LL83: Learned League

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Re: LL83: Learned League

Post by StevenH »

I nearly had a Buckner loss yesterday, as I lost 4(3)-5(2). I was not expecting Prussic and bionicle to be my opponent's only gets.

I thought of Prussia and didn't even know if I was on the right track and didn't know how to turn it into a 7-letter adjective, so I just put Prussia.

I wasn't sure if there was a "g" at the end of Kim il Sung's name and got credit even while omitting it, though my opponent gave me a 0 for that one.

I'm 34 and am terrible at pop music and TV, but Soul Train was an instant get. I expected that one to play easy, but since my opponent was Canadian I was a little afraid that they would miss that one.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

StevenH wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:29 pm I thought of Prussia and didn't even know if I was on the right track and didn't know how to turn it into a 7-letter adjective, so I just put Prussia.
Pretty sure every acid in existence ends in either -ic or -ous, so that may help in the future.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

twelvefootboy wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:16 am
This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:30 am Age was probably as important to whether you knew "Soul Train" as much as TV knowledge. It's hard for me to imagine anyone close to my age (49) not remembering it.
I think demography is also a big factor. I'm aware of the show only as a pop culture reference from SNL skits or whatever. I expect Soul Train never aired anywhere in the Grain Belt except for local UHF stations in the cities. Too much money to be made airing Preachers and infomercials.

The syndicated vs. network distinction didn't help me any, I assumed they were all network shows at one time. When you get off the tractor and go in the house, you don't overthink what is on the boob tube.

eta - the UHF reference has triggered some flashbacks to the olden ways. many tv's didn't even have the UHF tuner and when they appeared it was like a mystery knob that you could sometimes summon a snowy picture late at night from Metropolis or Gotham City. Of course you had to use pliers to change the channel as the knob was always broken :). okay - gotta walk uphill to school now.
don't forget jingling your keys to change the channel on some of the tv's with remotes which operated by sound
Total game show career losings = $171,522
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

triviawayne wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:45 pm don't forget jingling your keys to change the channel on some of the tv's with remotes which operated by sound
Now that's something I don't remember.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Kim Il-Sung came up about 10 seasons ago. Missed him then, and missed him again this time
Lefty
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Lefty »

twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:15 pm
Lefty wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:30 pm I realized also I didn't know the difference between corundum and carborundum (aluminum oxide and silicon carbide; now I know. And the latter is used to fake diamonds).
Maybe you are thinking of cubic zirconia for the faux diamonds? SiC is an incredible, and completely man-made material widely used in abrasives and technical ceramics (and it is grayish-black). It is harder than any other natural material except diamond, and only a few man-made materials are harder than it is (Boron Carbide is the only important one - the rest are novelties :)).
My comment was based on the wikipedia article, which was still a fresh read at that time. I couldn't speak with the same authority today. But I see the article says "simulate diamonds", which might be different matter from faking (that is, you're not actually trying to fool anyone).

I also guessed spun sugar, and "The Incredibles" for the Lego creatures. NHO either correct answer. Prussic acid I remember from an Agatha Christie, and am comfortably old enough to know Soul Train, which my opponent possibly sensed, as she zeroed me on it despite my unimpressive television and pop music scores.
I'm smart and I want respect.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

It was a good thing Gallic is only 6 letters. Then, going around the map in my head I came up with Prussia and remembered that Prussian blue is a thing. Didn't help, but at least I had the satisfaction of getting it right.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

Playing from the sidelines. I opted for Plath over Dickinson, but in retrospect, I should have gotten it because of the "Yellow Rose of Texas" rule.

I never knew why turbinado sugar was called that, but I figured it out.

My Pop Music score isn't so good, but I'm 58 so "Soul Train" was an instaget.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

econgator wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:01 pm
StevenH wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:29 pm I thought of Prussia and didn't even know if I was on the right track and didn't know how to turn it into a 7-letter adjective, so I just put Prussia.
Pretty sure every acid in existence ends in either -ic or -ous, so that may help in the future.
Aqua Regia will be one exception, although as a solution, it might already be under different rules.

I'm too far removed from schooling to know if the nomenclature requires the -ic ending. Offhand, I can't think of any -ous endings. It is used to distinguish between valence states of metal oxides such as ferric oxide and ferrous oxide. I'm not sure about halide or other binary compounds. Again, all I recall from Alchemy class was making that homunculus :).
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
mrparadise

Post by mrparadise »

Linear Gnome wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:47 pm Playing from the sidelines. I opted for Plath over Dickinson, but in retrospect, I should have gotten it because of the "Yellow Rose of Texas" rule.

If I hadn't gotten stuck on Anne Bradstreet (ah, of course, back in colonial times she wouldn't have been able to publish much, certainly not those titles) I think I would have eventually recalled that Emily, rather famously, kept her poems to herself. Didn't matter, my opponent forfeited, first victory that way in many moons.

The Yellow Rose of Texas rule sounds interesting. I haven't a clue, please explicate.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

mrparadise wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:51 pm
Linear Gnome wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:47 pm Playing from the sidelines. I opted for Plath over Dickinson, but in retrospect, I should have gotten it because of the "Yellow Rose of Texas" rule.

If I hadn't gotten stuck on Anne Bradstreet (ah, of course, back in colonial times she wouldn't have been able to publish much, certainly not those titles) I think I would have eventually recalled that Emily, rather famously, kept her poems to herself. Didn't matter, my opponent forfeited, first victory that way in many moons.

The Yellow Rose of Texas rule sounds interesting. I haven't a clue, please explicate.
Most Dickinson poems have the same meter as "The Yellow Rose of Texas", so you can sing them to that tune.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WUd0M0nSWo

(although what Dodger sings is by Edna St. Vincent Millay instead of Dickinson)
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

teapot37 wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:00 pm
mrparadise wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:51 pm

Most Dickinson poems have the same meter as "The Yellow Rose of Texas", so you can sing them to that tune.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WUd0M0nSWo

(although what Dodger sings is by Edna St. Vincent Millay instead of Dickinson)
Or the Gilligan's Island theme!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSta5iO--Lg
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

twelvefootboy wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:02 pm
Aqua Regia will be one exception, although as a solution, it might already be under different rules.

I'm too far removed from schooling to know if the nomenclature requires the -ic ending. Offhand, I can't think of any -ous endings. It is used to distinguish between valence states of metal oxides such as ferric oxide and ferrous oxide. I'm not sure about halide or other binary compounds. Again, all I recall from Alchemy class was making that homunculus :).
Econ is right: -ic or -ous is the rule. Examples of the latter are nitrous and sulfurous acids.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Commish updated the Interstitial page YouTube video. It's not the basketball kid anymore. It's now some dude and his wild dancing. I enjoyed it.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:21 am Commish updated the Interstitial page YouTube video. It's not the basketball kid anymore. It's now some dude and his wild dancing. I enjoyed it.
Dang, I missed it.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Wahaddi just wasn't close enough. Nor was dropout.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Volante wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:29 am Wahaddi just wasn't close enough. Nor was dropout.
Yup, I thought I had a chance with The Dropout (almost took a flier with The Graduate, which would have been a hoot) but no love without the modifier.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

Woof wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:39 am
Volante wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:29 am Wahaddi just wasn't close enough. Nor was dropout.
Yup, I thought I had a chance with The Dropout (almost took a flier with The Graduate, which would have been a hoot) but no love without the modifier.
Graduation was Kanye's third album. His second: Late Registration.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I was surprised at the 40% get rate on Wahhabi. That's something that doesn't sound at all familiar to me. Cost me a tight one yesterday, losing 7(5)-6(5). My opponent missed "The College Dropout." I've always thought my defense was pretty good, but this is the second straight season I'm struggling defensively. Currently sitting at a .536 DE.
classicroadster

Post by classicroadster »

Yesterday was one of my most frustrating days in 10 seasons. So close to a 4(4)-3(3) win but I a. Talked myself our of Oprah because I thought the question summarized all the books the author had written and I figured she's written a lot more; b. I couldn't name a single Kanye album but left off "college" because the question said named "in part" so figured it wasn't the whole term college drop out; and c. read the geology part of the clue and thought, a fine grained rock with larger pieces in it is conglomerate and never read the math clue which would've lead me to matrix. So I lost 0(1) - 3(3), ugh.