Friday, December 6, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, December 6, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, December 6, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
EUROPE

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
A tourism website for this country noted its colorful history "filled with barbarians", royalty, "& even a movie star"

Jennifer Quail: 22000-6500=15500 (3x = $90,300)
Randy Hassell Jr.: 4600+1900=6500
Katie Kunamneni: 6400-2801=3599

Correct response:
Spoiler
Monaco (Jennifer – Germany) (Katie – Germany)

Daily Doubles
Katie: 4000-3000
Randy: 600+2000
Jennifer: 18600+3000

Coryats
Jennifer: 20600
Randy: 3400
Katie: 9400

Combined: 33,400

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Jennifer: 10600
Randy: 1000
Katie: 2000
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The players went through the material enough to allow for a full credits run. Nice to see things back on track for full 61-clue games after the DJ! round disaster on Monday.

Katie put an end to Jennifer's streak of finding all the DDs. Unfortunately for her she missed it and also made enemies in the state of Washington.

Randy converted DD2 on a gift clue and too bad for him he only had $600 at the time.

Jennifer was easily the best on material and buzzer to utilize the champ's advantage and by the end was in position to lose $6500 like it was nothing.

Credit to Randy for the sole solve on the FJ! clue and get the small victory of the second place prize.

The FJ! clue had me far from certain although I was done and correct within five seconds. Barbarians was not going to help me while "royalty" & "movie star" had go to the right place with no detours. It was nice to have a little bit of the entertainment industry in play off a less-inviting general category name of EUROPE.

Alex questioned Katie if the movie star she was thinking of was Marlene Dietrich and Katie shook her head yes. I call B.S. though Katie is welcome to confirm it as true on some forum.

Jennifer missed her first big clue though took her Coryat back over 20K. No one has gone from three wins to four wins since July so we'll see if Jennifer can upend that trend.

For those in the know is it okay to share when the change of taping pattern begins for 3 one day and 2 the next instead of the usual 5-a-day twice a week? Either way this game would be the end of the day for Jennifer and getting a break before returning again.
Last edited by MarkBarrett on Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hugo Z
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Hugo Z »

I went for the obvious (and correct) answer, but after mulling it over a bit, realized that Austria (Schwarzenegger) was a possible alternative.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:06 am For those in the know is it okay to share when the change of taping pattern begins for 3 one day and 2 the next instead of the usual 5-a-day twice a week? Either way this game would be the end of the day for Jennifer and getting a break before returning again.
I was pretty sure that this was debunked.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:52 am
MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:06 am For those in the know is it okay to share when the change of taping pattern begins for 3 one day and 2 the next instead of the usual 5-a-day twice a week? Either way this game would be the end of the day for Jennifer and getting a break before returning again.
I was pretty sure that this was debunked.
Wait a minute, you mean everything I read on the Internet is not true? Thanks for the intel.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Hugo Z wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:24 am I went for the obvious (and correct) answer, but after mulling it over a bit, realized that Austria (Schwarzenegger) was a possible alternative.
There is a Wikipedia list article on Austrian movie stars, but not one on Monegasque movie stars.
Hugo Z
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Hugo Z »

Robert K S wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:34 pm
Hugo Z wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:24 am I went for the obvious (and correct) answer, but after mulling it over a bit, realized that Austria (Schwarzenegger) was a possible alternative.
There is a Wikipedia list article on Austrian movie stars, but not one on Monegasque movie stars.
That's a list of "film actors," and as Peter O'Toole would tell you, that's not necessarily the same thing as a movie star.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Fair point, but to think Austria has only ever produced or been home to one star ignores people like Hedy Lamarr, Paul Henreid, and Christoph Waltz, all of whom are bona fide Walk of Fame stars.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

I wonder who the two Germanys had in mind for its movie star. Dietrich?
I'm smart and I want respect.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:06 am The FJ! clue had me far from certain although I was done and correct within five seconds. Barbarians was not going to help me while "royalty" & "movie star" had go to the right place with no detours.
Same for me, thankfully. Not sure what barbarians have to do with it -- I'll look it up eventually.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

That DD was yet another football clue where I would've passed out from shock had the contestant gotten it right.

"It's Not Rocket Science" was the crappiest, laziest category in a while. Please don't do anything like that again, J! writers.

Barbarians + movie stars? Gotta be Monaco.
OK it was just the movie star bit that led me to Grace Kelly -> Monaco, after which the bit about royalty made sense, though 'royalty' describes most of European history, and since that word wasn't in quotation marks, I wonder if the tourism website specifically said 'princes' or 'princesses', which would've made it too easy.

Well done Randy. Had some rough spots, but you acquitted yourself well, and you got FJ and 2nd place.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Coryat $38,000 (46 R, 2 W)
DD 3/3
FJ :mrgreen:

Congrats to oduguy22 on the sole solve on FJ! Up against a very good champion, tough draw.
True North
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by True North »

Coryat: $34,200 (45R, 2W)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: 12 (DD), Jupiter, Die Harder

Good J (ran 3/6), DJ was not terrific despite running 20th Century and Rest of the Title.

I was set to go with Austria (for Ahnold) until I thought of Monaco and Grace Kelly. It seemed like a better fit, so I went with it and was rewarded.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

got the final jeopardy clue correct, but i don't get the barbarians reference...thinking of that led me to a scandinavian country, but then scrapped it and just went with monaco in the end
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

Jennifer continues to make the occasional throwaway guess. This game was well in hand enough to afford it, but I still grimace every time she does it.

'Retired Sports Team Numbers' was a category I could sink my teeth into. Naturally, the players avoided it until almost no other clues were left.
Easy run of the category.
AlphaDummy
Valued Contributor

Post by AlphaDummy »

xxaaaxx wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:42 pm
"It's Not Rocket Science" was the crappiest, laziest category in a while. Please don't do anything like that again, J! writers.
Did anyone else immediately think of Tim Kazurinsky's Dr. Jack Badofsky character on SNL once it became apparent where this category was going?

(Edit: And yeah, I loved Alex's "if you start at the top" comment...)
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Category 13 wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:16 pm Jennifer continues to make the occasional throwaway guess. This game was well in hand enough to afford it, but I still grimace every time she does it.

'Retired Sports Team Numbers' was a category I could sink my teeth into. Naturally, the players avoided it until almost no other clues were left.
Easy run of the category.
Jennifer is at 4.67 W average. Coming into the ToC last month Fenster was king with 5.44 with Josh Hill next at 3.13 while everyone else was in the 1s & 2s.

On the other end Jennifer has 28.33 R over 3 games to be ahead of all of those ToCers other than James with 34.97 over 33 games. Small sample for Jennifer with comparisons becoming more clear after a 4th game.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

I guess the Austria people were thinking of Schwarzenegger as Conan the Barbarian. Makes a bit more sense now. Anyway, I'm sure Monaco had its share of barbarians. They don't like paying taxes any more than you or I.
I'm smart and I want respect.