Thursday, November 28, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

talkingaway
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Thursday, November 28, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by talkingaway »

A true case of "just write something down and hopes it sticks" in FJ! for me. Avatar....seems sanskritish to me. I always thought of avatars as -A-scending to a higher plane, not -DE-scending, but that just may be from playing Ultima games on my old PC in the 90s. (Truth, love, and courage, anyone?) I wrote it and spent 25 seconds second-guessing myself for no good reason. Even the "major movie" didn't make me fist-pump, since I wasn't confident in my answer at all.

Of note: Alex give an incorrect answer for 12-letter clues. He said "a hippo". That's five letters. Hippopotamus would be required to fit the category.

Pre-called Lin-Manuel and Lambert in the "Miranda" category, but did NOT expect a Moana clue.

I'm so old that I got Colt 45...but not from Snoop Dogg, but from the old Billy Dee Williams commercials.

My sixth grade history teacher had this thing about calling us "budding cartographers" when we were working with maps. She was weird.

Knew 4 out of 5 of the movies in the "adaptations" category fairly well, but 0 of 5 of the authors/screenwriters.

mungar wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:40 am
CasketRomance wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 3:30 am
floridagator wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 3:14 am I suspect that contestant Alex is a ham radio operator, because her unusual bet of 1312, which host Alex even called unusual, left her with $88 after missing the extremely easy answer of Buenos Aires. 8 8 is the ham radio code for love and kisses, and especially affectionate way of signing off.

Error in clue: American Pharoah [sic] winning the Triple Crown in 2015 ended a 36 year drought, not a 37-year one. The drought did not begin in 1978 when Affirmed won the Triple Crown. It began the next year when the horse didn't.
so you are going on the assumption that she chose that number of 1312 in the event she gets it wrong so she could have 88? seems like she would have to be thinking negatively...why not think 2712 had some meaning for her? and why ham radio if she did intend for 88 to be significant? maybe she is a mario lemieux fan or dale earnhardt jr fan
Lemieux was 66. Maybe she was an Eric Lindros fan though :lol:
Ellen from Stoneham, Mass was probably happy with the 88 - go Pasta, 25 goals in 27 games! (Sorry about last night, Ontario...)
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

talkingaway wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:05 pm I'm so old that I got Colt 45...but not from Snoop Dogg, but from the old Billy Dee Williams commercials.
I negged with Rocket Fuel.

https://youtu.be/3JpwjnMFlJI
Peter the accountant
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Peter the accountant »

A rather ugly FJ for me. Came up with several wrong answers. Incarnation? No - Christian undertones, plus the carne in the middle is latin. Corporeal? More latin in corpus. Condescend? Probably not - too similar to descend in the clue. Never thought about the word avatar having a meaning other than those pictures next to your name on web sites. Ended up going with corporeal just to have something.

I'm also really slow catching up. KABC broadcast all of the week's episodes a day late - not that it matters much to me since I record them. But they also skipped a day in the week prior, so I put off some watching hoping it would be shown on a Saturday, where they usually air an older episode. Perhaps they did and my recording just missed it.
--Peter
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

20191203_214330.jpg
20191203_214330.jpg (393.85 KiB) Viewed 1962 times
(Taken at a local gas station last night)
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

Peter the accountant wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:56 am I'm also really slow catching up. KABC broadcast all of the week's episodes a day late - not that it matters much to me since I record them. But they also skipped a day in the week prior, so I put off some watching hoping it would be shown on a Saturday, where they usually air an older episode. Perhaps they did and my recording just missed it.
KABC did air a new episode on Saturday the 23rd, but due to a college football game running long, it was "joined in progress" at about the beginning of DJ!.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

I would have sailed to victory in this game! I can only imagine what hell-boards await when I get The Call

Whenever there’s a X-letter words category, Alex is careful to reassure us that “it sounds tougher than it is.” On the MI clue, I had self-destruct immediately but calculated that the sum of letters fell far short of 12 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ (still baffled by this!)

And I ran, I ran Oscar Winning Adapted Screenplays!

+1 Avatar

IMO, the prohibition on controversial wager numbers must be rescinded!
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

mjhunt wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:38 pm It is very unfortunate that anyone expected Alex to apologize for having ended up with $88. She should have felt no need to do so. Just because some racists might have co-opted that number does not mean Jeopardy should ban it or any number that leads to it. And, it is unfortunate that Andy Saunders chooses to advise against odd wagers based on that. It is very important to remember that with co-champions disallowed, odd wagers have a special value.

We all deal with that number in some form quite often. Should I get upset anytime I see that number on my pay stub, grocery bill, etc?
And that number or any other can obviously have special value of endless reasons.

Really, it is letting the racists win if we let them co-opt symbols we all use for benign reasons.
I give you the OK sign in agreement.
mjhunt
Valued Contributor

Post by mjhunt »

Bamaman wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:42 pm
mjhunt wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:38 pm It is very unfortunate that anyone expected Alex to apologize for having ended up with $88. She should have felt no need to do so. Just because some racists might have co-opted that number does not mean Jeopardy should ban it or any number that leads to it. And, it is unfortunate that Andy Saunders chooses to advise against odd wagers based on that. It is very important to remember that with co-champions disallowed, odd wagers have a special value.

We all deal with that number in some form quite often. Should I get upset anytime I see that number on my pay stub, grocery bill, etc?
And that number or any other can obviously have special value of endless reasons.

Really, it is letting the racists win if we let them co-opt symbols we all use for benign reasons.
I give you the OK sign in agreement.

:lol: