Thursday, December 5, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

alietr
Site Admin

Re: Thursday, December 5, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by alietr »

Category 13 wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:28 pm
Not the least of which was Jennifer. She was suspect to taking random guesses in her first game. Today she cost herself at least a crush going into FJ. I was amazed that she managed to stay clam on that Fenway Park clue.
I suspect Chris was following Kelly's lead, thinking she was on the right track. A foolish mistake.
OMG, that Fenway clue! Fortunately my TV is too nice to throw objects at it.
SBurrus
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by SBurrus »

I was in the "Night Before Christmas" club. Grrrr...I should have known FJ.

I hate categories like the Jeff Goldblum category. He was so slow reading the clues...really slowed down the game.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

CasketRomance wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:03 amyou know we are in bizzarro world if this was an instaget for hammer as he knew of the connection between montgomery ward and rudolph and hardly anyone else on here so far did
Not quite as bizarre as the time I got the RadioShack clue that polled like 10% and had most people saying they couldn't even decipher it. Or the one about Taylor Swift having the most Top 40 hits.
alietr wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:17 amOMG, that Fenway clue! Fortunately my TV is too nice to throw objects at it.
I'm thinking that one of them misread "Red Sox" as "White Sox" which led them down the Chicago path. I was trying to pull Fenway myself, but ended up staying clam in the confusion.

Me, I've NHO that coach in the top box and don't see why anyone would know him.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:57 am
CasketRomance wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:03 amyou know we are in bizzarro world if this was an instaget for hammer as he knew of the connection between montgomery ward and rudolph and hardly anyone else on here so far did
Not quite as bizarre as the time I got the RadioShack clue that polled like 10% and had most people saying they couldn't even decipher it. Or the one about Taylor Swift having the most Top 40 hits.
alietr wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:17 amOMG, that Fenway clue! Fortunately my TV is too nice to throw objects at it.
I'm thinking that one of them misread "Red Sox" as "White Sox" which led them down the Chicago path. I was trying to pull Fenway myself, but ended up staying clam in the confusion.

you aren't familiar with hoody?
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

CasketRomance wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:02 am you aren't familiar with hoody?
Who's Hoody? Google isn't helping here.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

"High crimes and misdemeanors" - are we SURE they don't tape J! at the start of the week when they air it?

I will humbly admit that I don't really know anything about the "boxer rebellion" other than the fact that it is a thing that exists. But it was -WAY- too easy for a DD clue where they spot you the letter "B" and the word "rebellion". Even if it were a regular clue, I wouldn't clam on it - it's way more than 50% likely that I'm right.

When the category is 13 LETTER WORDS, I'm willing to forgive any clue that's a single word that's "really long" - you can't count to 13 on your fingers to make sure before you buzz in, even if you had 13 fingers. And sometimes you forget the category (especially when a fellow contestant abbreviates it.) But when the CLUE says "a five letter cheese blah blah" and you say "Edam" and "Muenster"? As Alex would say, "Oh, no!" It must be deer-in-headlight syndrome.

I too was confused by the BMS on the British flag/Union Jack. I was thinking that they were going for the name of a country, which wouldn't make sense with the question. If the BMS were phrased as "What's the name of the flag", then it's an instaget for the contestant, I'm sure.

Would "Hemsworth" be a "which one?" for "Thor/Huntsman" - like the "Kennedy rule" for US Presidents? I can never get the two straight. (Chris and Liam, not Teddy and John.)

Now for my Boston cred. I knew "jimmies" were EITHER the rainbow OR the chocolate sprinkles, according to some people, but could never remember which. I didn't flinch when I saw the rainbows, and thought it was them. (Chocolate are better.) I can hear my grandmother saying "jimmies" in her Boston accent. I thought the term "jimmies" was a LOT more regional than it apparently was.

I now get the temporary "Red Sox/White Sox" confusion, but oh, Jennifer - you had both Chicago ballparks eliminated! They always find fun ways to rephrase simple trivia facts on J!, like "This is where the Red Sox play", and this was one of those cases where you had to ignore a lot of the extraneous material. Heck, I didn't know where the Patriots played in the 60s.

As far as NHO Kraft - I guess of the triumvirate of Belichick, Brady, and Kraft, I could have forgiven not knowing Kraft...until this past spring. I am a little surprised Brady was two rows lower than Belichick - maybe they thought the year 2000 was a bit of a misdirect, but the "he got better" tag at the end should make it REALLY obvious.

Not a single clue on FJ!. I went with the "non-traditional" song of Jingle Bells, which was only about 80 years off. Surprising that in 1939 they went with such a German-sounding name for a heroic character - I imagine there must have been a lot of anti-German sentiment in the US back then.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

CasketRomance wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:03 am
TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:47 pm "Montgomery Ward" was all I needed to instaget this.
you know we are in bizzarro world if this was an instaget for hammer as he knew of the connection between montgomery ward and rudolph and hardly anyone else on here so far did
Jeff Goldblum plunged us into bizarro world, not poor Rudolph! I dimly remember a Rudolph storybook from childhood (Little Golden Book?) that may have acknowledged the Montgomery Ward origin on at least one page.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:11 am
is the nickname of the patriots head coach...he wears a hoody to most games and looks worse than most homeless people
QBall
Valued Contributor

Post by QBall »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:57 am
Bill Belichick has been coach of the Patriots for 19 years and won 6 Super Bowls. Maybe you could’ve swapped that clue for Tom Brady in the top box, but he’s definitely worth asking about/knowing on a general trivia level. But it’s a sports question, so of course it’s a NHO for you.

Which leads me to my next point people on here have been harping on for years: Stop sounding so offended that people know about things that you don’t in the top box, especially when it comes to sports stuff, where most things are NHO for you. This isn’t as bad as you being dismissive of Greta the other day, but it’s still not a good look.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

talkingaway wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:34 am
Would "Hemsworth" be a "which one?" for "Thor/Huntsman" - like the "Kennedy rule" for US Presidents? I can never get the two straight. (Chris and Liam, not Teddy and John.)
I'm pretty sure you would've been BMS'd on that. BTW, per a LL question a few years ago: there are three Hemsworth brothers (Chris, Liam and Luke).
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

CasketRomance wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:02 am
is the nickname of the patriots head coach...he wears a hoody to most games and looks worse than most homeless people
This must be a local usage in the CR-verse. I'm a C level (NFL) sports talk junkie and have never heard this as a nickname for Bellichick. Googled up "Coach Hoody", and "Coach Hoodie" with no hits for him. As a hapless Chiefs fan, I refer to him and number 12 both ambiguously as "Voldemort" (he who must not be named).

I prefer Voldemort's fashion statement (never really noticed the cut-off sleeves) over the idiocy of MLB Managers wearing unis. Bring back Connie Mack!
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

twelvefootboy wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:20 pm
This must be a local usage in the CR-verse. I'm a C level (NFL) sports talk junkie and have never heard this as a nickname for Bellichick. Googled up "Coach Hoody", and "Coach Hoodie" with no hits for him. As a hapless Chiefs fan, I refer to him and number 12 both ambiguously as "Voldemort" (he who must not be named).

I prefer Voldemort's fashion statement (never really noticed the cut-off sleeves) over the idiocy of MLB Managers wearing unis. Bring back Connie Mack!
what is cr verse?

did a search with belichick hoodie nickname and came up with this

Bill Belichick has acquired a few nicknames during his long tenure in the NFL. “The Hoodie” is one of the few that have stuck. Dolphins running back Damien Williams, who met with Belichick during 2017 free agency, gave Belichick a new nickname: “Ace Boogie with the Hoodie.”

i never heard it as "the hoodie"...i guess the slav in me said pizz on the article of "the" and just refer to him as "hoodie"
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Why is it that celebrity read clues need to have like twice the words of normal clues? I guess when they get someone like Jeff Goldblum they feel like they need to get their money's worth or something. The strangest thing about Goldblum wasn't that he read the clues slowly, but just the odd cadence of his reading. He put in lots of strange pauses. It seemed like he was trying a little too hard to be quirky.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

i get it now...i guess you were meaning casketromance-verse
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

CasketRomance wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:29 pm
This must be a local usage in the CR-verse.
what is cr verse?

did a search with belichick hoodie nickname and came up with this

[/quote]
(begin hand waving)
The CR-verse (Casket Romance Universe) is a parallel universe in a perpendicular dimension where there is no delete-key function to compress multiply redundant reply-postings and use of the shift-key is seen as a sign of weakness. Acronyms and jargon are persona non grata as well. Occasionally portals will open up into the hammerverse, or twelfth dimension and other realms. On a good day, nobody is any dumber after the encounter.
(end hand waving)

Thanks for the intel on Coach Voldemort. Funny he doesn't have a more sticky nickname (like mine) after the initial debut with his fashion statement. I have seen lots of epithets relating to their history of cheating.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

58 R (Missed the Bottom Two in Patriot Games.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Cotija, Kellyanne Conway, Fenway Park
Douglas Squasoni
soxfan99

Post by soxfan99 »

A Wray wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:42 pm
jeff6286 wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:05 pm
soxfan99 wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:27 pm I've never been in so much pain watching a Jeopardy game.

It started with a bottom row clue asking for jimmies, when what they showed weren't jimmies. (Jimmies are black, chocolate sprinkles. Multicolored ones are just sprinkles.)
This is by no means a universally agreed upon distinction.
Yeah, I grew up in the Boston area, where the term "jimmies" is most common, and don't recall ever hearing this distinction before.
I could see elsewhere in the country, but that surprises me about Boston. If you went into a Brigham's and wanted colored sprinkles, you'd never ask for jimmies. The fact that they're black has even resulted in the apophrycal story about how they are named jimmies after Jim Crow laws. I bet you think milkshakes have ice cream in them, and tonic has quinine in it, too?
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

Robert K S wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:49 am Not in love with this pure trivia, no-TOM Final. It's basically "pick a non-traditional Christmas song". Not sure what prevents it from being "Santa Claus Is Coming To Town" or "Silver Bells" or "Frosty The Snowman" or "Holly Jolly Christmas" or a variety of others.
Can't disagree. I thought "Montgomery Ward book" + Christmas = Christmas catalog = what kids ask for, that + novelty song = ??? All that nonsense lead me to be WAY wrong with "All I Want For Christmas Is My Two Front Teeth."

Compared with her first appearance, Jennifer showed some vulnerability on the buzzer. According to Andy's stats, she was at almost 60% first in on Wednesday and dropped to 42% on Thursday. That's still a very good performance, but not as dominant as she was. Going to be a very interesting Friday episode.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

mas3cf wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:24 pm
Robert K S wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:49 am Not in love with this pure trivia, no-TOM Final. It's basically "pick a non-traditional Christmas song". Not sure what prevents it from being "Santa Claus Is Coming To Town" or "Silver Bells" or "Frosty The Snowman" or "Holly Jolly Christmas" or a variety of others.

A first edition reading shows this is a "Night Before Christmas" inspiree.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PppjlgMv8tA
I'm with you. The best I could do was a coin flip, which naturally landed on the wrong side (Frosty).
I agree. Unless you happen to know this back-story (I certainly never heard of this), it's indeed "pick a song." I WAGGED "All I want for Christmas is my 2 front teeth," for no reason other than the memory of how kids back in the day used to peruse the catalogs (Sears, Montgomery Ward, etc.) to help us figure out what we wanted to ask Santa for.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

econgator wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:26 am
squarekara wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:31 pm Maybe we should poll the "jimmies" issue. Like the poster above, I've always considered the dk. brown ones jimmies and the multicolored ones sprinkles.
https://youtu.be/EkdvIVyuO8U
I've never heard of them called jimmies -- they're all sprinkles to me.
Same here. I'd need the the poll suggested by squarkara to include "Jimmies? Sprinkles can be called jimmies?" in addition to the color or type choices. Guess I grew up in the wrong part of the country.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.