Monday, December 9, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, December 9, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, December 9, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
VICE PRESIDENTS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
George H.W. Bush in 1988 was the first sitting Vice President to be elected to the top job since this man 152 years before

Jennifer Quail: 21700+11300=33000 (4x = $123,300)
Jeff Kushner: 5200-5198=2
Ann Baur: 15200-8701=6499

Correct response:
Spoiler
Martin van Buren (Jeff – Jackson) (Ann – Jackson)

Daily Doubles
Jennifer: 8200+1500
Jennifer: 14900+4000
Ann: 5000+5000

Coryats
Jennifer: 18800
Jeff: 5200
Ann: 12200

Combined: 36,200

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Jennifer: 10500
Jeff: 1200
Ann: 4200
Last edited by theFJguy on Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Another solid by WXVT breaking away from the hearing on the dot to start J!

What a surprise - POKÉMON was the last category played in the J! round and thanks to Jennifer's ridiculously slow clue selecting at times there was not time to complete the category.

I could smell the reversal coming and that padded Jennifer's total having to cover 30400 instead of 22400. Jennifer went for more and if she missed it could have been 10400 for her and 10400 if Jeff had doubled and got it.

Not that the wagers and responses were going to get there, but in a different time line Ann also could have fallen to 10400.

As is Jennifer got the important 4th win. No 4xers made the Buzzy ToC, so if the gap is two years then it is possible for Jennifer not to make the ToC if she loses tomorrow. On the other hand I would think anyone good enough to get that much in four days is good enough to win again.

The FJ! clue category had me making sure I could be instant on VPs from Ike foward and the Cheney clue eliminated one ahead of time. The FJ! clue had me doing the math. Don't ask me math terms during J!, but a basic calculation I can handle. The year had me write the correct name and I knew it was right as the curse check for the next election added up.

If I was in Jennifer's spot and Alex asked if I wrote down (that wrong name by the others) also it would have been hard for me to avoid a disrespected facial expression or even worse a reflexive offensive gesture of some sort.
Last edited by MarkBarrett on Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Jennifer's 4-day total is $100 more than Brian Weikle's 4-day total.

Also, I gotta get those damn Presidential dates on some flashcards.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:00 pm Jennifer's 4-day total is $100 more than Brian Weikle's 4-day total.

As I kind of mentioned above, knowing where to place the curse beginning can be helpful for sorting the presidents. From there it's the even more basic of knowing the order of the guys.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:00 pm Jennifer's 4-day total is $100 more than Brian Weikle's 4-day total.

I second the value of having Presidential years memorized cold.
I've committed them to memory, which reduced this to a simple subtraction problem.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

mas3cf wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:16 pm

I've committed them to memory, which reduced this to a simple subtraction problem.
I need to get on Sporcle at some point to work on that. On a similar note, my world capitals need brushing up.
CasualJeopardyFan19
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by CasualJeopardyFan19 »

Assuming Ryan Bilger's spot in the TOC is still secure, Jennifer should also be eligible now with this win.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

CasualJeopardyFan19 wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:37 pm Assuming Ryan Bilger's spot in the TOC is still secure, Jennifer should also be eligible now with this win.
Ryan Bilger was alternate for 2019 and will be in the next TOC since his 4x total was higher than the 4xers that did get in due to the early cut off. In some cycles the qualifying period could have gone right up to November 1. The deck would have been reshuffled to boot Eric, Anneke, and Lindsey and instead it would have been Ryan Bilger, Sam Kavanaugh and Jason Zuffranieri playing last month.

Jennifer's 4x total now having gone past Ryan's total guarantees nothing as it does not matter for ToC eligibility comparison. Ryan's spot is promised and Jennifer's is not. Yet.

Where Jennifer's 4x+$ counts is it being unlikely (though not impossible) to be surpassed enough times before the next ToC. The powers have shown they will place a cut line when and where they please. The show does not want a ToC with 15 men. Yes, gender should not come into the discussion, yet history on the show demonstrates it matters.

2019 ended up with 4 women in the ToC when just as easily it could have been 1 with just Rachel Lindgren if Larry Martin stays alive and Dave Leffler keeps a place over Emma Boettcher coupled with more traditional qualifying period.

If enough women this season and next win 5X and above and/or College/Teachers along with a bunch of male 5X and above then Jennifer could be bumped. Not as much money, but Jackie & Mary Ann found out what 4x gets you. Not making the ToC would also have to mean that Jennifer loses tomorrow as 5 wins is in, low or high money. Jennifer's 4-game stat line is easily ToC-quality:

20,850 Coryat
27R
perfect on DDs and just 1 FJ! miss
The W got down to a 4.0 average with only 2 misses today

A win and it's settled. A loss and it's a trip down the ladder from #4 to who knows where.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

Ironhorse wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:34 pm
mas3cf wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:16 pm

I need to get on Sporcle at some point to work on that. On a similar note, my world capitals need brushing up.

try jetpunk...less ads and lag
True North
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by True North »

Coryat: $35,600 (45R, 3W)
DD: 2/3
FJ: :(
LT: A&P

Surprisingly good game for how badly I thought it went. My head seemed pretty cloudy. Brain-farted on Flying Scotsman by blurting out Flying Dutchman (my dad would’ve had my head, he had a jigsaw puzzle of the Flying Scotsman hanging in his den!) and on trainer with groomer. Also went for the negbait Dante’s Inferno.

Should’ve gotten FJ, but had to do the math instead of knowing the dates straight away and screwed it up royally. Could’ve also gotten it if I’d known all the VPs :x

I’m glad Jennifer won, both because I want to see her in the ToC, and because Ann was taking too long calling out the categories to get through all the clues :D
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

I wonder if that's the first time "come out of the closet" has ever been said on the show?

I knew disassociative was a word but I thought the neg was because they were going for the name of the condition which is dissociative.

I forgot the category and said catharsis. Damn it!

Fj was an insta get for me. I've seen the clip of George HW Bush congratulating himself for overcoming the curse of Martin Van Buren. And of course if you haven't seen the clip, doing the math will take you to the correct year for Old Kinderhook. OK?
TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:00 pm
. I could have taken 100 guesses and literally never gotten to Van Buren.
That's pretty bad, because only 44 men have served as president.
Last edited by floridagator on Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

ARRRGH Y U NO FINISH POKEMON CATEGORY HOW DARE YOU JKSLDFHKJLDSFHKLJADFKL

Johnny's still mispronouncing "Dowagiac", I see.

I thought the Pokémon board was cute.

All but Bourbon Street in Geo, Dude and phlegmatic in slowpoke.

Thought I'd finally managed to stop confusing Kilimanjaro and Fuji, but not this time... Any way to make that one finally stick?

3/5 in Rock Hall of Fame. Blanked on Jimmy Page, NHO Faces in the Rod Stewart sense.

All but J. S. Bach in Artsy Christmastime. Bit down hard on the Handel negbait AS USUAL.

How did we have four clues left in DJ!?

No guess on FJ! Just had total brainlock and couldn't think of any presidents in that range. I could have taken 100 guesses and literally never gotten to Van Buren.

Lach Trash: A&P
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:00 pm ARRRGH Y U NO FINISH POKEMON CATEGORY HOW DARE YOU JKSLDFHKJLDSFHKLJADFKL

Thought I'd finally managed to stop confusing Kilimanjaro and Fuji, but not this time... Any way to make that one finally stick?

3/5 in Rock Hall of Fame. Blanked on Jimmy Page, NHO Faces in the Rod Stewart sense.

All but J. S. Bach in Artsy Christmastime. Bit down hard on the Handel negbait AS USUAL.

No guess on FJ! Just had total brainlock and couldn't think of any presidents in that range. I could have taken 100 guesses and literally never gotten to Van Buren.

mt fuji shares its name with a japanese company of the same name...fuji...mr. fuji was a japanese american manager in wwe (wwf at the time)...and not to mention...there is a mr. fuji in the pokemon universe (thought you were a pokemon fanboy?)...pokemon is a japanese creation...with all of that, i don't see how you have any trouble in the future...then again..we are talking about the hammer dude
Last edited by CasketRomance on Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:00 pm ARRRGH Y U NO FINISH POKEMON CATEGORY HOW DARE YOU JKSLDFHKJLDSFHKLJADFKL

because the champion is slow
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

floridagator wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:59 pm I wonder if that's the first time "come out of the closet" has ever been said on the show?

I knew disassociative was a word but I thought the neg was because they were going for the name of the condition which is dissociative.

Fj was an insta get for me. I've seen the clip of George HW Bush congratulating himself for overcoming the curse of Martin Van Buren. And of course if you haven't seen the clip, doing the math will take you to the correct year for Old Kinderhook. OK?

i thought there have been 45?
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

CasketRomance wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:12 pm
floridagator wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:59 pm

Who's to say that in all that guessing I wouldn't accidentally say at least a few of them twice?
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

floridagator wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:59 pm I wonder if that's the first time "come out of the closet" has ever been said on the show?

Cleveland's two terms are counted separately. We are currently in the 45th presidency but the current resident is the 44th person to hold the post.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:15 pm
floridagator wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:59 pm

Who's to say that in all that guessing I wouldn't accidentally say at least a few of them twice?
To tell you the truth, in all the excitement, I kind of lost track myself. But being as this is a 44 or 45 president country, the most powerful country in the world, and will blow your country clean up...