Friday, February 17, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Re: Friday, February 17, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by dhkendall »

Wondering, with the "Tosh.0" question, I immediately said "The Comedy Network" as that's the network I see ads for it on all the time. We don't get Comedy Central here (not unless it's on some high-falutin' digital package), due to, I presume, The Comedy Network running a lot of Comedy Central's shows for Canuck viewers. (In fact, whenever I see a link to a Comedy Central show's clip that's hosted on CC's website, I click on it, and it tells me that I can't view that in my area, have to watch it on TCN's page instead (providing me with a helpful link to thecomedynetwork.ca, but not to the page on that domain that has that clip I was looking for on comedycentral.com! Fat lot of help it is - and I fall for it every. single. time.)

Anyways, long story short, would I be awarded credit for my answer, as Tosh.0 is indeed aired on The Comedy Network? (I did mark it wrong, expecting a "no", but I'd like to be pleasantly surprised!)

As for FJ: would never have gotten it if you had spotted me "Emma".
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I would accept The Comedy Network. The category didn't say anything about having to be the network the show originated on, did it?
Frank Hardy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Frank Hardy »

I was amazed at the clue which mentioned the Calvinists to which the correct response was, "Who are Lutherans?" I cannot quote it verbatim from memory, but it essentially stated that this group, predecessors of Calvinists, did not rely as much on the Bible in the formulation of doctrine. I would have given the response they were looking for had I been a contestant, but Martin Luther and the other authors of the Book of Concord must be rolling over in their graves. That was the most poorly written clue in a long time.
Sage on the Hudson

The grace is always plus vert

Post by Sage on the Hudson »

Roadgeek Adam wrote:Would Pope John Paul be considered correct, or would I be BMS'd on it?
The earlier clue about Elizabeth I being "Good Bess" certainly demanded that the respondent make the distinction between Lizzes, and so it should be with the John Pauls (I replied "Who's Albino Cardinal Luciani?", but that's just me).

Segueing to more important matters, I'm sick and tired of the judges and Alex accepting "coup de gras" for coup de grace. The error not only changes pronunciation, but meaning ("coup de gras" means -- or would mean, if any native speaker ever uttered such an absurdity in the entire history of the French language -- "stroke of fat," as opposed to coup de grace's meaning: "merciful stroke." Now one can certainly suffer a stroke from being fat, but the stupid proclivities of Americans vis-a-vis this expression are simply unacceptable).

A lot of people, who may not be very good at actually playing the game, still watch Jeopardy! to learn something. The perpetuation of inaccurate information is, then, counterproductive and destructive, and hardly worthy of the show's reputation (I've begun to wonder whether that reputation was, in fact, ever deserved).

For the judges to allow it is ignorant and disgusting. Fire them. All of them. Now.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

It took me about 20 seconds to parse through the syntax of FJ. "She", "her"? Which she? Which her? I was really only coming up with Rowling but knew that couldn't be right. Never would have gotten to Emma, alas.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
econgator wrote:
Roadgeek Adam wrote:Would Pope John Paul be considered correct, or would I be BMS'd on it?
Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if they outright negged you on it.

Wouldn't have gotten FJ if you had given me a month to think about it.
My mind went nowhere. Went with "Anne of Green Gables" as a WAG.
And if you think that was bad, be assured my WAG was embarrasingly worse. I had no idea what kind of character they were looking for, and usually if you ask me about a movie made in X year I am hopelessly lost. I know the movies all right, but not by year.
CGeditor
Valued Contributor

Post by CGeditor »

Frank Hardy wrote:I was amazed at the clue which mentioned the Calvinists to which the correct response was, "Who are Lutherans?" I cannot quote it verbatim from memory, but it essentially stated that this group, predecessors of Calvinists, did not rely as much on the Bible in the formulation of doctrine. I would have given the response they were looking for had I been a contestant, but Martin Luther and the other authors of the Book of Concord must be rolling over in their graves. That was the most poorly written clue in a long time.
I thought that was a little weird, too! I'll have to ask my Lutheran seminarian friend what he thinks.

"Emma" was an instaget, since I adore Jane Austen.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

MarkBarrett wrote: Is Evelyn Wood really worth $2000 these days? Other than the World Book I thought that was the easiest in the Library category.
Considering it was a sit and stare...
Sage on the Hudson wrote: Segueing to more important matters, I'm sick and tired of the judges and Alex accepting "coup de gras" for coup de grace. The error not only changes pronunciation, but meaning ("coup de gras" means -- or would mean, if any native speaker ever uttered such an absurdity in the entire history of the French language -- "stroke of fat," as opposed to coup de grace's meaning: "merciful stroke." Now one can certainly suffer a stroke from being fat, but the stupid proclivities of Americans vis-a-vis this expression are simply unacceptable).
If you only ever see 'coup de grace' in print and are unfamiliar with the habit of the French language adding twice the letters necessary, you should be forgiven for not knowing the pronunciation. When in doubt, go phonetic I believe is the rule.

Emma was an instaget. I pretty much had every Austen factoid I know collide in my brain at once while reading the clue "6 books, only title heroine, popular with the filmmakers..."
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Volante wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote: Is Evelyn Wood really worth $2000 these days? Other than the World Book I thought that was the easiest in the Library category.
Considering it was a sit and stare...
Sage on the Hudson wrote: Segueing to more important matters, I'm sick and tired of the judges and Alex accepting "coup de gras" for coup de grace. The error not only changes pronunciation, but meaning ("coup de gras" means -- or would mean, if any native speaker ever uttered such an absurdity in the entire history of the French language -- "stroke of fat," as opposed to coup de grace's meaning: "merciful stroke." Now one can certainly suffer a stroke from being fat, but the stupid proclivities of Americans vis-a-vis this expression are simply unacceptable).
If you only ever see 'coup de grace' in print and are unfamiliar with the habit of the French language adding twice the letters necessary, you should be forgiven for not knowing the pronunciation. When in doubt, go phonetic I believe is the rule.
Phonetic, though, is "coop dee grayse", which might not be accepted. The only difference between what the contestant said (which syncs up with what I usually hear) and what TRD (sorry, but SotH doesn't have the same ring to it, I hope that's OK with you) says is a faint "s" sound at the end, which we've noted before in J! often gets elided in English words anyways.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

dhkendall wrote:Phonetic, though, is "coop dee grayse", which might not be accepted. The only difference between what the contestant said (which syncs up with what I usually hear) and what TRD (sorry, but SotH doesn't have the same ring to it, I hope that's OK with you) says is a faint "s" sound at the end, which we've noted before in J! often gets elided in English words anyways.
But, it's not a faint 's'. It is a very strong 's'. The pronunciation is very close to the English 'grass'.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

If I were the judge, just saying John Paul would get a BMS.

I had Jane Eyre for FJ. I also was thinking of a series and got stuck on Harry Potter. Never would have gotten to Emma.

She says she's a big fan of the show. Did she not know that having $14,000 in a QF game is very safe territory for a wild card? Especially if one of your opponents has less than $7,000 so you can do no worse than second in this game. It worked out, but I did not like her bet at all. I'd have maxed out at $399 in her spot.

I wouldn't have made a bet the size he did, but it wasn't that big a deal.

I hate it when Alex calls something famous after a stand and stare. Its not that famous if three people on the show didn't know it.
davey

Post by davey »

bpmod wrote:
dhkendall wrote:Phonetic, though, is "coop dee grayse", which might not be accepted. The only difference between what the contestant said (which syncs up with what I usually hear) and what TRD (sorry, but SotH doesn't have the same ring to it, I hope that's OK with you) says is a faint "s" sound at the end, which we've noted before in J! often gets elided in English words anyways.
But, it's not a faint 's'. It is a very strong 's'. The pronunciation is very close to the English 'grass'.

Brian
Yes, I have to agree with the Sage on this one, if not with quite so much fervor. "Coop dee grayss," follows English pronunciation rules, and so should be acceptable. "Coo de grahss" follows French pronunciation. "Coo de graw" follows neither.
davey

Post by davey »

TenPoundHammer wrote:I would accept The Comedy Network. The category didn't say anything about having to be the network the show originated on, did it?
Since they accepted ESPN AND ABC for "Monday Night Football," I think it's all right.

Jane Austen is such an old standby on J! - not too much thought required for that one.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

davey wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:I would accept The Comedy Network. The category didn't say anything about having to be the network the show originated on, did it?
Since they accepted ESPN AND ABC for "Monday Night Football," I think it's all right.
But those two both show/ed first run broadcasts of MNF. Does Comedy Network show first run episodes of Tosh.0?
billy pilgrim

Post by billy pilgrim »

I believe it's Comedy Central, not The Comedy Network.
She caught the Katy and left me a mule to ride.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

billy pilgrim wrote:I believe it's Comedy Central, not The Comedy Network.
Did you miss Dhkendall's post at the top of the page?
dhkendall wrote:Wondering, with the "Tosh.0" question, I immediately said "The Comedy Network" as that's the network I see ads for it on all the time. We don't get Comedy Central here (not unless it's on some high-falutin' digital package), due to, I presume, The Comedy Network running a lot of Comedy Central's shows for Canuck viewers.
Sage on the Hudson

The Pursuit of the "Gras"'s Pay

Post by Sage on the Hudson »

Volante wrote:If you only ever see 'coup de grace' in print and are unfamiliar with the habit of the French language adding twice the letters necessary, you should be forgiven for not knowing the pronunciation. When in doubt, go phonetic I believe is the rule.
What difference does it make whether one has only seen something in print and never heard it spoken? One either knows something or one doesn't. The point is that the wrong pronunciation changes meaning completely, so that the speaker is saying something that the clue very clearly didn't ask for.

Even when two words or names are related etymologically (which "grace" and "gras" are not), if one, say, responds with "Caesar" when the clue demands "Kaiser" or "Tsar," one's obviously talking about the wrong fella and should be penalized.

Jeopardy!'s like life in general, then (in a rough paraphrasing of a remark attributed to Benjamin Disraeli): if one (in the most general sense; I certainly don't mean you, Volante) doesn't know what one is talking about, it's best to just shut up.
davey

Post by davey »

SkoolRN wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:The Addams Family began as cartoons? I did not know this. Major, major, MAJOR adaptation displacement there.

How the hell she did not get pumice? That was one of the four I actually got right in that round.

My mojo was really thrown off by the first four categories being way out of my league, then Not Gneiss being easy as pie (even though I had no clue on $400). "Ancient" was also mega-overvalued.

Absolutely lost on FJ! as usual.
The Addams Family got their start as occasional cartoons in the New Yorker. From there they went to the TV show (I think.)
More precisely, Charles Addams did cartoons about a weird family. Then they were bought and adapted for television, and the show was called The Addams Family.
jpahk
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by jpahk »

Austin Powers wrote:Best played game so far.
i quite agree. but is anybody else getting the impression that the writers have woefully miscalibrated some of the top-row clues (not just in this episode, but in all three games so far)? i can't stand that. for $200, what is wrong with just giving it to them? bill clinton's high school town, moana pacific, even spanish for "good afternoon", 1892 commemorative coin—these are considerably harder than the clues below them in the same category. at that valuation i'd ask for bill clinton's home state, spanish for "good day" (or "good night"), mention that the coin was for a quadricentennial, etc. there's at least one more category that i can't think of right now that was a TS* in the top row (maybe 1950s novels? what was the $400 there?), and top-row TSs are very rare in general. the clinton one was particularly bizarre because it was by far the hardest clue in the entire category.

*: yes, i know catherine got the spanish one. the point remains that it requires actual foreign language knowledge, whereas several of the clues below it could be gotten only from being literate in english.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

jpahk wrote:
Austin Powers wrote:Best played game so far.
i quite agree. but is anybody else getting the impression that the writers have woefully miscalibrated some of the top-row clues (not just in this episode, but in all three games so far)? i can't stand that. for $200, what is wrong with just giving it to them? bill clinton's high school town, moana pacific, even spanish for "good afternoon", 1892 commemorative coin—these are considerably harder than the clues below them in the same category. at that valuation i'd ask for bill clinton's home state, spanish for "good day" (or "good night"), mention that the coin was for a quadricentennial, etc. there's at least one more category that i can't think of right now that was a TS* in the top row (maybe 1950s novels? what was the $400 there?), and top-row TSs are very rare in general. the clinton one was particularly bizarre because it was by far the hardest clue in the entire category.

*: yes, i know catherine got the spanish one. the point remains that it requires actual foreign language knowledge, whereas several of the clues below it could be gotten only from being literate in english.
Perversely, being in the top row helped me on the Columbus clue - I had a nagging feeling it was Isabella (turns out, she was the first woman on an American stamp, and the year was 1892. One year later she was on a coin.), but I figured Isabella was too sneaky for the top row. So there's that.

The Hot Springs on the top row was made all the worse when the distracting answer - Hope - showed up a couple of clues later, and the contestants otherwise mauled a category that asked about a trade treaty for $2000, with the answer being NAFTA.

In the first game of the tourney, another odd question came with the person walking "across America" to the "new" city - I mean, it HAS to be New Orleans, since it's not New Bedford, and there's not a lot of "new" cities out there of note, but it seems strange to describe a walk from New York to the Mississippi River as "across America." (As it turns out, this is just part one, and he later finishes the trip). This was row two, I think.

And the 50s book you are thinking of was the "Eloise" series by Kay Thompson - again demonstrating your point, I feel like.