Wednesday, December 4, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Wednesday, December 4, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by twelvefootboy »

Late posting, but another Don Juan here. From what I see here, it is a Emanciptation Proclamation ruling.

Wow, Jennifer. This was a quiet beatdown. I liked the solid DD wagers - not quite up to Gnash's $5K/$5 rule of thumb, but sturdy bets with a hedge on the downside. But I was mostly shocked that she went ahead and put $10K out there for a category that Alex said was a tough one. That is James Holzhaueresque (except he would have bet $9812). It would be so easy to think - hmm, I made $35K with 30 minutes of work, do I really want to risk $10K on a blind clue?
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
floridagator
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by floridagator »

Ross Perot used tiger rag as a campaign song the first time he ran for president in 1992
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

Category 13 wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:12 am
TPH wrote:The Amtrak conductors have always said Dowagiac as "duh-WAH-jack". Johnny had "DOW-a-jack".
I grew up 30 miles from there and yes, it's 'Duh-WAH-giac'. Johnny butchered it so bad, I thought it was just some town I never heard of.
We'll see if he gets it right tomorrow and I hope Jennifer doesn't get jynxed for correcting him.
Pretty sure Johnny got it right on Friday.
In and out of the pool four times
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: 35,000
46 R/0 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: "I'd Do Anything For Love"

Jennifer's knowledge and buzzer mojo were both impressive. It will be interesting to see whether she can keep it up for several games.

I had the good luck to run into something about Don Giovanni in the last week or two, so this FJ! was a slam dunk. Otherwise, I wouldn't have stood a chance.

I really appreciated the anti-negbait on the Meat Loaf song title. Letting us know that the title started with a contraction made what could have been a very nasty clue into a good one.
TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:52 pm How did Bangladesh "make sense" in Bengal for $200? I bombed that category.
They're forms of the same word. Bangladesh literally means "the country of Bengal."
talkingaway wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:01 am Judges - safeTY deposit box? I feel safe with that one.
Sure. "Safe" and "safety" are both commonplace.
Sprinkles are for winners.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:41 am
TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:52 pm How did Bangladesh "make sense" in Bengal for $200? I bombed that category.
They're forms of the same word. Bangladesh literally means "the country of Bengal."
I somehow never made that connection. As usual. They just seemed like utterly different words.