Tuesday, November 19, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Re: Tuesday, November 19, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Woof »

Wasn't that FJ a LL question in the not-too-distant past? Or maybe it was a pub trivia question that I encountered. Whichever, it was an instaget for me last night. The new champ had better learn not to guess quite as much if he wants to be a repeat winner.
Bigdogstalfos
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Bigdogstalfos »

Woof wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:14 pm Wasn't that FJ a LL question in the not-too-distant past? Or maybe it was a pub trivia question that I encountered. Whichever, it was an instaget for me last night. The new champ had better learn not to guess quite as much if he wants to be a repeat winner.
It was one of the LearnedLeague Live questions from this past summer that TI posted on the boards.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:11 am Was the first break a game of spot the board member?
Who was it?
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

Robert K S wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:42 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:11 am Was the first break a game of spot the board member?
Who was it?
The quick look had me pretty sure, though not certain, it is Spiny Norman who posted he was at the taping. Blue/white checked shirt far right, second row.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Bigdogstalfos wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:17 pm
Woof wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:14 pm Wasn't that FJ a LL question in the not-too-distant past? Or maybe it was a pub trivia question that I encountered. Whichever, it was an instaget for me last night. The new champ had better learn not to guess quite as much if he wants to be a repeat winner.
It was one of the LearnedLeague Live questions from this past summer that TI posted on the boards.
Ah! Thanks. I played LLL in Vegas this summer (at a table featuring Pam Mueller, Dan Melia and Joe Trela, among others), so that's where I ran across it.
True North
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by True North »

Coryat: $36,800 (44R, 2W)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: iron curtain (DD), voice vote, Caribbean, Lil Wayne

Fun set of categories for me. Swept “Vo”cabulary, Basketball, Misleading Names and Islands. Would’ve gone 5/5 on Aeneid (and had a $40K day) if not for the head-slapping answer of Poseidon instead of Neptune. :oops:
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

True North wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:06 pm Coryat: $36,800 (44R, 2W)
LT: iron curtain (DD), voice vote, Caribbean, Lil Wayne

Fun set of categories for me. Swept “Vo”cabulary, Basketball, Misleading Names and Islands. Would’ve gone 5/5 on Aeneid (and had a $40K day) if not for the head-slapping answer of Poseidon instead of Neptune. :oops:
Same here for Poseidon vs Neptune. I wish there were a J! convention where analogous Greek and Roman gods were considered synonyms - kind of like how you generally only have to give a last name. I can parse out Greek/Roman in FJ! time, but not when I’m on the buzzer.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

True North wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:06 pmWould’ve gone 5/5 on Aeneid (and had a $40K day) if not for the head-slapping answer of Poseidon instead of Neptune. :oops:
Ouch. And since they took the category in order, you'd already been reminded that The Aeneid was a Roman work, not Greek.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:11 am Barbados & Bonaiare: This big "C"

Shannon: What is Curaçao?
Sathvik: What is Grand Cayman?
And nothing from Kevin. This despite the fact that Shannon said, none too softly, "Oh, Caribbean" after her neg.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Went with Toys R Us for FJ, even though I was pretty sure they were from back east somewhere. I knew Bend, OR was important, but I didn't know which company to associate with that location. Turns out I would have been better off focusing on 2004. I well remember getting DVDs from Netflix back in that time frame. And Blockbuster came along and tried to compete by offering their patented "We charge more because we have worse selection and service" approach. It didn't work. I was always surprised at how well it worked for them with the brick and mortar stores. Why rent a tape from Blockbuster for $2.99 when you can get it from the mom and pop place for $1.99? Despite that, I guess they did have one advantage that simply didn't transfer to the by-mail and then streaming model: location, location, location.
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

A very annoying FJ for me. I'm a fan of a YouTube channel that tells the stories of well-known failed businesses - how they grew and what lead to their demise. I'm sure Blockbuster has been covered. And the date clues are there. But Radio Shack was the first thing that came to mind and I couldn't shake it long enough to come up with other possibilities.
--Peter
nserven
At the Clam Shack

Post by nserven »

I love the Last Blockbuster Twitter parody account:

https://twitter.com/loneblockbuster
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: 41,200
50 R/2 W
LT: shabu-shabu, Zanzibar, iron curtain (DD), voice vote, Caribbean Sea, greasepaint

I have never been to the Blockbuster in Bend, but I did get to see the Anchorage store when my wife and I crossed off Alaska as our 50th state together back in 2017.

So much lack of situational awareness toward the end of DJ!. Sathvik takes the lead and then immediately hits DD2 on clue 23. It's particularly promising since the correct response has to be an 11-letter word, and yet he thoughtlessly spits out a $2000 wager. Then, after dispatching with that DD, he is faced with a choice of another clue in the same category, a top-row clue in another category, or picking a box in the Aeneid category where DD3 was guaranteed to be hiding. He picks the top-row clue. Shannon solves that one, giving her control and the chance to find the last remaining DD. Of course, she goes back to 11-Letter Words instead. Yikes.

Speaking of the Aeneid, I'm kinda wishing I had seen that category before playing the most recent LL match day.

New Leitner box material: Abelard and Heloise. I've heard the pair come up on J! before, but I couldn't pull the info from the back of my braincage.
Sprinkles are for winners.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

A video showing the location of each Blockbuster store from 1986 to 2019.

opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

alietr wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:07 am A video showing the location of each Blockbuster store from 1986 to 2019.

https://youtu.be/vgzqDCt4D1w
Sad and a little scary. I never understood the popularity of Blockbuster. They charged $2.99 to rent a tape I could get elsewhere for $1.99. They didn't have a better selection. They refused to carry letterboxed videos as late as 2003 because they were afraid their customers would get confused. This was already three years after they'd been offered Netflix for $50 million and declined. They then tried to start their own DVD-by-mail service using their trademarked model of charging more for identical or inferior service. If you'll pay $7.99 per month for Netflix, of course you'll pay $8.99 for the same service if it has the Blockbuster logo on it. Clueless. They had every opportunity to break into the business by undercutting the competition on price and leveraging their nationwide chain of brick and mortar stores to give customers options on returning the video in person and picking up the next one immediately, etc. They deserved to go under and it's in some ways surprising that they took as long as they did to do so. Ideally, top management are now living out their lives in dumpsters behind the Kroger. But I assume they're all sitting pretty and it's the thousands of franchisees that lost their life savings and defaulted on their small business loans and declared chapter 11 and moved back in with their parents.