LL83: Learned League

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MollyQMurphy
Silver Medalist

Re: LL83: Learned League

Post by MollyQMurphy »

ilcap wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:12 am Was very stoked to see the Booknotes question -- it's a show before my time, but I happened to visit its online archives while writing a couple of history papers years ago. TV is not a strong suit of mine, so it felt good to get an obscure one in that category.

From anyone who got the W. C. Fields question right, I'm interested in hearing what specifically tipped people off -- was it one of the character names in particular?
Legend plus a ridiculous name that has any resembance to drinking = WC Fields. In this case, Sousé.
Pending...
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

I just realized that this season was my 4th consecutive in rundle B, and that was my longest streak at the same level in my 27-season LL career. Now let's see if I can top that by surviving the next 5 seasons in A.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

gnash wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:23 pm I just realized that this season was my 4th consecutive in rundle B, and that was my longest streak at the same level in my 27-season LL career. Now let's see if I can top that by surviving the next 5 seasons in A.
Good luck!
Blue Lion
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Blue Lion »

sarisson wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:47 am Congrats to BigDaddyMatty on his third straight A Horizon title.
I finished with career highs in TCA, TMP, and CAA. If you'd told me four years ago that I'd crack 100 correct answers in a season and finish on the Maso leaderboard, I'd have :lol: I will be returning to A for a sixth straight season, striving for 50 career wins in A, B, and C.
Maybe someday I'll make the championship, but I've only had one winning season in A. There is a chance. There is also a chance I'll be elected president someday, or be the first person to crack $250k in a J! game.
I second those congrats to Matty. Quite impressive.

Warm holiday wishes to all of you, especially my A Horizon opponents. I'll be seeing you again in LL84!
georgespelvin
The Charlie Brown of Jeopardy Auditions

Post by georgespelvin »

Well, I actually am proud that I won my first regular season rundle, finishing 16-5-4 in Laguna C, Division 1, clinching on the penultimate day and then winning the last game by forfeit. I won the rundle by four points and finished with the most wins and the fewest losses. It's my most points in a season after going 15-6-4 in the D League in season 69 (third) and 17-7-1 in D League in season 74 (second). My best record in C league before this one was 12-10-3 so I confess that I'm not really looking forward to next season in B.
I used to be AWSOP but wanted to be more theatrical.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Wanted to give a shout out to the LL84 new name poll (but moreso the underlying methodology...you'll see)
https://www.opavote.com/results/5120167463878656
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Shadows (5), Foxy Brown (7), Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6)
classicroadster

Post by classicroadster »

I know its random, but 6/12 of the people in my Family ML Group 20 are A rundlers...ouch.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

I was doing flashcards the other day and I came across a reference to the blackout at Super Bowl XLVII. I thought to myself, I should put that on a flashcard, but didn't. Fortunately enough stuck in my brain to get the question on yesterday's family ML (my two guesses would have been the correct 2 teams), but boy I need to step up my game.
classicroadster

Post by classicroadster »

ML World Wars Group 146....7 A players, 4 D, and an E. Another tough group draw for me as one of the D rundlers...
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

ML World Wars Group 65 is well rounded with lots of Redshirts for the landing party :). This middle child (5th of 8) is used to it as I will move to D for LL84 :roll:

1 A, 2 B, 2C, 2D, 4E, and 1 R

I stayed the hell away from the Family ML after stinking up a couple of ML's last season.
I recommend the Poetic Vocabulary one for fun, it's not the dreaded one it sounds like.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

Congrats to our own RobertsLA for winning the Aubrey-Maturin 1DS. I read all 20ish books (though not in about a decade) and I could answer exactly zero of these questions. I think a really hard, really specific quiz about these novels is perfect - they have the same sort of detail and trivia themselves. Only 132 people entered the quiz... must be some sort of record.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

boson wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:17 am Congrats to our own RobertsLA for winning the Aubrey-Maturin 1DS. I read all 20ish books (though not in about a decade) and I could answer exactly zero of these questions. I think a really hard, really specific quiz about these novels is perfect - they have the same sort of detail and trivia themselves. Only 132 people entered the quiz... must be some sort of record.
Wow! Congrats

I’ve never even heard of this author
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

morbeedo wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:17 pm
boson wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:17 am Congrats to our own RobertsLA for winning the Aubrey-Maturin 1DS. I read all 20ish books (though not in about a decade) and I could answer exactly zero of these questions. I think a really hard, really specific quiz about these novels is perfect - they have the same sort of detail and trivia themselves. Only 132 people entered the quiz... must be some sort of record.
Wow! Congrats

I’ve never even heard of this author
Patrick O'Brian wrote this series about the British Navy during the Napoleonic era. They are great - highly recommended. The details of life around 1810, the politics, the battles are amazing. But the details are in contrast to the characters who all have their aspects of comedy and situations where they are out of place.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

Thanks, boson! I was very happy to see this particular 1DS on the schedule. I've read the series at least five or six times and am currently reading them again. I must say I was a little surprised to see how few LLamas entered this one; given the wide variety of interests and knowledge you find in Learned League, I thought there would be more entrants.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

ElendilPickle wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:25 pm
Thanks, boson! I was very happy to see this particular 1DS on the schedule. I've read the series at least five or six times and am currently reading them again. I must say I was a little surprised to see how few LLamas entered this one; given the wide variety of interests and knowledge you find in Learned League, I thought there would be more entrants.
I thought about it, but having only read 4 of the books, I knew there was no chance that I would be able to compete (the only question I could answer was the last one, about how many points would you have to go through to make a 360). Now, the Babylon 5 one, this summer ... now we're talking.
:)

Congrats!