THE "J" EFFECT $1000 clue 12/5/19 [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

How did you do with the Ice Cream clue on 12/5/19?

Poll ended at Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:08 pm

I had the desired correct response of "jimmies" for the Thursday $1000 clue that met the category requirement.
48%
I missed the $1000 clue with an incorrect response.
2%
I clammed on the $1000 clue.
43%
Jimmies as a term for ice cream sprinkles was not familiar to me.
40%
If that pictured topping is multicolored it can only be sprinkles.
20%
Regardless of the J! clue, in my opinion jimmies have to be a dark color chocolate only.
5%
Sprinkles or jimmies, who cares?  A topping is a topping.
36%
Dark chocolate color or rainbow colors, I call them all sprinkles.
67%
I come into this poll with a Philadelphia area bias.
3%
I come into this poll with a New England bias.
13%
I come into this poll with a South bias.
8%
I come into this poll with a non-Northeast, North bias.
5%
I come into this poll with a non-Northeast, East bias.
3%
I come into this poll with a Midwest bias.
27%
I come into this poll with a West bias.
16%
I have watched the The World According to Jeff Goldblum "Ice Cream" episode on Disney Plus.
3%

Total votes: 88

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

THE "J" EFFECT $1000 clue 12/5/19 [SPOILERS]

Post by MarkBarrett »

THE "J" EFFECT $1000: It's the name some folks use for the additions on the ice cream

spoiler because of big image:
Spoiler
This is set up for many more options than one or two on the regular poll. Let's dig in early.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Re: THE "J" EFFECT $1000 clue 12/5/19 [SPOILERS]

Post by Volante »

Clam, sprinkles all the way, west coast.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Sprinkles has always been my term as a San Franciscan although learned of jimmies from watching J! with previous clues. I'm the guilty voter for both admitting to watching the Goldblum episode and having Disney+ in the first place. The library already in place is amazing with that service.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

New Englander, instaget to the point where it’s a top row clue on kids week to me, always call them sprinkles myself, I knew that some people reserve jimmies for one of the two types only, but forgot whether jimmies were chocolate only or rainbow only.
clprez

Post by clprez »

I am from the midwest, but in the early 80s I lived near Boston for a few years. I was often ridiculed for not understanding the local lingo, so I stopped asking questions in real time and would ask my coworkers for clarification later.

When I was at a mall, I ordered an ice cream cone, and the woman asked me if I wanted jimmies with that, and I declined. I have no idea about how they are colored.

A couple other food things that I encountered were when I asked a waitress for a sundae, she told me that the freezer was acting up, but she could still make a "frappe" which I declined, and another time when I ordered coffee and she wanted to know if I wanted "coffee regular", and that time I said yes and unexpectedly it came with, I believe, cream and sugar.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

They're all sprinkles to me. Spent my first 10 years in NYC and out on the Island; the rest mostly in FL.
Leander

Post by Leander »

Grew up in New Jersey, heard both jimmies and sprinkles, but mainly jimmies. Can’t remember if jimmies only meant chocolate since the chocolate ones were the ones I always ordered.

I wonder if there is a generational as well as geographic aspect to the usage?
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I've heard "jimmies" once before (or more than once from the same place: one of the guys from the GameGrumps channel on YouTube referred to sprinkles as "jimmies," and I previously thought he could have been joking. (For the record, he comes from the south of Florida.) Actually, on seeing the picture and hearing the clue, my mind first went to "hundreds and thousands," which is a name for them in England. Obviously that wasn't going to be right, and I clammed.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

never heard of jimmies...no bias...lived in several regions of usa
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

I would never call multi colored sprinkles jimmies, but I knew what the question was going for. W e c i b?
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Never, ever heard of the term jimmies. But I don't like ice cream so nobody would ever ask me if I want them. All I know about sprinkles is that they are for winners, according to Big Daddy Matty. Puts me in my place, lol..

Sometimes an iced cake donut will have the soft sprinkles on them and I will choose a different one if available. Worse are the hard sugar granules that make it seem like you dropped it in the gravel.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Midwest, I've lived in Boston but never ordered ice cream with (those things) there. Never heard of them called anything except sprinkles.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

twelvefootboy wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:57 pm Never, ever heard of the term jimmies.
Ditto
nserven
At the Clam Shack

Post by nserven »

Born and raised north of Boston. "Jimmies" is very familiar to me, though I hadn't noted the distinction between the chocolate and rainbow toppings. I believe Brigham's, a former ice cream/restaurant chain, used "jimmies" on its menu. While the restaurants have since closed, the brand is still sold in containers:

http://brighams.com/Products/default.aspx?id=2971
True North
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by True North »

Correct for me. I’m a Canadian who always says sprinkles, but familiar with jimmies as a term. I thought they were interchangeable.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

Clammed -- have never heard them called anything except "sprinkles." Grew up in and currently live in the Rocky Mountain region, but lived for several years each in Florida, Louisiana, and North Carolina. Sprinkles were never a major topic of conversation anywhere.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

clprez wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:49 pm A couple other food things that I encountered were when I asked a waitress for a sundae, she told me that the freezer was acting up, but she could still make a "frappe" which I declined...
Watching the recent TV series "NOS4A2," which takes place in Massachusetts, I heard the term "frappes" more than I ever had before. It almost seemed like the scriptwriters were deliberately trying to work frappes into the script as much as they could.
billiej

Post by billiej »

New Englander, I always say sprinkles, but knew jimmies and was able to give the correct response. I was not aware of any sort of distinction in the terms in regards to color.
soxfan99

Post by soxfan99 »

As I started this whole debate, you know I knew they were Jimmies, even though to me, Jimmies are chocolate only. Always lived in the Boston area. My mother grew up in East Cambridge, so my Bostonian vocab comes from her. Other traditional Boston / New England area food and drink term

Frappe - A blended beverage of milk, syrup, ice cream.
Milkshake - A blended beverage of milk and syrup, no ice cream

Regular Coffee - Coffee with cream and sugar (I had somebody staying with me from Germany who was frustrated because he wanted black coffee at Dunkin but just kept getting cream and sugar when he ordered a regular. If you want black, just order "black".)

Fluff - A gooey marshmallow spread
Fluffernutter - A sandwich made with peanut butter and fluff

Tonic - Any carbonated, flavored beverage (e.g., Coke, Sprite, etc.)

Bubbler (pronounced "bubbla") - A water fountain

Steak Tips - Small pieces of beef that are usually heavily marinated and grilled. They're served in just about any local restaurant or pub. In fancier establishments, they're cut from the top sirloin, but at your corner bar, they could be any cut of meat. I only recently realized, when talking to somebody from another part of the country, that steak tips are a New England specialty

Scrod - Any filet of small whitefish, usually haddock or cod, but occasionally may be substituted for pollack or another fish
Steamers (pronounced "steamahs") - Small, soft-shell clams steamed and served with drawn butter

American Chop Suey - Mix of elbow macaroni, hamburger, tomato sauce, and maybe some onions or peppers
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

soxfan99 wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:15 am As I started this whole debate, you know I knew they were Jimmies, even though to me, Jimmies are chocolate only. Always lived in the Boston area. My mother grew up in East Cambridge, so my Bostonian vocab comes from her. Other traditional Boston / New England area food and drink term

Frappe - A blended beverage of milk, syrup, ice cream.
Milkshake - A blended beverage of milk and syrup, no ice cream

Regular Coffee - Coffee with cream and sugar (I had somebody staying with me from Germany who was frustrated because he wanted black coffee at Dunkin but just kept getting cream and sugar when he ordered a regular. If you want black, just order "black".)

Fluff - A gooey marshmallow spread
Fluffernutter - A sandwich made with peanut butter and fluff

Tonic - Any carbonated, flavored beverage (e.g., Coke, Sprite, etc.)

Bubbler (pronounced "bubbla") - A water fountain

Steak Tips - Small pieces of beef that are usually heavily marinated and grilled. They're served in just about any local restaurant or pub. In fancier establishments, they're cut from the top sirloin, but at your corner bar, they could be any cut of meat. I only recently realized, when talking to somebody from another part of the country, that steak tips are a New England specialty

Scrod - Any filet of small whitefish, usually haddock or cod, but occasionally may be substituted for pollack or another fish
Steamers (pronounced "steamahs") - Small, soft-shell clams steamed and served with drawn butter

American Chop Suey - Mix of elbow macaroni, hamburger, tomato sauce, and maybe some onions or peppers
You forgot a few...

Carriage - shopping cart
Bang - to execute a turn in an automobile, e.g. "Go to Boylston and bang a left"
Dunks - Dunkin' Donuts
Boot - to vomit
Sick - extremely good or skilled