Friday, November 8, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Re: Friday, November 8, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:57 pm
seaborgium wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:34 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:40 pm What was the TOM for Hendrix on Rock for $400?
"burning it up at Monterey Pop": he literally set his guitar on fire at that festival.
That whole category was way too boomer-centric IMO.
"Classic rock guitarists" means something very particular. I ran the category.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

seaborgium wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:03 pm "Classic rock guitarists" means something very particular. I ran the category.
Yeah, "classic" would make it overly Boomer-centric. I'm just far too used to people pretending that music stopped mattering after 1979. Including people who were still a long way from being born yet in 1979. Strangely, Robby Kreiger was the only NHOI for me.

I still think Queen is absolute dogshit, though.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:40 pm What was the TOM for Hendrix on Rock for $400?
"burning it up at Monterey Pop": he literally set his guitar on fire at that festival.
Ok, Millie.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

seaborgium wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:03 pm
"Classic rock guitarists" means something very particular. I ran the category.
I ran it too and I am in my early 30s. Bands like Pink Floyd remain very popular among high school kids even today.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Ironhorse wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:15 pm I ran it too and I am in my early 30s. Bands like Pink Floyd remain very popular among high school kids even today.
Honestly I'd take that over the endless barrage of bland, dull, slow Top 40 drivel and mumble-rap that most of my coworkers listen to. Is it too much to ask for energy in music anymore?
CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by CasketRomance »

opusthepenguin wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:47 pm
Ok, Millie.
millie? the brat from little house on the prairie?
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:51 pm
Ironhorse wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:15 pm I ran it too and I am in my early 30s. Bands like Pink Floyd remain very popular among high school kids even today.
Honestly I'd take that over the endless barrage of bland, dull, slow Top 40 drivel and mumble-rap that most of my coworkers listen to. Is it too much to ask for energy in music anymore?
Amen.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

CasketRomance wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:14 am
Ok, Millie.
Are you thinking of Nellie Oleson? Anyway, "Millie" is short for Millennial. I was riffing ironically on the obnoxious "ok, boomer" meme.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

opusthepenguin wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:37 am
CasketRomance wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:14 am

Ok, Millie.
Are you thinking of Nellie Oleson? Anyway, "Millie" is short for Millennial. I was riffing ironically on the obnoxious "ok, boomer" meme.

yeah nellie...forgot she was a keith jackson kind of person
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:24 pm
seaborgium wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:03 pm "Classic rock guitarists" means something very particular. I ran the category.
Yeah, "classic" would make it overly Boomer-centric. I'm just far too used to people pretending that music stopped mattering after 1979. Including people who were still a long way from being born yet in 1979. Strangely, Robby Kreiger was the only NHOI for me.

I still think Queen is absolute dogshit, though.
i will agree with you on this...classic rock does blow
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I don't categorically hate all genres. Classic rock's biggest fault IMO is monstrous overexposure and over-praise by the people who actually grew up on that music, and stubborn traditionalists who cling to the same handful of artists and insist that no good music has existed since the end of the 70s.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:10 pm I don't categorically hate all genres. Classic rock's biggest fault IMO is monstrous overexposure and over-praise by the people who actually grew up on that music, and stubborn traditionalists who cling to the same handful of artists and insist that no good music has existed since the end of the 70s.

overexposure.
over-praise
cling
the last part.

Well put, especially the idol worship.

You are young enough to only have suffered 3 decades or so. This torture has been going on for almost 5 decades. I can't believe the crap my contemporaries listen to ON PURPOSE. Some pipe it into golf carts ON THE COURSE. I feel like I can empathize with people with gender dysphoria - I'm trapped in a boomer world and a boomer body and it WON'T GO AWAY!!
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

twelvefootboy wrote:

overexposure.
over-praise
cling
the last part.

You are young enough to only have suffered 3 decades or so. This torture has been going on for almost 5 decades. I can't believe the crap my contemporaries listen to ON PURPOSE. Some pipe it into golf carts ON THE COURSE. I feel like I can empathize with people with gender dysphoria - I'm trapped in a boomer world and a boomer body and it WON'T GO AWAY!!
Perhaps the most over-exposed artist of all time is Patsy Cline. Is it because she died that we have to hear her same half-dozen hits over and over and over again? Remanufactured into different CD compilations? Another one in that category is Buddy Holly. Yes, another plane crash victim. His modest output of hits doesn't justify the amount of airplay given to him.

I'm more okay with the amount of attention given to Elvis Presley. It seems to be more of a personal nature and less an obsession about his music. Other than the all Elvis Channel on satellite radio, Elvis's music doesn't get played that much.

I know that people who were around in the 60s like the Beatles. Are they ever going to stop waving the bloody shirt on that one?
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

floridagator wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:16 am I know that people who were around in the 60s like the Beatles. Are they ever going to stop waving the bloody shirt on that one?
Better The Beatles than the cast of Glee...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

floridagator wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:16 am
twelvefootboy wrote:

overexposure.
over-praise
cling
the last part.

Perhaps the most over-exposed artist of all time is Patsy Cline. Is it because she died that we have to hear her same half-dozen hits over and over and over again? Remanufactured into different CD compilations? Another one in that category is Buddy Holly. Yes, another plane crash victim. His modest output of hits doesn't justify the amount of airplay given to him.

I'm more okay with the amount of attention given to Elvis Presley. It seems to be more of a personal nature and less an obsession about his music. Other than the all Elvis Channel on satellite radio, Elvis's music doesn't get played that much.

I know that people who were around in the 60s like the Beatles. Are they ever going to stop waving the bloody shirt on that one?
Mozart died young... fast forward 200+ years and we're still hearing all about that guy too.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I do like Patsy Cline, but I doubt that anyone can name the other two singers who were killed in that same plane crash.

Elvis and the Beatles at least have big enough catalogs of hits for me not to feel burnt out. While not all of the Beatles' stuff is to my tastes, I at least find a lot of the experimental nature of it fascinating. All that stuff with messed-up tape speeds, stuff played backwards and/or on top of itself, unusual instruments, etc. -- I have no idea what you guys are trying to do on this song, but at least it's not boring.

Also, didn't people spend most of the 80s hating Queen, only to suddenly start deifying them once Mercury died?
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:51 pm I do like Patsy Cline, but I doubt that anyone can name the other two singers who were killed in that same plane crash.
Buddy Holly and the Big Bopper. Duh.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:51 pm I do like Patsy Cline, but I doubt that anyone can name the other two singers who were killed in that same plane crash.
Cowboy Copas was one
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

floridagator wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:09 pm
Cowboy Copas was one
Hawkshaw Hawkins was the third. I've actually heard "Lonesome 7-7203" on classic country formats before.