LL83: Learned League

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

classicroadster
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: LL83: Learned League

Post by classicroadster »

I was a little surprised he didn't ask for both Frost and Nixon...I re-read the question like 15 times to make sure he only wanted one. 4(4) - 0(0) win to get me in the top 3 of D Magnolia D2.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

classicroadster wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:35 am I was a little surprised he didn't ask for both Frost and Nixon
If you know one, you know the other.
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

econgator wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:36 am
classicroadster wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:35 am I was a little surprised he didn't ask for both Frost and Nixon
For most, probably. But I could see a player, especially a younger one, taking a stab at Nixon, given the date, but either not remembering Frost or never knowing about him.
1stlvlthinker

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

I certainly didn't. I figured Nixon with the timeframe and didn't know who Frost was. After I saw the answer, I vaguely recollect Frost's name, but I would never have gotten both.
Now swimming in the J! pool.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Got the win yesterday 8(5)-6(4) but my opponent did get the math question right, despite math being her second to worst category. I can't say the term "twin primes" sounded familiar at all to me. Very surprised Mersenne Primes wasn't the MCWA.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:46 pm Got the win yesterday 8(5)-6(4) but my opponent did get the math question right, despite math being her second to worst category. I can't say the term "twin primes" sounded familiar at all to me. Very surprised Mersenne Primes wasn't the MCWA.
I went with Mersenne, though I knew that it was wrong and only put it just to have a guess. I am now 0-2 in Math, my best category, this season.

I did get lucky that Heartbreak and Patsy Cline were instant gets in two weak categories for me. When I was a kid I couldn't appreciate the artistry of Patsy Cline and hated it when my parents played one of her cassette tapes in the car. But it came in handy for me yesterday!
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

RandyG wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:05 pm
For most, probably. But I could see a player, especially a younger one, taking a stab at Nixon, given the date, but either not remembering Frost or never knowing about him.
This is exactly how I came up with it, but as soon as I was typing my guess of Nixon, it hit me and I knew both.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:46 pm Got the win yesterday 8(5)-6(4) but my opponent did get the math question right, despite math being her second to worst category. I can't say the term "twin primes" sounded familiar at all to me. Very surprised Mersenne Primes wasn't the MCWA.
That's certainly what I put down. Can't say that in all my extensive math education I ever came across the term "twin prime" either. I also won 8(5)-5(4) but bomtr was wise enough in our Private Rundle match to give me a 3 for my second-best category and thus get a tie.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Math is both mine and my opponents best category, but neither of us got this one. We bother zeroed the other and ended up with a 9(5)-7(4) win. Can't say I'm familiar with twin primes either and like others, threw down Mersenne just to say something.

Maybe Mersenne was the MCWA, but just didn't register 5%?
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

econgator wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:57 pm Maybe Mersenne was the MCWA, but just didn't register 5%?
Probably very likely.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:05 pm
econgator wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:57 pm Maybe Mersenne was the MCWA, but just didn't register 5%?
Probably very likely.
Through MD4 I had 0 MCWAs, and through MD5 I now have 1. Mersenne was my only wrong answer yesterday, so that must have been the case.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

It would be great if a person's get of "twin primes" provided the margin of victory in, say, a 5(4)-3(3) match.

edit: Found one! (Don't worry, I was also keeping my eye out for 7-5s.) I have to say I'd be more satisfied if only the winning player got it right, but this is just the first one I found where the match points were twin primes and the winner got two points for "twin primes."
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

seaborgium wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:30 pm It would be great if a person's get of "twin primes" provided the margin of victory in, say, a 5(4)-3(3) match.

edit: Found one! (Don't worry, I was also keeping my eye out for 7-5s.) I have to say I'd be more satisfied if only the winning player got it right, but this is just the first one I found where the match points were twin primes and the winner got two points for "twin primes."
You're a sick man. :lol:
bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

Woof wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:56 pm
That's certainly what I put down. Can't say that in all my extensive math education I ever came across the term "twin prime" either. I also won 8(5)-5(4) but bomtr was wise enough in our Private Rundle match to give me a 3 for my second-best category and thus get a tie.
I did not, however, have the wisdom to put a 3 on that question in the regular rundle for an opponent with a short history but a perfect 10 for 10 in math. Math is easily my worst category, so it was an easy defense for any opponent. Cost me a tie, and it was my opponent's first win of the season. I knew of Mersenne primes, but was pretty sure it was something different. Thought of golden and that felt all wrong. So I debated briefly between twin and adjacent, then threw adjacent in, figuring it didn't really matter because whatever I put down was going to be wrong.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Had no idea on the sports Q yesterday, but golf was my first guess. So of course I spent a bunch of time trying to think what else it could be, settling on baseball because of the College World Series in Nebraska. Turned a win into a tie. Sigh.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

I misspelled "Mersenne" (added an I), so maybe helped prevent it's being MCWA.
MinnesotaMyron wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:05 am Had no idea on the sports Q yesterday, but golf was my first guess. So of course I spent a bunch of time trying to think what else it could be, settling on baseball because of the College World Series in Nebraska. Turned a win into a tie. Sigh.
I happened to remember the 1975 (I think) US Open was in Medinah. My opponent's sports record wasn't very good, but I still defended it low because i sensed golf was an obvious thing to guess.
I'm smart and I want respect.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

"linked" -> links -> golf. Simple as that.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

classicroadster wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:35 am I was a little surprised he didn't ask for both Frost and Nixon...I re-read the question like 15 times to make sure he only wanted one. 4(4) - 0(0) win to get me in the top 3 of D Magnolia D2.
No penalty for putting down both. You could have even said Frost and Julius Caesar and been counted as correct.

Got my first three pointer of the season for Trojan Horse. I was surprised to get three for that. I didn’t know that was it, but the description made it WECIB. Then I got zero for a total guess on Mildred Pierce, a movie I have never seen and a book I have never read. Never heard of the HBO version. All I knew about it was that it exists.

Nixon was an instaget and I recognized a couple of those places as hosting golf tournaments. No guess on the other two but still got a 6(4)-0(1) win. I have played very excellent lucky defense so far this season.
Charis
Contributor

Post by Charis »

RandyG wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:05 pm
I don't know if being a toddler in 1977 qualifies me as younger anymore, but I did indeed take a lucky guess on Nixon based on the date. Once I saw the answer, I remembered about the movie.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

I am embarrassed by how long it took me to remember Mildred Pierce.

For the golf one, I was like, "Medinah? That sounds familiar. No idea, though. submits THAT's why I know Medinah."
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.