Monday, November 18, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Re: Monday, November 18, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Volante »

For KABC viewers, all episodes got pushed back a day it looks like. Mon->Tue->...->Fri->Sat, so we can still get a local copy.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

reddpen wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:30 pm
hbomb1947 wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:00 pm I got FJ immediately off "City of Light." When I flew through Buffalo's airport to visit Niagara Falls this past Labor Day weekend, I did a little research on Buffalo and learned that it had acquired that moniker due to being the first U.S. city with widespread electric lighting (which was powered by hydroelectric juice from the nearby Falls). Anyway, once I had Buffalo, the year 1901 (due to the Pan-American Exposition and McKinley's assassination) just cemented it for me.

Re: Robert Wadlow - growing up, I used to get the new Guinness Book of World Records every year, and I remember Wadlow always being mentioned for his record height, which I recalled last night as being 8 foot-something.
8' 11.1", as I recall. Guy I knew in high school was a distant relative but about 5' 6".
Now THAT'S a distant relative. Almost three and a half feet distant.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

heppm01 wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:09 am I think it more likely that they are running the "tape" at a slightly increased speed. Each show is what - 22 minutes or so? Even a 2% increase would yield an extra 26 seconds and it would likely be imperceptible[*].

ETA: There is also time-compressed speech, although it seems less likely for this application.

ETA2: [* citation needed]. I did a quick search but could not find a threshold above which this would be perceptible to an untrained ear. I am open to corrections/education.
GSN used to do time-compression but they never did it right. Half the time they'd lean into it for a few seconds, and the whole Family Feud intro would sound like the Micro Machines man was doing it.

I have perfect pitch, so I would be able to detect even the slightest bit of speeding-up. Listening to "Rain" by the Beatles is super distracting for this reason.

A local radio station used to speed up most songs around 2 to 5% to cram in even more gasbagging and advertisements, and I could hear even that subtle a change. (It was all the more obvious on "Neon Light" by Blake Shelton, which got sped up more like 10%.)
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:29 pm
I have perfect pitch, so I would be able to detect even the slightest bit of speeding-up. Listening to "Rain" by the Beatles is super distracting for this reason.
How do you feel about historically informed performance practice where they play pieces by Bach, Beethoven, and even Mahler at the lower pitches (A435, A425, even A415) that the composers were likely writing for?
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: 34,000
47 R/6 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :(
LT: Tom Hanks, Flower Power, crop-top, cliff, Buddy Holly, F.W. Woolworth (DD), Gilbert Stuart (DD), potassium

I am fully aware that President McKinley was shot in Buffalo in 1901, but "tragic 1901 event" somehow didn't bring that to mind. I've also never heard of Buffalo referred to as the "City of Light." I went with Menlo Park knowing it had to be wrong.

I also did not recognize Steve Martin's voice at all. I hope you'll all excuuuuuuuse me for that.
Sprinkles are for winners.