost me the match, as I also missed the Whitney Houston question (guessed George Michael) and my opponent drank the beer.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

hbomb1947 wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:57 pm

What's frustrating for me is that just several weeks ago in pub trivia, the final question was to name as many of the Federal Reserve cities as you could. And I still couldn't remember whether Denver or San Francisco had been the 12th one, and I lost my coin flip. At least it didn't cost me the match, as I also missed the Whitney Houston question (guessed George Michael) and my opponent drank the beer.
I guessed Prince, thinking of a deceased artist with a large catalogue of unreleased music.
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

Woof wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:57 pm

I guessed Prince, thinking of a deceased artist with a large catalogue of unreleased music.
Tom Petty here.

Denver came to mind first, but then realized that San Francisco was missing and that Denver was only the mint.
Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Post by Vermonter »

George Michael instead of Whitney Houston (almost certainly triggered by "1990")

I thought my POP MUSIC score was higher than my overall average, but that would explain the 3 point I received there. Luckily, turnabout was fair play, as I stuck the same number on that question, and tied 6(5)-6(5)
Hate bad wagering? Me too. Join me at The Final Wager.
Lefty
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Lefty »

Me too, regarding the Federal Reserve question (I mean, same coin flip). I thought I remembered an FJ asking for the one state represented twice, but I can't find it now. Anyway, that helped me to deduce the general subject.

I first noted this "HIgher Love" recording as it played in a LotLess store I was in a few days ago. I recognized it as a woman's voice but I guessed Aretha Franklin for having died sort of recently.
I'm smart and I want respect.
ohiomathtchr
Contributor

Post by ohiomathtchr »

5/6 yesterday. My miss was he Whitney Houston question. To add another deceased singer to the list, I went with David Bowie.
Maggie, call me.
ouachiouat
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by ouachiouat »

Got Whitney by guessing a popular singer from 1990. Lost the coin flip between Denver & SF. Thought it was mint or treasury or something similar, but chose poorly. Ended up tying 7(5)-7(5). Not bad to start the season.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

How do only 43% get Hot7G when spotted 'mansion' and 'Hawthorne'?
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

The 4 players from South Dakota I track on the player tracker (including myself) all have 9 correct after 2 days. Also, if anyone knows any other players from SD, let me know. I miss being able to search for that.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I had a tragic crossing of wires on the TV question: my first thought was "Captain Kangaroo," but then I ruled that out because I was sure it ended in the '60s, with that famous scene of Clarabell the Clown speaking for the first (and only) time. But alas, that was "Howdy Doody," and Bob Keeshan had played Clarabell (though he left well before the show ended) before becoming Captain Kangaroo. The best guess I could muster besides the one I dismissed was "Romper Room," whose dates aren't too far off from those given in the question. It was less than my losing margin, so I'm not too broken up about it now.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

econgator wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:36 am How do only 43% get Hot7G when spotted 'mansion' and 'Hawthorne'?
I was surprised at that one as well. I was only guessing, but I very quickly went to thinking about titles with a home in them. Fall of the House of Usher came to mind first, but I knew that was Poe, HOT7G came to mind quickly, even though I had no idea of the author or time period.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

seaborgium wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:59 am I had a tragic crossing of wires on the TV question: my first thought was "Captain Kangaroo," but then I ruled that out because I was sure it ended in the '60s, with that famous scene of Clarabell the Clown speaking for the first (and only) time. But alas, that was "Howdy Doody," and Bob Keeshan had played Clarabell (though he left well before the show ended) before becoming Captain Kangaroo. The best guess I could muster besides the one I dismissed was "Romper Room," whose dates aren't too far off from those given in the question. It was less than my losing margin, so I'm not too broken up about it now.
No way was I pulling out Captain Kangaroo. While I knew that was on CBS, I had no idea it was an 8am daily show. When I had off from school, I slept in and was watching game shows, so I didn't have enough memories of watching CK often enough to know what time it came on and how often.

I remember Romper Room being on WOR channel 9. Don't know if it was syndicated or just on the superstation.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

On the Captain Kangaroo question, I was shocked at Good Morning America being the MCWA, and that therefore over 1 in 10 LLamas thought GMA went off the air in 1984.

On the math question - well, I really, really need to learn already to check my work before submitting. I misspelled "pentagon" as "polygon." I suck at math, but I guessed (correctly) that the surfaces of a dodecahedron were 5-sided. And I know a 5-sided figure is a pentagon. But my brain wrote "polygon," perhaps thinking of that famous Supreme Court case about the Polygon Papers. Still, did I go over my answers so I could catch my error? Of course not. So my answers went in with the generic term polygon being one of them. I consider myself very fortunate to have won my match, 8(5) -5(4), partly because my opponent assigned me 3 points on succotash of all things.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

hbomb1947 wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:31 am On the Captain Kangaroo question, I was shocked at Good Morning America being the MCWA, and that therefore over 1 in 10 LLamas thought GMA went off the air in 1984.

On the math question - well, I really, really need to learn already to check my work before submitting. I misspelled "pentagon" as "polygon." I suck at math, but I guessed (correctly) that the surfaces of a dodecahedron were 5-sided. And I know a 5-sided figure is a pentagon. But my brain wrote "polygon," perhaps thinking of that famous Supreme Court case about the Polygon Papers. Still, did I go over my answers so I could catch my error? Of course not. So my answers went in with the generic term polygon being one of them. I consider myself very fortunate to have won my match, 8(5) -5(4), partly because my opponent assigned me 3 points on succotash of all things.
Sufferin' Succotash!