Fourth Podium Poll for 11/7/2019 - Thursday TOC (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which of these triple stumpers did you get?

$800 U.S. ISLANDS: This South Carolina island is roughly 12 miles long, 5 miles wide & home to more than 20 championship golf courses (Eric guessed Myrtle Beach)
58%
$1000 BUGLE CALLS: Wondering what's going on back home on the farm? Then you'll be happy hearing the sequence called this "call" (Josh guessed Cattle Call)
16%
$800 BUGLE CALLS: This bugle call means lay off those trigger fingers, the enemy has had enough (Emma guessed surrender)
28%
$400 BUGLE CALLS: Let's go, everyone! This bugle call often associated with the cavalry is being sounded! (Eric guessed Reveille)
62%
$2000 THE HUMAN BODY: It's the 9-letter medical name for the heel bone, the largest bone in the foot
9%
$2000 GHOSTWRITERS: It's fitting that this British occultist was a ghostwriter, penning some of Evangeline Adams' astrological works
18%
I did not get any of these
11%

Total votes: 74

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Fourth Podium Poll for 11/7/2019 - Thursday TOC (SPOILERS)

Post by opusthepenguin »

At this point I may as well finish out the tournament with these fourth podium polls. They're enjoyable even when you can't win from that hypothetical platform. I thought about extracting the video for the bugle calls so everyone could hear them and refresh their memory. Then I went and lay down until the feeling passed. I mean THREE of the six triple stumpers were in that category.
CORRECT RESPONSES
$800 U.S. ISLANDS: Hilton Head
$1000 BUGLE CALLS: Mail Call
$800 BUGLE CALLS: Cease Fire
$400 BUGLE CALLS: Charge!
$2000 THE HUMAN BODY: the calcaneus
$2000 GHOSTWRITERS: Aleister Crowley
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Fourth Podium Poll for 11/7/2019 - Thursday TOC (SPOILERS)

Post by MarkBarrett »

-1200 for me only getting $400 in Bugle and negging on the $800 (think I said retreat) as well as taking a swing with Myrtle Beach for another $800 blown.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

I only got charge in "bugle calls," and I negged with Myrtle Beach for Hilton Head.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
Plactus

Post by Plactus »

I got Mail Call, Charge, and Crowley for $3400. But I have to deduct $800 because I said Herman's Head :lol:, leaving me with $2600.
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

:mrgreen: :| :| :mrgreen: :| :|

$1200 for me with Hilton Head and Charge. I knew Myrtle Beach wasn't an island, so that neg didn't tempt me. I have to think that the player who knew hallux* yesterday was in the audience today saying "calcaneus" under his breath. I suspect that a professional sports gambler would also know Hilton Head pretty readily. But for the most part this crew seem like the sort of players who would be able to make James work for his money rather than handing it to him. Sad that it's already over for Fred WillardEric.

---------------
* My spellchecker suggests that hallux is misspelled and that I really mean phallus. No, spellchecker. No I do not.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

$3200.

I miss Hilton Head every *^$&%#^ time. And I realllllly wanted to check the box for calcaneus. arggh.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

hilton head, charge, and crowley...got to thank ozzy osbourne for making me aware of mr. crowley
Last edited by CasketRomance on Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bigdogstalfos
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Bigdogstalfos »

I completely butchered the pronunciation of calcaneus to the point where I had to look up in the commercial break how it was actually spelled.

Watched way too many of those stupid occult shows on History Channel to not get Crowley. Or the Ozzy song. Or Supernatural.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :| :( :| :|

$1800 - $400
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Douglas Squasoni
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

$2K for Hilton Head, Charge, and Cease Fire.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

$5200. I've been to Hilton Head. Calcaneus - I took an anatomy class in college. Got Aleister Crowley courtesy of Ozzy Osbourne.

The rest of my DJ! performance was pretty hideous, though.
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

$1200 for Charge and Cease Fire. The latter was an educated guess based on the clue rather than knowing the call.

If it's not already, "South Carolina island" probably needs to be a pavlov to Hilton Head - at least for me. I'm sure I've seen that one multiple times on J! and I miss it every time.
--Peter
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Peter the accountant wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:33 am $1200 for Charge and Cease Fire. The latter was an educated guess based on the clue rather than knowing the call.

If it's not already, "South Carolina island" probably needs to be a pavlov to Hilton Head - at least for me. I'm sure I've seen that one multiple times on J! and I miss it every time.
Better make that South Carolina island RESORT = Hilton Head. South Carolina island + Marines = Parris, and that comes up from time to time. And South Carolina island + opera = Porgy and Bess.

EDIT: Admittedly the clue in this game didn't mention the word "resort". But if you can't figure out which pavlov corresponds to "more than 20 championship golf courses", maybe you should give up on Jeopardy! and try Wheel instead.
What? What'd I say?
Last edited by opusthepenguin on Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

Ran bugle calls, have visited Hilton Head, and my former A&P students would have been either shocked or gleeful had I missed calcaneus. However, I do have to admit that the only Crowley I've ever heard of was on Downton Abbey.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

AFRET CMS wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:32 pm Ran bugle calls, have visited Hilton Head, and my former A&P students would have been either shocked or gleeful had I missed calcaneus. However, I do have to admit that the only Crowley I've ever heard of was on Downton Abbey.
Do they use bugle calls in the AF? In the Navy, the only ones we ever heard were Taps and Reveille.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

econgator wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:44 pm
AFRET CMS wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:32 pm Ran bugle calls, have visited Hilton Head, and my former A&P students would have been either shocked or gleeful had I missed calcaneus. However, I do have to admit that the only Crowley I've ever heard of was on Downton Abbey.
Do they use bugle calls in the AF? In the Navy, the only ones we ever heard were Taps and Reveille.
Pretty much the same in USAF. Taps at retreat most of the time, sometimes (not often) Reveille in the morning when deployed. Also USAF uses "To the Color" frequently as the flag goes up in the morning an hour or so after Reveille -- and To the Color would have been a great inclusion in the category as many people are familiar with it without knowing the name (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EsUvNz_i60).

Got "Charge" from hearing it everywhere all my life (although in the movie Gettysburg when Chamberlain orders a charge the bugler plays a melody I'd not heard elsewhere). First Call was very recognizable as "To the Post" at racetracks. Cease Fire and Mail Call came from the TOM in the clues.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:13 pmEDIT: Admittedly the clue in this game didn't mention the word "resort". But if you can't figure out which pavlov corresponds to "more than 20 championship golf courses", maybe you should give up on Jeopardy! and try Wheel instead.
Go stuff yourself.

And your images are not working.
--Peter
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Nothing for me this game. Crowley was the only one I had a chance on; maybe if I hadn't been exhausted after a nearly sleepless night and busy day. (Although maybe if I was better rested I could have come up with a name for a bugle call or two, but Reveille and Taps were the only calls I previously knew by name.)
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

The Bugle call category reminded me of that Flintstones episode where Betty and Wilma go on a spending spree, “dun dun dun dun dun... chaaaaarge it!”