LL83: Learned League

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Post Reply
User avatar
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool
Posts: 4057
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:53 pm

Re: LL83: Learned League

Post by Woof » Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:16 pm

RandyG wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:16 pm
It didn't matter in the match results, but I was given credit for "serum albumin" on the blood question. Any thoughts?: is that effectively close enough to the more general answer of just "serum" or did the scoring algorithm see the intended answer in the first word and stop there?

I couldn't tell you what these things actually are. I just took a stab at what I vaguely knew as a blood component that sounded like a reasonable answer.
Albumin is a protein (the most common one in mammals). Ovalbumin is the protein that makes up egg whites; serum albumin is the version of the protein that circulates in the bloodstream. So, yeah, you benefitted from the first word being the intended answer (in the same way that my response of Rijksmuseum Vincent Van Gogh was marked correct :mrgreen: )

User avatar
alietr
Site Admin
Posts: 6737
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:20 pm
Location: Bethesda, MD

Re: LL83: Learned League

Post by alietr » Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:50 pm

AFTER I submitted, I looked in my wallet, and lo and behold!
20191116_164636_resized.jpg
20191116_164636_resized.jpg (195.85 KiB) Viewed 848 times

User avatar
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur
Posts: 6675
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:42 pm
Contact:

Re: LL83: Learned League

Post by Volante » Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:56 pm

alietr wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:50 pm
AFTER I submitted, I looked in my wallet, and lo and behold!
Spoiler
Show
20191116_164636_resized.jpg
I hate how the reworks no longer include the city. You have to rely on $1s or $2s for that these days

User avatar
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 1648
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:24 am

Re: LL83: Learned League

Post by gnash » Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:05 pm

Thanks to a couple of lucky guesses (Bears, Do the Right Thing), I am sitting at the top of my rundle for the first time since March 16, 2018 (LL 76, day 16).

User avatar
alietr
Site Admin
Posts: 6737
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:20 pm
Location: Bethesda, MD

Re: LL83: Learned League

Post by alietr » Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:33 pm

Volante wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:56 pm
alietr wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:50 pm
AFTER I submitted, I looked in my wallet, and lo and behold!
Spoiler
Show
20191116_164636_resized.jpg
I hate how the reworks no longer include the city. You have to rely on $1s or $2s for that these days
Yeah, I was surprised when I looked at my 10s and 20s and they weren't there. Didn't know they had gone away.

User avatar
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month
Posts: 1854
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:23 pm
Location: Marana, AZ
Contact:

Re: LL83: Learned League

Post by RandyG » Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:00 pm

Woof wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:16 pm
RandyG wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:16 pm
It didn't matter in the match results, but I was given credit for "serum albumin" on the blood question. Any thoughts?: is that effectively close enough to the more general answer of just "serum" or did the scoring algorithm see the intended answer in the first word and stop there?

I couldn't tell you what these things actually are. I just took a stab at what I vaguely knew as a blood component that sounded like a reasonable answer.
Albumin is a protein (the most common one in mammals). Ovalbumin is the protein that makes up egg whites; serum albumin is the version of the protein that circulates in the bloodstream. So, yeah, you benefitted from the first word being the intended answer (in the same way that my response of Rijksmuseum Vincent Van Gogh was marked correct :mrgreen: )
Thanks for the update!
"The COMPLETE GUIDE To Republican Ethics: tRump Edition" is right ===> here

User avatar
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire
Posts: 1105
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:27 pm

Re: LL83: Learned League

Post by trainman » Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:20 pm

Bamaman wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:55 am
There was a promo for Kangaroo where someone sang “Good morning, Captain”.
Not just a promo, that was how the show started in the mid-to-late-'70s -- a montage of a few people (including some CBS personalities) saying "Good morning, Captain," Captain Kangaroo saying "good morning," and then into the theme song.

Example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njp86LvhSQQ

User avatar
georgespelvin
The Charlie Brown of Jeopardy Auditions
Posts: 850
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:40 pm

Re: LL83: Learned League

Post by georgespelvin » Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:56 am

I should take off a few seasons more often. Apparently I then get to return in a new rundle of newer players. I'm off to my first 3-0 start ever and am the only undefeated and untied player in my rundle. :D

About the only thing that went wrong for me this week (in terms of missing a question I should have gotten right) was Captain Kangaroo. I said the CBS Morning News because I knew that there were several iterations of CBS's eternally ratings-challenged program and that "CBS Morning News" was its title in the 1970s. Of course, I HAD watched Captain Kangaroo as a kid but didn't think of it. A little embarrassing because one of my former community theater directors worked on the show on the production side for years and has some really amazing scrapbooks from her experience.

Coincidentally, on the morning of Day 2 I was watching on You Tube network coverage of the Apollo 12 launch from 50 years ago that day and there was a clip from the "CBS Morning News" but I can't even blame that since I had sent in my answers beforehand.
I used to be AWSOP but wanted to be more theatrical.

User avatar
cmp146
Jeopardy! Contestant
Posts: 313
Joined: Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:31 pm

Re: LL83: Learned League

Post by cmp146 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:26 pm

Woof wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:16 pm
RandyG wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:16 pm
It didn't matter in the match results, but I was given credit for "serum albumin" on the blood question. Any thoughts?: is that effectively close enough to the more general answer of just "serum" or did the scoring algorithm see the intended answer in the first word and stop there?

I couldn't tell you what these things actually are. I just took a stab at what I vaguely knew as a blood component that sounded like a reasonable answer.
Albumin is a protein (the most common one in mammals). Ovalbumin is the protein that makes up egg whites; serum albumin is the version of the protein that circulates in the bloodstream. So, yeah, you benefitted from the first word being the intended answer (in the same way that my response of Rijksmuseum Vincent Van Gogh was marked correct :mrgreen: )
Albumin is the most prevalent protein in human plasma and helps maintain osmotic pressure. Collagen, which is in connective tissue, is the most prevalent in the body, at 25% of all proteins if you believe in my cell biology textbook and Wikipedia. :-)

User avatar
MollyQMurphy
Silver Medalist
Posts: 120
Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:01 pm

Re: LL83: Learned League

Post by MollyQMurphy » Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:58 pm

RandyG wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:16 pm
It didn't matter in the match results, but I was given credit for "serum albumin" on the blood question. Any thoughts?: is that effectively close enough to the more general answer of just "serum" or did the scoring algorithm see the intended answer in the first word and stop there?

I couldn't tell you what these things actually are. I just took a stab at what I vaguely knew as a blood component that sounded like a reasonable answer.
I answered "sera" which is the plural of "serum". Not sure if it would have been correct anyway, but I read on Thorsten's desk that it was permissible to write about today's answer, so I respectfully requested he count mine. Got no answer back except yes, it was counted as correct. (Which is the non-email reply i expected, regardless of the ruling.)

I think if you look at the discussion of how things are scored, it would show that "albumin" added would not affect your scoring. I'm a rookie, so I could be wrong. But it seems to show that, if the corrector is scanning for a one word answer, and the first word you wrote is correct, the corrector disregards any further words as irrelevant.
Pending...

User avatar
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month
Posts: 1854
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:23 pm
Location: Marana, AZ
Contact:

Re: LL83: Learned League

Post by RandyG » Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:39 pm

MollyQMurphy wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:58 pm
RandyG wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:16 pm
It didn't matter in the match results, but I was given credit for "serum albumin" on the blood question. Any thoughts?: is that effectively close enough to the more general answer of just "serum" or did the scoring algorithm see the intended answer in the first word and stop there?

I couldn't tell you what these things actually are. I just took a stab at what I vaguely knew as a blood component that sounded like a reasonable answer.
I answered "sera" which is the plural of "serum". Not sure if it would have been correct anyway, but I read on Thorsten's desk that it was permissible to write about today's answer, so I respectfully requested he count mine. Got no answer back except yes, it was counted as correct. (Which is the non-email reply i expected, regardless of the ruling.)

I think if you look at the discussion of how things are scored, it would show that "albumin" added would not affect your scoring. I'm a rookie, so I could be wrong. But it seems to show that, if the corrector is scanning for a one word answer, and the first word you wrote is correct, the corrector disregards any further words as irrelevant.
I appreciate your input.

I imagine that answering with a plural where the singular was expected, or vice versa, would almost surely be accepted, except in cases where it's clearly ruled out.

It's been established for a while that the auto-corrector may ignore anything beyond the number of words that it's expecting. I was questioning whether my answer was actually/factually wrong or explicitly accepted as close enough, as far as any manual evaluation may have been done. Since it didn't matter on the match outcome, I let it go, as Thorsten has regularly more than enough on his plate. I recall something similar happening many, many seasons ago. I messaged Thorsten about my concern and his reply was effectively "just consider it a bonus" since it didn't affect the outcome.
"The COMPLETE GUIDE To Republican Ethics: tRump Edition" is right ===> here

User avatar
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur
Posts: 6675
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:42 pm
Contact:

Re: LL83: Learned League

Post by Volante » Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:55 am

Why did the flax clue have to include 'flaxseed'? Made me overthink and rule out 'linseed'...

User avatar
alietr
Site Admin
Posts: 6737
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:20 pm
Location: Bethesda, MD

Re: LL83: Learned League

Post by alietr » Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:04 am

In keeping with the "don't discuss nothing" rule, I have deleted two posts that were reported, although I don't think they were damaging in any way. If there is an issue for Thorsten to resolve, that is on him.

User avatar
morbeedo
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool
Posts: 2410
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:58 pm

Re: LL83: Learned League

Post by morbeedo » Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:58 am

MD1 L :o
MD2 T :)
MD3 W :P
MD4 W :lol:

Trending in the right direction!

User avatar
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool
Posts: 4057
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:53 pm

Re: LL83: Learned League

Post by Woof » Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:59 am

morbeedo wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:58 am
MD1 L :o
MD2 T :)
MD3 W :P
MD4 W :lol:

Trending in the right direction!
I hope to change that :mrgreen:

User avatar
morbeedo
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool
Posts: 2410
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:58 pm

Re: LL83: Learned League

Post by morbeedo » Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:26 pm

Woof wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:59 am
morbeedo wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:58 am
MD1 L :o
MD2 T :)
MD3 W :P
MD4 W :lol:

Trending in the right direction!
I hope to change that :mrgreen:
Sure. You can win MD5, but only if I get The Call before you do!

User avatar
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool
Posts: 4057
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:53 pm

Re: LL83: Learned League

Post by Woof » Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:31 pm

morbeedo wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:26 pm
Woof wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:59 am
morbeedo wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:58 am
MD1 L :o
MD2 T :)
MD3 W :P
MD4 W :lol:

Trending in the right direction!
I hope to change that :mrgreen:
Sure. You can win MD5, but only if I get The Call before you do!
Were you the guy who bought Manhattan?

User avatar
Lefty
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 872
Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:49 pm

Re: LL83: Learned League

Post by Lefty » Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:42 pm

Volante wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:55 am
Why did the flax clue have to include 'flaxseed'? Made me overthink and rule out 'linseed'...
That was me too. I changed to "linoleum" in the last minutes, figuring "oleum" means oil but isn't the exact same word.
I'm smart and I want respect.

User avatar
morbeedo
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool
Posts: 2410
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:58 pm

Re: LL83: Learned League

Post by morbeedo » Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:19 am

Surprised to see the question about the US state and the tony winning musical / academy award winning film now has 8 possible answers!!? I dismissed Illinois (did Chicago win best musical?) and went with Tennessee (for Memphis the musical and assuming Nashville must have won for the Oscar for best song). When I submitted, the 2 answers shown were Tennessee and Alabama.

Alas, my BWA attempt went unanswered:

LITERATURE -- Among the "Children's and Household Tales" (Kinder- und Hausmärchen) collected by Jacob and Wilhelm Grimm are"The Frog Prince", "Hansel and Gretel", "Rapunzel", "Rumpelstiltskin", and a tale with a title sometimes translated to "The Story of a Boy Who Went Forth to Learn" what? By the end of the story, despite numerous ordeals, he still hadn't learned it. THE ART OF THE DEAL

User avatar
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool
Posts: 1530
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:50 pm

Re: LL83: Learned League

Post by triviawayne » Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:49 am

for the heavy water question:

did anyone else specifically not put heavy because of the word heavier in the question. Even with the bad music/film question, this took away my win and gave me a tie :(
Total game show career losings = $171,522

Post Reply