Wednesday, November 13, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

cthulhu
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Wednesday, November 13, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by cthulhu »

Instaget FJ.

I confess I don’t remember Francois’ games, but he has been unflappable in his two games in the tournament. Now getting ready to watch the first Finals game...
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

talkingaway wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:09 pmHeck, I wonder if my cousins with a strong Boston accent would survive on J! - last night's answer "Gary Hart" would be "Gary Hot".
Not Gary Hat?
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Francois won as predicted, but this was anything but a foregone conclusion. Congrats to Lindsey and Gilbert for bringin' it. Congrats to Francois as well. Maybe he'll finally be able to afford that cedilla he's always wanted.

For the staple Andean crop that might eradicate world hunger, I said "soccer players". But deep down I knew I was probably wrong.

I really thought Francois said "Girl on a Train" and predicted a reversal. But I rewound and saw that the CC had the correct title, which suggested that no reversal would be forthcoming. It also seemed ambiguous enough on re-listen that I agree he should either have been asked to repeat himself or been given the benefit of the doubt. A later reversal would have been unfair. Still, I'm not surprised that several boardies heard it the way I initially did.

It was interesting to see a reversed decision being made in real time with Lindsey's "industrial revolution" response. Next clue selection still went to Gilbert though, who had rebounded with "industrialization". I guess that conforms to their twisted practice of letting rebounders keep their ill-gotten benefits after a reversal. Anyway, if they'd waited till before the next DD/break/FJ to issue the reversal as they usually do, Gilbert would have already selected the following clue and there'd be no way to reverse that.

Count me as another who knew they wanted the inventor of the barometer but couldn't pull the name.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:41 pm For the staple Andean crop that might eradicate world hunger, I said "soccer players". But deep down I knew I was probably wrong.
So wrong on so many levels.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

alietr wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:45 am
opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:41 pm For the staple Andean crop that might eradicate world hunger, I said "soccer players". But deep down I knew I was probably wrong.
For starters they were rugby players. I've got no other complaints about this. ;)
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:13 am
For starters they were rugby players. I've got no other complaints about this. ;)
Huh, you're right, they were rugby players. I guess I just remembered them being soccer players as well because what else do they play down there?
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

alietr wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:13 pm
Huh, you're right, they were rugby players. I guess I just remembered them being soccer players as well because what else do they play down there?
I didn't get the joke until the correction was made to rugby. Get your sports straight, people!

Also, LOL.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

heppm01 wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:57 am
alietr wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:13 pm
I didn't get the joke until the correction was made to rugby. Get your sports straight, people!

Also, LOL.
So the joke lands with an assist from Kirk. Glad my ignorance didn't spoil things. It didn't even occur to me to check my facts. It was firmly in my mind that they were fútbol players. I'd have rung in with confidence on a relevant Jeopardy! clue.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

This type of team was chowed down upon in the Andes in 1972.

Nah, I don't think Alex could read that one.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

alietr wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:53 pm This type of team was chowed down upon in the Andes in 1972.

I suppose a joke involving Rugby and Eton wouldn't fly either.

Help me, I can't stop myself.
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

opusthepenguin wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:18 pm
alietr wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:53 pm This type of team was chowed down upon in the Andes in 1972.

I suppose a joke involving Rugby and Eton wouldn't fly either.

Help me, I can't stop myself.
It was literally haute cuisine.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Talk about bad airplane food ...