Thursday, November 21, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Lefty
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Thursday, November 21, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Lefty »

CasketRomance wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:49 pm never knew that sherman dude made it out of the civil war alive...thought he died when he went to the sea
He stopped when he got to the water.
I'm smart and I want respect.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

I will agree that the math question for $1000 was tough - but obtuse isn't going to cut it, either. Alex is going to "Oh, sorry" you.

Scalene triangle: Three acute angles.
Right triangle: One right angle.
Obtuse triangle: One obtuse angle.
Oblique triangle: NOT a right triangle. That is to say, EITHER scalene OR obtuse.

I was part of my state's math team in high school that traveled to compete in a national competition. I was a chem major in college, and as such had already taken a full year of calc in high school, and took a full year of multivariable calc/linear algebra afterwards, plus a full year of logic. In short, I'm a math nerd.

I have -never- heard of an oblique triangle until tonight. Honestly, it seems like a silly term to me. There are reasons you may need to specify acute/right/obtuse - for example, "solving" an acute triangle with trig always gives you exactly one answer, while sometimes solving an obtuse triangle can give you two different answers. But I can't think of a reason you'd never need to specify "non-right triangle", or "oblique triangle". I mean, maybe when introducing the Law of Cosines, saying, "This is like the Pythagorean Theorem, but for oblique triangles".

Plus, "oblique" fits better with "indirect reference" than "obtuse"...

Enough math. They snuck in two basic "what is the capital of..." geography questions in LONG clues. Honestly, I knew Harrisburg, but I was too tired after slogging through that clue.

Put me down for knowing Lot, knowing that Lot had a wife who looked back on Sodom and Gomorrah and turned into a pillar of salt...but blanking because I thought she had some kind of name.

I said "military" instead of "soliders" for the thrid amendment - close enough? Is there a nuance that I'm missing?

Complete blank on FJ! despite having lived in Atlanta for 6 years during high school. My excuse? All the history books were burned down.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Anyone else think Elise looks a little like a young Susan Sarandon?
silverpie
Contributor

Post by silverpie »

No, the term for three acute angles is an acute triangle. Scalene means that the three sides (therefore also the three angles) are all different. The two trios are acute/right/obtuse and scalene/isosceles/equilateral. Scalene and isosceles triangles can be acute, right, or obtuse (equilateral has to be acute).
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

Vowela wrote: For the one clue, I spent so long trying to remember Lot's wife's name that I didn't remember her name wasn't known :oops:.
talkingaway wrote: Put me down for knowing Lot, knowing that Lot had a wife who looked back on Sodom and Gomorrah and turned into a pillar of salt...but blanking because I thought she had some kind of name.
Same thing happened to me.
Maybe this should be a poll question?
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

silverpie wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:05 am No, the term for three acute angles is an acute triangle. Scalene means that the three sides (therefore also the three angles) are all different. The two trios are acute/right/obtuse and scalene/isosceles/equilateral. Scalene and isosceles triangles can be acute, right, or obtuse (equilateral has to be acute).
Oops my bad. Mental blow up there - I knew scalene referred to sides, and acute to 3 acute angles. You’re totally right.

One other triangle term that’s not used often, but I actually have heard: equiangular. Equilateral literally means “equal length”, so by definition it means all three sides are equal. Equiangular means all three angles are equal. In a triangle, the two are equivalent - if you’re a equilateral triangle, you’re also equiangular, and vice versa.

Not true for more than three sides - an equiangular 4-sided figure (quadrilateral) is a rectangle. An equilateral one is a rhombus. You can have one without the other - and the intersection is a “regular” quadrilateral...or, a square.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

55 R (Klaus Kinski was my only miss today though the name does sound familiar.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Oblique, (Lot's Wife), Michael Collins, Pompey
Douglas Squasoni
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

Lefty wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:12 pm
CasketRomance wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:49 pm never knew that sherman dude made it out of the civil war alive...thought he died when he went to the sea
He stopped when he got to the water.
pretty smart of him
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

talkingaway wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:49 pm
I said "military" instead of "soliders" for the thrid amendment - close enough? Is there a nuance that I'm missing?
I think they'd have to give it to you.

Today was the second day in a row that there was a question about
Spoiler
Sherman Brothers.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

Category 13 wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:18 am
Vowela wrote: For the one clue, I spent so long trying to remember Lot's wife's name that I didn't remember her name wasn't known :oops:.
talkingaway wrote: Put me down for knowing Lot, knowing that Lot had a wife who looked back on Sodom and Gomorrah and turned into a pillar of salt...but blanking because I thought she had some kind of name.
Same thing happened to me.
Maybe this should be a poll question?
I, for one, have never turned into a pillar of salt.
Foretopman

Post by Foretopman »

talkingaway wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:53 am Equilateral literally means “equal length”
Sometimes I can't help being pedantic. I think the literal meaning of equilateral is "equal sides". You probably know that, and simply mis-spoke (mis-typed?)
Sherm

Post by Sherm »

I got FJ right, but I just like the name.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:04 am Anyone else think Elise looks a little like a young Susan Sarandon?
i see a female buzzy cohen when i look at her
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:43 pm Grilled cheese gets paired with tomato soup, huh? I'm not a fan of either food, so this was utterly unfamiliar to me. Odd when $200 is my only miss in a category.

They're real and they're spectacular.

The grassy knoll clue was a day early...(well, not for -me- but everyone else...)

Opus! You never told us about your adventure with the Welsh!
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:43 pm Grilled cheese gets paired with tomato soup, huh? I'm not a fan of either food, so this was utterly unfamiliar to me. Odd when $200 is my only miss in a category.

All but "cupholder" in "Hold" it.

FINALLY remembered Montgomery for bus boycott.

No guess on FJ!

Lach Trash: oblique triangle. Also got the "Lot's Wife" DD.
are you kidding me? did you not go to public school in usa and buy lunch? i am pretty sure it would have been impossible for you to have never encountered that combo at a us public school cafeteria
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Volante wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:37 pm

Those Lay's chips are always so bland and never taste remotely like what they claim to. They just taste like potato to me. They need to up the seasoning game by like six fold.

Still doesn't matter since I will never eat grilled cheese unless you make it with some real cheddar or go esoteric with something like, I dunno, smoked gouda. Because I prefer my cheese not to taste or feel like an entire box of melted Crayolas.
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

Sherman.jpg
Sherman.jpg (57.48 KiB) Viewed 4765 times
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:06 pm

Those Lay's chips are always so bland and never taste remotely like what they claim to. They just taste like potato to me. They need to up the seasoning game by like six fold.

Still doesn't matter since I will never eat grilled cheese unless you make it with some real cheddar or go esoteric with something like, I dunno, smoked gouda. Because I prefer my cheese not to taste or feel like an entire box of melted Crayolas.
bacon lays are the best lays chips produced, but for some reason they refuse to sell them in usa...i basically lived on them when i lived in russia...best chip ever
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:06 pm
Just collapsing the image

Somehow the Lay's flavor that you didn't even know was a thing is too bland and doesn't taste remotely like what it claims to...

Kaaaaaaaay.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Volante wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:20 pm Somehow the Lay's flavor that you didn't even know was a thing is too bland and doesn't taste remotely like what it claims to...

Kaaaaaaaay.
Obviously I didn't mean this flavor per se. I clearly said "Those Lay's chips", as in all of the 847 varieties they have that are supposed to taste like something, anything. Cheesy garlic bread? Ketchup? Pizza? Stroopwafel? Pad Thai? Human blood? Literally every single Lay's "flavored" chip I've ever had in my life has tasted like potato that was once in the same area code as a single grain of seasoning.