Wednesday, December 4, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

User avatar
LucarioSnooperVixey
Darling Sillyclaws
Posts: 1354
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:41 pm
Location: New Jersey

Re: Wednesday, December 4, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey » Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:02 am

59 R (The Clemson fight song was my only miss today.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Rabindranath Tagore, I'd Do Anything For Love, One Less Day, Wolf, Swim Bladder
Douglas Squasoni
QuizUp: 131.6k games
Alpaca Farm: 1446 quizzes

jev15
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 215
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:20 pm

Re: Wednesday, December 4, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by jev15 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:04 am

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:52 pm
The Amtrak conductors have always said Dowagiac as "duh-WAH-jack". Johnny had "DOW-a-jack".

How did Bangladesh "make sense" in Bengal for $200? I bombed that category.

I thought "hold that tiger" was out of line in the Tiger category. Felt like something specialized that way too few people would know.

Ran the Toy category. Bottom box cost me the run in Trios, Parenthetical, and Vowels, and $1,200 cost me in Science.

What was the TOM for "wall" in Modern Activism for $400? I said "ladder" which IMO makes more sense.

Opera Title Names? Yep, no hope for me whatsoever. Correct response is not ringing any bells.

Lach trash: "I'd Do Anything for Love", swim bladder
Three of the first four letters in Bangladesh and Bengal are the same.

The Clemson clue was tough. I'm a huge college football fan and that didn't ring a bell for me at all.

User avatar
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool
Posts: 4168
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:53 pm

Re: Wednesday, December 4, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Woof » Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:07 am

oduguy22 wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:21 pm
Yes, Jennifer played really well, and I got to talk with her during lunch and she is really sweet person and extremely well versed in the arts, and she had a brother that's a big opera fan, so it was a tailor made final for her. Just wanted to put out there my game is on Friday so if you guys do have a chance definitely check out!
Retroactive good luck! Jennifer looks like a tough competitor. In this current movie period, we could call it Ferrari vs. Subarus (thanks, AP). No problem with FJ. I wonder if any non-opera buffs were helped by Shaw’s Don Juan in Hell.

User avatar
Category 13
Wagering Viking
Posts: 1631
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:43 pm
Location: This side of paradise

Re: Wednesday, December 4, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Category 13 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:12 am

TPH wrote:The Amtrak conductors have always said Dowagiac as "duh-WAH-jack". Johnny had "DOW-a-jack".
I grew up 30 miles from there and yes, it's 'Duh-WAH-giac'. Johnny butchered it so bad, I thought it was just some town I never heard of.
We'll see if he gets it right tomorrow and I hope Jennifer doesn't get jynxed for correcting him.
OntarioQuizzer wrote:Jennifer was 17R 3W in the bottom two rows; bottom-row knowledge tends to hold up better than buzzer skills or Daily Doubles.
I'm rooting heavily for Jennifer but the guessing on bottom row clues was the one thing I found fault with about her play. I fear it could get her into trouble against a strong challenger. If that ends up being her achilles heal, I hope it doesn't de-throne her until she has five wins in the bag.

harrumph
Voyeur
Posts: 1701
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:00 pm
Location: Princeton, NJ

Re: Wednesday, December 4, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by harrumph » Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:31 am

Another Don Juan here.

User avatar
econgator
Let's Go Mets!
Posts: 8506
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:32 am

Re: Wednesday, December 4, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by econgator » Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:31 am

MarkBarrett wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:04 am
When Alex mentioned the correct composer I knew two things
That's one more thing than I knew. I knew I was wrong, as I had no response, but still had no clue who it was. Still 0-for the week.

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns
Posts: 6642
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:31 am

Re: Wednesday, December 4, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by seaborgium » Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:38 am

I read "contraction" as "conjunction" in the Meat Loaf clue and called it "And I Would Do Anything for Love." Whoops.
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:52 pm
What was the TOM for "wall" in Modern Activism for $400? I said "ladder" which IMO makes more sense.
"Amnesty International wants more communities to accept refugees, asking for a longer table, not a taller this structure"

"Ladder" doesn't make sense. A longer table is a metaphor for accepting refugees: making space for more people. So they want that instead of the opposite: building a higher wall to keep people out. (Plus, no one calls a ladder a "structure.")

mas3cf
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 510
Joined: Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:15 am

Re: Wednesday, December 4, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by mas3cf » Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:51 am

Poll request on the Clemson fight song. I went to an ACC school and have been following ACC sports for 20 years, and the only part of that song I know is "C, L, E, M, S, O........... N!" What's the cultural relevance to anyone who didn't go to Clemson?

And LSV didn't know it either, which says a lot. :D

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns
Posts: 6642
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:31 am

Re: Wednesday, December 4, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by seaborgium » Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:18 am

mas3cf wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:51 am
Poll request on the Clemson fight song. I went to an ACC school and have been following ACC sports for 20 years, and the only part of that song I know is "C, L, E, M, S, O........... N!" What's the cultural relevance to anyone who didn't go to Clemson?

And LSV didn't know it either, which says a lot. :D
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiger_Rag
I clammed on "hold that tiger" because I didn't think a jazz song would be a college fight song, plus they'd already given a lyric that was "____ that tiger" in the clue, and they say "hold that tiger" so many times in the song that I didn't know there were other lyrics.

The song has a repeated bit where a horn player does a little "roar" with their instrument, but the Mills Brothers did it vocally.

User avatar
CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 2559
Joined: Fri May 22, 2015 2:40 pm

Re: Wednesday, December 4, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by CasketRomance » Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:05 am

jev15 wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:04 am
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:52 pm
The Amtrak conductors have always said Dowagiac as "duh-WAH-jack". Johnny had "DOW-a-jack".

How did Bangladesh "make sense" in Bengal for $200? I bombed that category.

I thought "hold that tiger" was out of line in the Tiger category. Felt like something specialized that way too few people would know.

Ran the Toy category. Bottom box cost me the run in Trios, Parenthetical, and Vowels, and $1,200 cost me in Science.

What was the TOM for "wall" in Modern Activism for $400? I said "ladder" which IMO makes more sense.

Opera Title Names? Yep, no hope for me whatsoever. Correct response is not ringing any bells.

Lach trash: "I'd Do Anything for Love", swim bladder
Three of the first four letters in Bangladesh and Bengal are the same.

The Clemson clue was tough. I'm a huge college football fan and that didn't ring a bell for me at all.

totally agree...i don't get how that is 2nd box material...should have been bottom box

Foretopman
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 328
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:22 pm
Location: Chicago area

Re: Wednesday, December 4, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Foretopman » Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:20 am

On "Tiger Talk" for $1000: Am I the only one who heard Jennifer say "the lady AND the tiger" instead of "the lady OR the tiger"? I was really expecting a reversal there.

talkingaway
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 439
Joined: Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:59 am

Re: Wednesday, December 4, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by talkingaway » Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:33 am

Thoughts about box level: I'm not a fan of college sports and don't know jazz in detail, so "Where's that tiger" could have easily been a top row clue that I didn't know, but I'll trust everyone here on the level. I even YouTubed the song, and it's a NHO for me.

But I also wonder if levels sometimes get messed up due to production errors - like, say, accidentally revealing the wrong clue so they have to throw out a clue. I'm sure they have replacement clue available for each topic, since that's what the whole "sixth clue" thing on the J! website is all about, but if you accidentally reveal a top row clue and have to replace it with whatever extra clue is available, it's probably going to be harder than a typical top row.

And it was very nice of them to remind the players about the contraction in the Meatloaf song. I got it, but since the lyrics only (or mostly?) contain the non-contracted "I would do", I probably would have gotten it wrong. I might have even stuck an "and" at the beginning, too.

(P.S.: He literally lists out about 4 or 5 different things he wouldn't do. So don't ask what "I won't do that" refers to!)

User avatar
TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim
Posts: 8186
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:59 pm
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: Wednesday, December 4, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by TenPoundHammer » Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:53 am

seaborgium wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:38 am
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:52 pm
What was the TOM for "wall" in Modern Activism for $400? I said "ladder" which IMO makes more sense.
"Amnesty International wants more communities to accept refugees, asking for a longer table, not a taller this structure"

"Ladder" doesn't make sense. A longer table is a metaphor for accepting refugees: making space for more people. So they want that instead of the opposite: building a higher wall to keep people out. (Plus, no one calls a ladder a "structure.")
Still, tables and walls have nothing to do with each other. Then again, neither do ladders. It just seems like an utterly contrived metaphor.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

heppm01
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 485
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:30 pm

Re: Wednesday, December 4, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by heppm01 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:54 am

Right composer, wrong opera (The Marriage of Figaro). I never made the Don Giovanni <-> Don Juan connection before but will not make this mistake again.

User avatar
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur
Posts: 6925
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:42 pm
Contact:

Re: Wednesday, December 4, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Volante » Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:12 am

Foretopman wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:20 am
On "Tiger Talk" for $1000: Am I the only one who heard Jennifer say "the lady AND the tiger" instead of "the lady OR the tiger"? I was really expecting a reversal there.
Clue didn't ask for the title, just the two components of said title, so either conjunction works:
An 1882 short story by Frank Stockton about a choice between these 2 things has come to mean an impossible decision

Foretopman
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 328
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:22 pm
Location: Chicago area

Re: Wednesday, December 4, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Foretopman » Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:19 am

Volante wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:12 am
Foretopman wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:20 am
On "Tiger Talk" for $1000: Am I the only one who heard Jennifer say "the lady AND the tiger" instead of "the lady OR the tiger"? I was really expecting a reversal there.
Clue didn't ask for the title, just the two components of said title, so either conjunction works:
An 1882 short story by Frank Stockton about a choice between these 2 things has come to mean an impossible decision
Huh, so it did. Thanks for the correction. :oops:

User avatar
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard
Posts: 7100
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:33 pm
Location: Shawnee, KS
Contact:

Re: Wednesday, December 4, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by opusthepenguin » Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:47 pm

Foretopman wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:19 am
Volante wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:12 am
Foretopman wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:20 am
On "Tiger Talk" for $1000: Am I the only one who heard Jennifer say "the lady AND the tiger" instead of "the lady OR the tiger"? I was really expecting a reversal there.
Clue didn't ask for the title, just the two components of said title, so either conjunction works:
An 1882 short story by Frank Stockton about a choice between these 2 things has come to mean an impossible decision
Huh, so it did. Thanks for the correction. :oops:
I had the same question when her response was accepted. So it was definitely a waitaminnit moment for more than just you. But when I went back to the clue, I came to the same conclusion as Volante. As grating as it might sound, she could even have gotten away with "What are the tiger and the lady?"

clprez
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 798
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:01 pm

Re: Wednesday, December 4, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by clprez » Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:50 pm

Category 13 wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:12 am
TPH wrote:The Amtrak conductors have always said Dowagiac as "duh-WAH-jack". Johnny had "DOW-a-jack".
I grew up 30 miles from there and yes, it's 'Duh-WAH-giac'. Johnny butchered it so bad, I thought it was just some town I never heard of.
We'll see if he gets it right tomorrow and I hope Jennifer doesn't get jynxed for correcting him.
I had no clue as to what Johnny said, so I went to the contestant page on the online site to see what it was. If I remember correctly, Alex said it incorrectly during the contestant interview too.

Foretopman
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 328
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:22 pm
Location: Chicago area

Re: Wednesday, December 4, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Foretopman » Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:48 pm

Category 13 wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:12 am
TPH wrote:The Amtrak conductors have always said Dowagiac as "duh-WAH-jack". Johnny had "DOW-a-jack".
I grew up 30 miles from there and yes, it's 'Duh-WAH-giac'. Johnny butchered it so bad, I thought it was just some town I never heard of.
My wife's cousin lived in or near Dowagiac for many years. When my wife heard Johnny's pronunciation she had a definite WTF? reaction.
Coincidentally, just last weekend I rewatched "North By Northwest". In the scene in the Chicago train station (LaSalle Street station?) in the background you can hear an announcement for an eastbound train that will go through Dowagiac. That announcer pronounces it the right way.

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns
Posts: 6642
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:31 am

Re: Wednesday, December 4, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by seaborgium » Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:00 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:53 am
seaborgium wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:38 am
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:52 pm
What was the TOM for "wall" in Modern Activism for $400? I said "ladder" which IMO makes more sense.
"Amnesty International wants more communities to accept refugees, asking for a longer table, not a taller this structure"

"Ladder" doesn't make sense. A longer table is a metaphor for accepting refugees: making space for more people. So they want that instead of the opposite: building a higher wall to keep people out. (Plus, no one calls a ladder a "structure.")
Still, tables and walls have nothing to do with each other. Then again, neither do ladders. It just seems like an utterly contrived metaphor.
To be fair, only the table in that saying is purely metaphorical, and they gave that in the clue.

Post Reply