FJs for the 11/4/19 week

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which FJ! clues did you solve correctly for the 11/4/19 week?

Poll ended at Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:49 pm

According to Herodotus, a messenger was sent 150 miles from Athens to Sparta, just before this 490 B.C. battle
75%
In 1840 this New England state was home to 24 of the 100 most populous U.S. urban places; now, its capital is its only one in the top 100
83%
In 1939, turned down by 2 local theaters, Howard University was able to get an outdoor venue for this singer's yearly concert
45%
A derisive description of the shape of the houses in the 1908 painting "Houses at l'Estaque" gave this art style its name
54%
From an 1894 work, his name literally translates to "tiger king"  
59%
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I checked all five above.
19%
:( :( :( :( :(  I missed all the FJ! clues.
No votes
THE 2010s $1000: 2013 was a lucky year for Willem-Alexander of the Netherlands, inaugurated as king after this queen, his mom, abdicated
68%
THE HUMAN BODY $1200: Of the 2 types of glands in the skin, most of these are connected to hair follicles & secrete an oily substance
55%
BODIES OF WATER $2000: The Loire & the Garonne rivers flow into this large bay that's noted for its rough waves & heavy storms
62%
The "150 miles" in the Monday FJ! clue's wording kept me from guessing Marathon.
21%
Rhode Island was my incorrect guess for the Tuesday FJ! clue.
4%
Connecticut, Maine, New Hampshire or Vermont was my incorrect guess for the Tuesday FJ! clue.
12%
Billie Holiday or Ella Fitzgerald was my incorrect guess for the Wednesday FJ! clue.
14%
For the Friday FJ! clue I only got as far as Kipling and The Jungle Book though did not know the tiger's name.
24%
At least one of Battle of Marathon, Marian Anderson, cubism or Shere Khan was unfamiliar to me for having heard of previously before the relevant FJ! clue.
32%

Total votes: 105

twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: FJs for the 11/4/19 week

Post by twelvefootboy »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :( :(

Knew Marian, couldn't pull Anderson due to brainlock. I think I saw a "60 Minutes" ep about her and Eleanor Roosevelt's intervention in the affair that happened back when America was Great.

Guessed "Dada", because it sounds hoity toity. But I have heard of cubism, so, good clue.

Seen the words or phrase "Shere Khan". Didn't know it was a character. I did know they wanted Kipling.

Sebacious gland, check. Queen Beatrix, check. Geography, uncheck.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

:( :mrgreen: :( :( :mrgreen:
:( :( :(

Monday - Thermopylae
Wednesday - Ella Fitzgerald
Thursday - rococo

I simply didn't think of cubism and went down the route of trying to think of any style from that time. I eliminated dada because I know its actual name origin (someone randomly pointed to that word in the dictionary, it being French for "hobbyhorse").

I have heard of Marian Anderson before but her name didn't stick. I don't feel so bad for guessing Fitzgerald given how many others here went that route and that it was also the guess from my wife, who has a classical/opera background.
teapot37
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by teapot37 »

Honestly, I said Rhode Island because I thought "it's the TOC, and Massachusetts is WAY too obvious."
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
TreeOfHeaven
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by TreeOfHeaven »

Robert K S wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:34 pm If you spotted me Marian Anderson I probably could have told you she was an African-American singer and civil rights figure (somehow) but I didn't know the specific story about the Lincoln Memorial until this FJ!
I was torn between Anderson and Paul Robeson for some reason.
Hippest of the square, and squarest among the hip...
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

Very proud of my Friday answer. Princess of Power!
Carpe Diem
Boardeh

Post by Carpe Diem »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

:( :( :( :( :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

After a 14/15 streak in the three weeks leading up to the tournament, it took Shere Khan to save me from a shutout this week. Thermopylae, Connecticut, Billie Holiday, and Bauhaus made me feel stupider and stupider as the week went on.

Knew Bay of Biscay this week; also knew it when it showed up in one of my games several years ago in a clue about the Concorde's last flight. Since someone else beat me to the buzzer then, this week's right answer did me exactly much good.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.