LL83: Learned League

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

boson
Trivial

Re: LL83: Learned League

Post by boson »

seaborgium wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:13 am Shoutout to Ironhorse for writing this in the Final Jeopardy clues thread earlier this year:
Ironhorse wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:30 pm Geography: This is the only UN-recognized nation state named after a historical woman.
Spoiler
What is St. Lucia?
(Wording is so as to exclude that Ireland is named after a goddess.)
The LL question gave the capital, so I wasn't going to miss it, but the "only country named for a historical woman" bit had a ring of familiarity.
Ah - that's where I heard it! Excellent clue that stuck in my brain.

Yesterday I had 3 most-common-wrong answers... It was not a good day.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I took a defensive loss yesterday 4(4)-5(4), but I feel like it was a bit of a fluke since my opponent got the Haydn one despite classical music being his worst category. 19 of 51 all time and he gets that one right. It just ain't fair, I tell ya!

I missed the symphony and Carousel.

And Caribbean nation named for a woman and only 53% were able to come up with St. Lucia? That's just weird.
teapot37
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by teapot37 »

Kind of surprised the MCW on Carousel was Oklahoma. My Kosman Koin was between Carousel and State Fair; I couldn't figure which one was more likely to have a barker as a character.

I don't want to jinx it, but this is the first season where I've gotten to this point in a season with 0 MCW.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

teapot37 wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:56 am Kind of surprised the MCW on Carousel was Oklahoma. My Kosman Koin was between Carousel and State Fair; I couldn't figure which one was more likely to have a barker as a character.
Yep. I had State Fair because of barker.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

teapot37 wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:56 am Kind of surprised the MCW on Carousel was Oklahoma. My Kosman Koin was between Carousel and State Fair; I couldn't figure which one was more likely to have a barker as a character.
I'm only now realizing that despite reading Rodgers & Hammerstein my mind was thinking of Gilbert & Sullivan. I don't think I would have come up with Carousel, but I certainly would have had a better shot at it. Oops!
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

I was surprised at the 53% get rate on St. Lucia, but then noticed they gave the Capital, which was probably the pathway for the rote memory geographers. Per seaborgium's shout-out, I only got it because of Ironhorse's contribution, and got the 3 for it to boot!

I thought the Suzuki clue was fantastic - there's no way I figure out Albert Pujols vs. Big Papi, or whoever (I just saw the Yankee TOM today). But age 27 rookie?? George Brett was a slow starter, but not that slow. A nice Aha moment and finally pulled his name.

I answered Wittsberg and knew it was close but no cigar. I thought about chopsticks but didn't bother remembering the name and just answered "Hee Haw".
'm locked into 2nd place in my E rundle thanks to having the dumbest luck in the dumb room. Only 34 CAA to my personal best 65 TCA and 8-0-2 against the top ten. Everybody has a bad hair day when I do, lol.. I look forward to grinding at the bottom of D for a few seasons.
If anyone is interested, I have a premium account and will be glad to open a "C" team private rundle next season - no A's and B's allowed (unless a good bribe is offered ;))
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

twelvefootboy wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:31 am I was surprised at the 53% get rate on St. Lucia, but then noticed they gave the Capital, which was probably the pathway for the rote memory geographers.
Wait, you were surprised it was that high or that low?
mrparadise

Post by mrparadise »

Mrs Paradise and I spent a lovely week in St Lucia the winter before last so this one was easy and brought back a lot of good memories. The island is beautiful but Castries not so much. Before you opt for a rental car know that they drive on the wrong side of the narrow, curvy, potholed, mountainous roads. I can recommend an excellent cab driver/tour guide.

I was quite sure (would have bet a lot) the Martin Luther clue was Heidelberg and there is a Heidelberg College in Ohio but I guess it doesn't fit the rest of the clue.

Once I picked up on "major league debut" Ichiro was easy.

Knew for sure it wasn't South Pacific or Oklahoma and Carousel was the only other one I could think of.

I was pretty sure it wasn't the Surprise Symphony and I wasn't certain there was a Clock one but it was worth a shot.

No chance on the karate boys.
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

I saw "Liliom" and immediately knew the answer was going to be Carousel, having recently watched the 1930 filmed version of Liliom out of curiosity. Aside from the non-musical aspect, this version and others so-named are much closer to the original play. Anyway -- and I say this as someone who has a great fondness for older films -- the 1930 version is truly, truly dreadful, with the worst attributes of early talkies in spades. Frank Borzage did a lot of fine work in early cinema, but this one needs to be forgotten.
1stlvlthinker

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

My first run in C is ending about as expected right now. In relegation zone, but mathematically not out of it. I need to win, need the girl above me to lose, and I need to make up 3 MDP in the process. Not looking good, but I really belong in D anyways, so oh well.
Now swimming in the J! pool.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:31 am
I'm only now realizing that despite reading Rodgers & Hammerstein my mind was thinking of Gilbert & Sullivan. I don't think I would have come up with Carousel, but I certainly would have had a better shot at it. Oops!
I had no idea, made a guess with Carnival
Total game show career losings = $171,522
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I had a weird 8(4)-8(4) tie yesterday. My defense this season has been atrocious.

We saw a production of Carousel last year, so I wasn't going to miss that one.
teapot37 wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:56 am I don't want to jinx it, but this is the first season where I've gotten to this point in a season with 0 MCW.
I'm the opposite. I have 14 MCW through today (which leads my rundle). I've gotten 37 questions wrong, so that means 38% of my misses have been the MCW.
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

After seeing my results yesterday, I thought, "One right--ouch! Bet that's only happened a couple times before." Then I looked through Past Seasons. Care to guess how far off that assessment was?
Spoiler
It's now happened 14 times.
Several matches back I was nearly a hundred points above my career get rate for this season and within range of a career-best TCA. Not anymore, but I've got a decent chance at my best-ever DE, which pleases me no end. For MDs 12-22, I managed perfect defense on all but one day.

Like some others, I settled on State Fair off "barker." In addition to Pink Floyd using "You'll Never Walk Alone" in "Fearless," Dire Straits' "Tunnel of Love" opens with a segment of R&H's "Carousel Waltz." Also whiffed with Karate Dads and Heartbeat.

Kirk, I'm surprised the get rate for St. Lucia was that high.

Would have made zero difference (my opp sixed yesterday somehow), but I had both Heidelberg and Wittenberg typed in and deleted the latter. That's at least the sixth time this season (linseed oil, Susan Rice, Nunavut, Prague, Flash Gordon) I've deleted a right answer. "I've got a little list. They've all of them been missed." Wait, that's G&S.

Congrats to Woof on winning A Cont, and best of luck to bomtr as he tries to lock down (another?) slot in the championship.
Last edited by reddpen on Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In and out of the pool four times
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

alietr wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:12 pm
teapot37 wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:56 am I don't want to jinx it, but this is the first season where I've gotten to this point in a season with 0 MCW.
I'm the opposite. I have 14 MCW through today (which leads my rundle). I've gotten 37 questions wrong, so that means 38% of my misses have been the MCW.
Is a low MCW a good thing? This isn't a TD (think different) reward based game. I've got 20 MCW and that's 22% of my misses (a lot of them, lol..). I'd think you'd want the smartest wrong answer, but I can see merit in the ability to get clues correct that don't have consensus wrong answers (at the 5% threshhold).

I take it that teapot37 just wants to have a null set for the novelty of it. Nothing that a six-pack won't preserve, so good luck tomorrow!

eta- btw, Kirk, I thought the St. Lucia at 53% was high based on a) try to mentally name the various islands, and b) tease out the female name, but hadn't considered how many LL'ers have Capitals memorized which makes it a gimme.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

twelvefootboy wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:39 pm Is a low MCW a good thing?
It's neither good nor bad. It simply is.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

twelvefootboy wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:31 am I was surprised at the 53% get rate on St. Lucia, but then noticed they gave the Capital, which was probably the pathway for the rote memory geographers. Per seaborgium's shout-out, I only got it because of Ironhorse's contribution, and got the 3 for it to boot!

I thought the Suzuki clue was fantastic - there's no way I figure out Albert Pujols vs. Big Papi, or whoever (I just saw the Yankee TOM today). But age 27 rookie?? George Brett was a slow starter, but not that slow. A nice Aha moment and finally pulled his name.
I got St. Lucia by brute force, going through all the Caribbean countries. I doubt I could ace a capitals quiz, even with a "matching" format. As for pointing out each country on a map, forget it.

I wouldn't call George Brett any kind of slow starter. He turned 21 during his first full season, and won his first batting title at 23.
seaborgium wrote:I ended up guessing "heartbeat" for the Haydn symphony
I considered drumbeat and hoofbeat (and "frog") before going with Jaws (since "Surprise symphony" seemed hopeless). Something about the late season brings out my jocular side.
I'm smart and I want respect.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

Congrats to teapot37 for winning the jboardom private rundle: the top 3 in the rundle also qualified to the championship in their public rundle! It was an honour to be trounced.

I regressed to the mean: ending 10-10-5 in my public rundle, and hitting my career correct answer pct. Anyone stave off relegation or get promoted? Let us cheer you on!

Happy LLama holiday everyone! We played trivial pursuit family edition to ease the withdrawal last night and I had to protest a periodic table question:
'True or false, "J" is the only letter not present in a atomic symbol on the periodic table.'

I'm going to be tiresome over the break.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

twelvefootboy wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:39 pm
Is a low MCW a good thing? This isn't a TD (think different) reward based game. I've got 20 MCW and that's 22% of my misses (a lot of them, lol..). I'd think you'd want the smartest wrong answer, but I can see merit in the ability to get clues correct that don't have consensus wrong answers (at the 5% threshhold).

I take it that teapot37 just wants to have a null set for the novelty of it. Nothing that a six-pack won't preserve, so good luck tomorrow!

eta- btw, Kirk, I thought the St. Lucia at 53% was high based on a) try to mentally name the various islands, and b) tease out the female name, but hadn't considered how many LL'ers have Capitals memorized which makes it a gimme.
While the site only makes the MCWA public knowledge if it hits 5%, you still get credit for one no matter how few people put it down.

Apparently he put beer in his teapot yesterday so he didn’t have to sweat it out.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

boson wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:16 am Anyone stave off relegation or get promoted? Let us cheer you on!
Well, I did stave off relegation, no thanks to you and your $&@%÷</)! wife!
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

twelvefootboy wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:39 pm

I really wanted to post the panel from Watchmen: "'Do it?' ... Do you seriously think I'd explain my masterstroke if there remained the slightest chance of you affecting its outcome? I did it thirty-five minutes ago."

But that sounds meaner than I would intend. Yeah, it's mostly the novelty.
However, in doing some research in how common 0 MCW is this season, I discovered that there is someone in one of the rookie rundles (LevyJ4) who, despite not having answered a single question correct all season, notched 5 wins due to forfeits.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.