LL83: Learned League

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: LL83: Learned League

Post by morbeedo »

1stlvlthinker wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:12 pm
morbeedo wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:58 am
1stlvlthinker wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:47 am Sigh...

I don't know how to defense apparently.
Reverse Mortgage - 73% get it right, I assign 0 to my .750 Bus/Econ opponent. He misses it.
Wuthering - 41% get it right, I assign 2 to it, he gets it.

Lose 3(3)-4(3)
Player stats are merely a starting point! Maybe focus on relative difficulty of the questions in each match day and defend accordingly. But what do I know? I’m just leading my rundle in DE :P
Well yes, but "reverse mortgage" seems like a pretty well known term, especially when it's fully defined like it was in the question.
Your defense was fine. It doesn't also work out the way it's supposed to.
ouachiouat
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by ouachiouat »

Somehow ended up with the highest score out of B and C Prairie on the MSC. Went for an unsure guess on Hudson River (don't know where I pulled that one from). Went for 'hot dog' on Q3 based on the 'not a sandwich' line. And what was Q4 about? Something that adds up to the Union Jack is what I surmised, but had no clue on what each piece was.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

ouachiouat wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:28 pm Somehow ended up with the highest score out of B and C Prairie on the MSC. Went for an unsure guess on Hudson River (don't know where I pulled that one from). Went for 'hot dog' on Q3 based on the 'not a sandwich' line. And what was Q4 about? Something that adds up to the Union Jack is what I surmised, but had no clue on what each piece was.
Nice job and at least we did our part for Prairie C unlike that other J! Board member. :lol:
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

ouachiouat wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:28 pm Somehow ended up with the highest score out of B and C Prairie on the MSC. Went for an unsure guess on Hudson River (don't know where I pulled that one from). Went for 'hot dog' on Q3 based on the 'not a sandwich' line. And what was Q4 about? Something that adds up to the Union Jack is what I surmised, but had no clue on what each piece was.
The union jack has the crosses of st. George (england), st. Andrew (Scotland) and st. Patrick (Ireland).

As usual, Wales is ignored.

A frustrating MSC for me. I normally like this format: 1DS are too often super-specialized. This one was good, I just didn't know the stuff.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Essentially the same question from Thursday's game with a bit of algebra mixed in: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6485
In 1801 the Cross of St. Patrick joined the crosses of St. Andrew & St. George on this
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
ouachiouat

Post by ouachiouat »

boson wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:41 pm
ouachiouat wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:28 pm And what was Q4 about? Something that adds up to the Union Jack is what I surmised, but had no clue on what each piece was.
The union jack has the crosses of st. George (england), st. Andrew (Scotland) and st. Patrick (Ireland).

As usual, Wales is ignored.
Ah, thanks!
Volante wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:42 pm Essentially the same question from Thursday's game with a bit of algebra mixed in: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6485
In 1801 the Cross of St. Patrick joined the crosses of St. Andrew & St. George on this
One of those instances where actually being able to watch the show instead of following on here would have helped. Thanks for the tip.
MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:33 pm Nice job and at least we did our part for Prairie C unlike that other J! Board member. :lol:
He's such a slacker. Sheesh. :lol: (Not that I have any room to talk. I usually forget to enter).
Volante

Post by Volante »

ouachiouat wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:24 pm
Volante wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:42 pm Essentially the same question from Thursday's game with a bit of algebra mixed in: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6485
One of those instances where actually being able to watch the show instead of following on here would have helped. Thanks for the tip.
There's always the archive!

But yeah, there's typically some clues every week that overlap one direction or the other.

In fact, one I can quickly recall is last season (LL82) Midseason: The Night Watch

21 Sep, 2019: https://learnedleague.com/oneday.php?classic_82
4. Captain Frans Banning Cocq, who would serve in the 1650s as mayor of Amsterdam, was the central figure in a 1642 painting that is best known (in English) by what name?
16 Sep, 2019: http://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6416
This popular name for Rembrandt's 1642 portrait of a militia group is a result of its old darkened varnish, now cleaned off
I distinctly remember choosing -not- to money it because of that recent usage, too. (Cost me 20 points...)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Even though it's apparently a Netflix series I was still floored that more than half of the midseason participants came up with fat and acid on Q2. I'd never heard of it.

I really shot myself in the foot by moneying Q9 with my knee-jerk answer of "Guernica." In retrospect that was so obviously wrong, and I even read "Dead Wake" by Erik Larson about the sinking of the Lusitania within the last year. :roll:
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

What does bombshell have to do with Fox News?
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

econgator wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:56 am What does bombshell have to do with Fox News?
It's the title of the new drama film about the Roger Ailes harrassment situation. I must have seen the review listed on my YouTube page a dozen times this weekend, and I still put Blonde. D'oh.

Eked out a 2(2)-1(2) win. Was not expecting that, but the pop culture yesterday was hard.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I managed to get three answers right yesterday that I wasn't sure of: I somehow figured out almost immediately that Q1 must be the "Road to..." movies and had a vague sense Morocco was one of the destinations, and would have failed if I'd had to name any other; I had another vague sense the "Smash" musical was Bombshell (from remembering a friend's tweets), and didn't get the Fox News reference at all; and Luther Vandross was the only R&B singer I could think of who fit the timing of the goings-on in the question, and that was all I had to go on since I didn't recognize the titles.

All I missed was daffodil... and I lost 6(5)-7(4). My opponent's worst subjects being questioned yesterday were film and theatre (and the film question didn't even present itself explicitly as such!), and he got both of those right for five points. Geography was the next worst, but language was one of his stronger points, and so I figured he could make the Vltava -> in need of at least one more vowel -> Czech -> Prague connection, so I gave that a 1; he missed. Pop music was the next one down after language for him, so I gave him a 1 for Luther Vandross, his other miss. In the end, I guess it's my fault for giving him a 2 on the flower question when science was his strongest subject among the questions; I believe I would have at least tied him if I hadn't (depending on whether Teapot Dome would have gone up in value in the points shuffling doing so would have entailed).
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

So mad at myself for missing Bombshell. I watched that show, and just couldn't come up with the title. When I couldn't remember, I focused on the part about Fox News and even after seeing the answer, I didn't get the connection. Wish that wasn't in there, it took me away from where I would've been thinking. Don't know if I would've come up with it anyway.

Also, I figured I would get a 0 on it from my opponent since it was TV, so didn't want to work too hard on it when I really didn't have the time to do it. Instead, I was given a 1, and ended up with a tie game.

In other news...I recently thought to myself, "NHO Turbinado, no way was I ever getting that one". Then yesterday when at the supermarket, I was buying a new bag of sugar. I buy a 4-pound bag of sugar in the raw to use with my morning coffee. For the first time ever, I notice the word Turbinado on the bag. :roll:
Total game show career losings = $171,522
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I won 9(6)-0(1) yesterday. This isn't a score you see too much in an A rundle.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Lost 2(2)-5(2) and my leading DE score took a hit!

Guy's best subject is Amer. History (.719) and he misses Teapot Dome! Rude.

I was happy to tease out Bombshell from the Fox News clue and...got zero points for it.

Moldau --> Moldova --> Chișinău? (figured he was going for a more well-known capital city, but oh well)
Volante

Post by Volante »

Bah, I could've -drawn- a trumpet daffodil...but no chance of naming it.

And thank you game discussion from 11 Nov for Moldau.
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

morbeedo wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:57 am Moldau --> Moldova --> Chișinău? (figured he was going for a more well-known capital city, but oh well)
The Moldau --> Smetana (Czech composer) --> Prague
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/M%C3%A1_vlast#Vltava
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

6 for 6! I went to see Knives Out on Sunday and there was a preview for Bombshell. It looks interesting.

Roxette was part of an answer last week. The Swedish singer of that 80’s band passed away this morning.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

RandyG wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:37 am
morbeedo wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:57 am Moldau --> Moldova --> Chișinău? (figured he was going for a more well-known capital city, but oh well)
The Moldau --> Smetana (Czech composer) --> Prague
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/M%C3%A1_vlast#Vltava
Ahh, I remember that recent TOC clue now. Didn’t come together for me yesterday !
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

I went with "Fair and Unbalanced" on the Marilyn clue. It does strike me as a bit unkind, but then the show was was only going to play for one day.
I'm smart and I want respect.
georgespelvin
The Charlie Brown of Jeopardy Auditions

Post by georgespelvin »

I'm starting to get very nervous about my success in my C league rundle. I suspected from the beginning that it was very soft and that is appearing to be the case. Usually I finish exactly at .500 give or take a point. This season, with pretty much the same number of match points I usually get, I'm in third place with a record of 9-4-4. If this keeps up, I will get promoted to B league and become the Cincinnati Bengals. :roll: I guess then I would be "B-Leaguered". :twisted: Two things that have also helped me are a high defensive percentage (.702) and getting seven three pointers.

I know this is old, but my most proud moment in Learned League so far was the COBRA question last week because I had no clue but figured out the TOM in the question. :idea:
I used to be AWSOP but wanted to be more theatrical.