It's happening!!! The GOAT Tourney, w/ Brad + Ken + James

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Ironhorse
Second Banana

Re: It's happening!!! The GOAT Tourney, w/ Brad + Ken + James

Post by Ironhorse »

JayK33 wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:11 am This really should be a tournament, though, of at least 15 players. Roger Craig oughta be involved, as well as Emma, Buzzy, Alex Jacob, and others. I'd put in David Madden and Larissa Kelly as well, especially since they were a part of the winning team in All-Stars.
I disagree; there have been enough tournaments that have included all of the above, but none like this, and I think few would dispute the separation of these three from the rest of the pack.
Lefty
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Lefty »

Ironhorse wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:18 am
JayK33 wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:11 am This really should be a tournament, though, of at least 15 players. Roger Craig oughta be involved, as well as Emma, Buzzy, Alex Jacob, and others. I'd put in David Madden and Larissa Kelly as well, especially since they were a part of the winning team in All-Stars.
I disagree; there have been enough tournaments that have included all of the above, but none like this, and I think few would dispute the separation of these three from the rest of the pack.
I agree that if the producers have a particular trio in mind for the final they really, really, want, the safest and most honest method is to make it a three-player tournament.
I'm smart and I want respect.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

but we've basically had this many times over, and Ken and Brad are always in at the end. This keeps it short and puts the new kid on the block against the old guard.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

ABC shows are on Hulu, but with the ownership and the regular show being syndicated, does anyone know yet if this will make it to Hulu?
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

I guess if this is airing on ABC, they won't be bringing Young Sheldon back to read clues. Bummer.
goongas

Post by goongas »

ABC shows are on Hulu, but with the ownership and the regular show being syndicated, does anyone know yet if this will make it to Hulu?
I think there would be a good chance this is on Hulu/ABC On Demand. I am not a Hulu subscriber, do they have Celebrity Family Feud on there? They would have to negotiate with Sony probably if they can put it on Hulu, but this show is separate from the syndicated show in terms of agreements with local stations I am guessing.
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

goongas wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:16 pm
I think there would be a good chance this is on Hulu/ABC On Demand. I am not a Hulu subscriber, do they have Celebrity Family Feud on there? They would have to negotiate with Sony probably if they can put it on Hulu, but this show is separate from the syndicated show in terms of agreements with local stations I am guessing.
it doesn't appear those episodes are currently available, but some things are available for a limited time after the airdate. FF may be one of those.

ABC on demand is only for those with a cable subscription, I don't have one, and can't get OTA channels where I live.
goongas

Post by goongas »

ABC on demand is only for those with a cable subscription, I don't have one, and can't get OTA channels where I live.
I have YouTube TV which gives me access. You should try a YouTube TV free trial (or other skinny cable service trial) in January to be able to watch ABC if you haven't already.
jeopardyfan939

Post by jeopardyfan939 »

If James wins this event, and Ken & Brad get the $250,000 prizes for being runners-up, then James surpasses Ken for second-place for all-time winnings; but Brad would still hold first place as he would have accumulated $4.9 million.

Another question I have is regarding the set they're going to use. I saw on another thread, either on here or Buy A Vowel Boards, that TPTB constructed a set specifically for the event. Is this the case or are they using the main set in Studio 10?
yclept

Post by yclept »

I like this format and it should be fun to watch. It will be interesting to see how Ken and Brad adjust to James’ style.

Jeopardy always loves to find a way to throw a big tournament into the mix. That will happen again within a few seasons, even if Alex isn’t the host at that point. This was a chance to get a guaranteed match between the three biggest guns. No need to risk a big upset in a tournament setting - just get them together one time guaranteed.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

Volante wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:57 pm
alietr wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:15 pm
Robert K S wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:28 pm
mas3cf wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:57 amI interpret the "Trebek" exclusion as just a simple way of saying you aren't eligible for regular J! if you have been on Teen Tournament, College Tournament, Teachers Tournament, etc.... just as a way of making it clear.
Perhaps. But they could just say "on any version of Jeopardy!," which they don't. They may allow for returns, obviously not from the immediate past, but say, after some amount of time has gone by, like ten or twenty years.
<--- Counting on fingers ... let's see ... 13. Hmmm.
A-ha! You're one of Hemingway's cats!
Polly want a dactyl?
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
Sherm

Post by Sherm »

Go back and look at what Alex Jacob did in his ToC and then look at what he did head to head against Rutter in the all star games and then explain to me how any of these guys can actually say they have separated themselves from him. Jacob manhandled Rutter on those two boards.

I'll add in. James did not have Emma beat outright in his ToC. Alex Jacob did it to Matt Jackson while not betting on final jeopardy either day. Who do you think is a stronger player? Matt Jackson or Emma Boettcher.

They don't need to go to 15, but I'd much rather see the group below in a one week tourney than James v Ken v Brad for a week, but thats me. Outside of Roger Craig, Jenning and Rutter haven't beaten anyone else in this group head to head. Thats why I'd like to see it, because I do think they are the top players of the last 10 years.

James Holzhauer v Alex Jacob v Joon Pahk
Ken Jennings v Larrisa Kelly v Roger Craig
Brad Rutter v Arthur Chu v Matt Jackson

I also understand that the typical non-jeopardy fan knows the first three, but not the other 6. I really doubt there is that big of a gap between them. Roger Craig likely wins the battle of the decades over Ken and Brad, if it wasn't for the All in wagers. If the boards are hard, Holzhauers strategy may hurt him.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Sherm wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:22 pm

I also understand that the typical non-jeopardy fan knows the first three, but not the other 6. I really doubt there is that big of a gap between them. Roger Craig likely wins the battle of the decades over Ken and Brad, if it wasn't for the All in wagers. If the boards are hard, Holzhauers strategy may hurt him.
If Harvey & Charles on TMZ Live are any kind of indication then not even Brad Rutter (even after all of his appearances and success) is nearly as well known as Ken & James. Today they were not sure whether to say "Rutter" or "Rooter" for the last name. Austin talks about the GOAT here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7e7RWG3Axc

With or without Alex Trebek there will be opportunities to gather a larger field for other big events. This upcoming one for prime time makes sense to limit it to the big 3.

There were some hits to skill reputations in the All-Stars and I expect one of the guys to get taken down a notch with GOAT. Things are done on the level (the McMahons don't run J!) making me think a 2-2-2 for a 7th and deciding match will not happen. I hope to be wrong.
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

I don't understand the calls for a 15-player tournament. We just had one in the spring and it would essentially end up being the same thing except replacing someone with James.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Count me as one who is tournamented out. Ordinarily I wouldn't want even this Brad/Ken/James thing for another year at least. Let me just enjoy regular play for a good while. But that conflicts with my stronger feeling that Alex should be the one to host the Brad/Ken/James slugfest. So let's get this done! But I agree there's definitely no urgent need for another big 15-person or more uber-tournament-of-uber-champions which might not even end with the desired Brad/Ken/James matchup. That can wait a good while. When it does happen, I'll be interested to see if all three make it to the final and, if not, who gets knocked out and by whom.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Sherm wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:22 pm
Go back and look at what Alex Jacob did in his ToC and then look at what he did head to head against Rutter in the all star games and then explain to me how any of these guys can actually say they have separated themselves from him. Jacob manhandled Rutter on those two boards.

I'll add in. James did not have Emma beat outright in his ToC. Alex Jacob did it to Matt Jackson while not betting on final jeopardy either day. Who do you think is a stronger player? Matt Jackson or Emma Boettcher.

They don't need to go to 15, but I'd much rather see the group below in a one week tourney than James v Ken v Brad for a week, but thats me. Outside of Roger Craig, Jenning and Rutter haven't beaten anyone else in this group head to head. Thats why I'd like to see it, because I do think they are the top players of the last 10 years.

James Holzhauer v Alex Jacob v Joon Pahk
Ken Jennings v Larrisa Kelly v Roger Craig
Brad Rutter v Arthur Chu v Matt Jackson

As I've said elsewhere, I agree that Alex and Matt deserve consideration for GOAT status. Based on her performance in the All-Star game, Larissa should also merit some consideration. None of this translates to TV ratings, which I'm sure is what ABC is considering.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Harvey & Charles talked to Brad on today's TMZ show: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TVde5CdY18

The show had a longer segment but that was all I could find on YT.

Harvey did call Brad, Ken, one time. :lol:

Harvey tried to stump Brad with the name of Nixon's secretary and Brad got it with:
Spoiler
Rose Mary Woods knowing it was not Rosemary Woods

The follow-up was even easier in wanting Tang for what Mercury astronauts drank.
jeopardyfan939

Post by jeopardyfan939 »

The GOAT tournament began taping yesterday, and all I know is that the set was slightly modified for the event, now consisting of darker colors for the backdrop (the starry background I think is the same one used on Wheel of Fortune).