Friday, November 29, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Hugo Z
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: Friday, November 29, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Hugo Z »

I was surprised (and horrified) to realize I remembered "Alexis" from Dynasty but was struggling with the last name, and could only come up with "Colby"...which technically, was correct too.
davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey »

Hugo Z wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:37 am I was surprised (and horrified) to realize I remembered "Alexis" from Dynasty but was struggling with the last name, and could only come up with "Colby"...which technically, was correct too.
I presume that a first name is always sufficient for a fictional character. If they've made exceptions to this I don't remember them.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

davey wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:45 am
Hugo Z wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:37 am I was surprised (and horrified) to realize I remembered "Alexis" from Dynasty but was struggling with the last name, and could only come up with "Colby"...which technically, was correct too.
I presume that a first name is always sufficient for a fictional character. If they've made exceptions to this I don't remember them.
'Luke & Laura' has been accepted before, so I'd accept just 'Alexis'
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

I said "Napoli" for "Naples" - judges? I'm about 90% sure I would have BMSed to Naples if given the time. It's the Italian name for the city, and it seems to me they'd probably accept "Italia" for "Italy" or the pronunciation "Paree" for "Paris". But TBH, I probably said "Napoli" because of Mike Napoli, former Red Sox pitcher. It just came off my tongue that way.

Degauss had me remembering the old PCs where you could occasionally degauss the monitors and they'd make a cool "snapping" noise.

"Lion of the Senate" isn't an instaget for Ted Kennedy? I guess we lost our Boston-area contestant yesterday, but still, I thought that was always a very well-known thing. I guess that's the thing about trivia - it's easy if you know it.

Put me down for Oliver Twist on FJ!. I knew it didn't quite fit - I had the vague notion that "battlement" meant "part of a castle", but didn't know what part. Also, I don't know - maybe Oliver was adopted by some rich guy who lived in a castle? I consider myself confused by the "Dracula" response, since I didn't even know it was originally written in English, but now that I think of the name "Bram Stoker", yeah, that makes sense - not Slavic. Please, sir, I could have used some more clues on that FJ!.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

talkingaway wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:12 pm "Lion of the Senate" isn't an instaget for Ted Kennedy? I guess we lost our Boston-area contestant yesterday, but still, I thought that was always a very well-known thing. I guess that's the thing about trivia - it's easy if you know it.
I for one was thrown by the wording: "His dad was the 'Lion of the Senate' & this man Jr. served in the Connecticut State Senate from 2015 to 2019" I wasn't totally sure whether "this man Jr." was the postcedent of "his" at the beginning. I thought of Ted Kennedy but clammed.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Napoli gets a thumb's up.
A Wray
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by A Wray »

davey wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:45 am I presume that a first name is always sufficient for a fictional character. If they've made exceptions to this I don't remember them.
"Alex from Family Ties" was ruled incorrect on an FJ:

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=3959
talkingaway wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:12 pm But TBH, I probably said "Napoli" because of Mike Napoli, former Red Sox pitcher.
First baseman.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

A Wray wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:05 pm
talkingaway wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:12 pm But TBH, I probably said "Napoli" because of Mike Napoli, former Red Sox pitcher.
First baseman.
Who?
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:48 pm
First baseman.
Who?
That's what I wanna know!
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

davey wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:45 am I presume that a first name is always sufficient for a fictional character. If they've made exceptions to this I don't remember them.

First baseman.
I'd think first names go by the "Cher/Madonna" rule, whether it's a real person or a fictional character. If they're asking for Nabokov's character seduced by Humbert Humbert, Lolita is fine, and Dolores Haze or "Haze" is fine but unnecessary. I'm not sure where "Alexis" ranks there. I stalled on the question in real time, but I'm pretty sure if someone asked me "Who played Alexis on TV?", I'd know they were referring to one of those 80s primetime soap operas - Dallas, Falcon Crest, or Dynasty - and they were referring to the character that either Joan Collins or Elisabeth Taylor played. There wouldd be no ambiguity as to which Alexis they were referring to, however...at least in my mind. It's a bit of an edge case, like "Whitney" or "Celine" - in context, you know who they're referring to, but their last name hasn't been virtually erased.

And dangit, I knew Nap was first baseman. That's what I get for burning out my brain watching 3.1 episodes of J! today.
davey

Post by davey »

Thanks. That ruling seems harsh. We're sure it's not cause she left out the word "is"?
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

Robert K S wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:09 am
harrumph wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:34 pm For FJ I went with Frankenstein.
Did anybody else go with this?

I think it's not a bad guess, particularly if you thought of Young Frankenstein or Bride of Frankenstein, but I think those for whom the Hammer versions are the definitive Frankenstein adaptations would have remembered Castle Frankenstein as being in very good repair, the opulent home of a wealthy nobleman.
I haven't read the book in a while, but in the 1931 movie a mob set the windmill that the monster was in on fire.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

First baseman.
I was going to say catcher, but it looks like he only played that position for the Angels and Rangers. I guess the Boston brass didn't want to abuse the body of a 31-year-old power hitter in whom they were making an eight-figure investment.
Sprinkles are for winners.
nserven
At the Clam Shack

Post by nserven »

talkingaway wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:47 pm

First baseman.
I'd think first names go by the "Cher/Madonna" rule, whether it's a real person or a fictional character. If they're asking for Nabokov's character seduced by Humbert Humbert, Lolita is fine, and Dolores Haze or "Haze" is fine but unnecessary. I'm not sure where "Alexis" ranks there. I stalled on the question in real time, but I'm pretty sure if someone asked me "Who played Alexis on TV?", I'd know they were referring to one of those 80s primetime soap operas - Dallas, Falcon Crest, or Dynasty - and they were referring to the character that either Joan Collins or Elisabeth Taylor played. There wouldd be no ambiguity as to which Alexis they were referring to, however...at least in my mind. It's a bit of an edge case, like "Whitney" or "Celine" - in context, you know who they're referring to, but their last name hasn't been virtually erased.
I think the difference might be that the Alexis clue already mentioned Dynasty, which limits the set of conceivable responses to characters from that show, all of whom could presumably be distinguished by first name alone, while the Alex P. Keaton clue required a response from among the universe of all TV characters—i.e., you needed to get to the right show first.

I think I might have argued that “Alex from Family Ties” should have been accepted for that reason—it pins to a particular character and eliminates all other TV Alexes out there—but in that case, I suppose, knowledge of the character’s name was what they were asking with the clue. For what it’s worth, I knew Alex’s last name, but not Alexis’s.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

nserven wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:36 am I think the difference might be that the Alexis clue already mentioned Dynasty, which limits the set of conceivable responses to characters from that show, all of whom could presumably be distinguished by first name alone, while the Alex P. Keaton clue required a response from among the universe of all TV characters—i.e., you needed to get to the right show first.
Oh, come on. Name me even one other TV show that has an Alex.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:19 pm
Alex Blake - Criminal Minds
Alex Russo - The Wizards of Waverly Place
Alex Trebek - The Wizard of Odds, Classic Concentration, High Rollers, and others
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

floridagator wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:53 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:19 pm
Alex Blake - Criminal Minds
Alex Russo - The Wizards of Waverly Place
Alex Trebek - The Wizard of Odds, Classic Concentration, High Rollers, and others
Malcolm. Can’t forget Malcolm!!
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:10 pm Any reason I should know that German salad is made from potatoes?
It's not German salad, it's German this salad, or German ___________ salad. The foodie route to the answer is to know what German _____ salad distinctively uses vinegar.

It didn't hurt my chances on this clue that I don't like vinegar, so I studiously avoid German potato salad. (And likewise, don't put malt vinegar on my fish and chips.) But I like mayonnaise based potato salads very much. A couple years of German in high school didn't hurt, either. ;)
--Peter
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Peter the accountant wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:49 am
TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:10 pm Any reason I should know that German salad is made from potatoes?
It's not German salad, it's German this salad, or German ___________ salad. The foodie route to the answer is to know what German _____ salad distinctively uses vinegar.
Which doesn't help since I have literally never heard of German potato salad before. I haven't even seen regular potato salad offered ANYwhere, so I didn't know there were variants.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:33 pm
Peter the accountant wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:49 am
Which doesn't help since I have literally never heard of German potato salad before. I haven't even seen regular potato salad offered ANYwhere, so I didn't know there were variants.
So you don't know anything about potato salad, therefore you weren't ever going to get any clue about potato salad, top row or not, German or not. So why are we still talking about this 5 days later?