Wednesday, December 11, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Wednesday, December 11, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by twelvefootboy »

econgator wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:40 pm
twelvefootboy wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:21 pm Naming Hanford would have been a vicious clue
I'd guess that would poll under 5%.
Yes, it isn't worth a poll spot. The Hanford mention might even have increased this clue difficulty as most people haven't heard of it. I think asking for Los Alamos would have been a better clue. The only negbait is Sandia and Alamagordo (Trinity test site), so maybe it would play too easy?
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

Judges: TMI for semi-incorrectly saying that Dougray Scott is "Prince Charming"? The "Ever After" name is apparently Crown Prince Henry. Seems like negbait to me, since the reflexive response is to refer to the Disney adaptation.

I started to think Fort Knox, but then remembered from an earlier episode that Fort Knox is in Kentucky, because I thought it was in Tennessee. Yay, learning! And, of course, now I know why I thought Fort Knox was in Tennessee in the first place - Knoxville! Still wasn't right. I went with Nashville, but I knew it couldn't be right - they're not going to let you guess the state capital!

Lowest Coryat for me in awhile. Seemed like a tougher board than usual.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

twelvefootboy wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:21 pm Naming Hanford would have been a vicious clue
I think you're underestimating the people here. I'd bet a solid 25% would know Hanford. Although I could be overestimating based on it being in Washington.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:11 pm
I think you're underestimating the people here. I'd bet a solid 25% would know Hanford. Although I could be overestimating based on it being in Washington.
That's a hard NHO on my end.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Instaget FJ for me. Had I been spotted WA, Hanford would be an easy get, too, but I have the advantage of knowing most of the National Labs.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

talkingaway wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:20 pm Judges: TMI for semi-incorrectly saying that Dougray Scott is "Prince Charming"? The "Ever After" name is apparently Crown Prince Henry. Seems like negbait to me, since the reflexive response is to refer to the Disney adaptation.
I recalled a response of The Prince, and the archive agrees with me.

On this clue, I noticed that Alex pronounced the first name as "doo-gray", when I've always assumed it was a combination of the names Doug and Ray.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:28 pm
I have never seen a marquee that also names the actors.

In case you're still not sure, I was the one who sent you the shopping center book.
Last edited by floridagator on Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

I have heard of Hanford, and knew it was famous for something, but if you had asked me what it was famous for, I would've said that it was a town that got evacuated after the Mt. St. Helens explosion.
Leander

Post by Leander »

I've heard of Hanford and know where it is and a general connection to nuclear stuff, but I had no idea it had any connection to the Manhattan Project. I might have thrown it out as a wild guess though, if asked for a Washington site.
yclept

Post by yclept »

Once again, Jennifer hits a few categories where her knowledge is obviously vast and the game goes from a tossup to a blowout in about 2 minutes or so. Yesterday was especially striking because it really did come out of nowhere.

Will someone eventually find a DD, bet large, get it, and dethrone her? Probably. If her strategy is to not be aggressive on DD, she should at least hunt them down to get them off the board.... Dave Madden style.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Spotted 'Washington', I would have gotten Hanford immediately.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Spotted "Washington," "starts with H", and "ends with ford", I still wouldn't have gotten it.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

Woof wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:28 pm Instaget FJ for me. Had I been spotted WA, Hanford would be an easy get, too.
This. Without the state, though, Hanford would have been a long hunt and I probably would gone with Alamogordo.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

twelvefootboy wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:21 pm The FJ category had me worried, as theirs (sic)* a ton of obscure National parks. So I get a freebie since the company I co-founded is the sole source in the free world for ceramic crucibles too melt Uranium and Plutonium since the '80s. :).
*just trolling our chief with a few Trumpian nuggets - i have the same curse of nazi-grammar/spelling intolerance disorder. I promise not to do it again :). My preferred parking spot is at risk! Now, typos and lazy shift keys, no prob.. :)
The asterisked "theirs" was a bit jarring, but I especially liked "too melt." If given the choice, I prefer my fissionables to be too melted instead of not melted enough.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

floridagator wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:03 am
TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:28 pm
I have never seen a marquee that also names the actors.

In case you're still not sure, I was the one who sent you the shopping center book.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Thank you! Funniest post of the month.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

I thought the judges were generous to give Jennifer credit for whatever she said instead of (Charles) Perrault. I turned on closed captions and they transcribed her response as “Pure-Oh”, whereas I’m pretty sure she was saying something closer to Pierrot. Maybe it was the right call for a foreign name. Thoughts?
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

morbeedo wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:27 am I thought the judges were generous to give Jennifer credit for whatever she said instead of (Charles) Perrault. I turned on closed captions and they transcribed her response as “Pure-Oh”, whereas I’m pretty sure she was saying something closer to Pierrot. Maybe it was the right call for a foreign name. Thoughts?
I think she answered a hard question and ought to get the ruling.
IMHO, unless there is a need to BMS on account of a similar name, then the players should get the benefit of mangled pronunciation. Emanciptation proclamation is close enough for 6th graders OR adults. We know what you meant.
It's a tougher call for the "extra" syllable (was that the dissociative clue?), but not quite right isn't the same thing as completely wrong.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

morbeedo wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:27 am I thought the judges were generous to give Jennifer credit for whatever she said instead of (Charles) Perrault. I turned on closed captions and they transcribed her response as “Pure-Oh”, whereas I’m pretty sure she was saying something closer to Pierrot. Maybe it was the right call for a foreign name. Thoughts?
It sounded like Pierrot to me, too, but IMO that's close enough to get the call. Courtesy of the Great Vowel Shift, Americans get a pass on pronouncing the vowels in foreign names as a rule.
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

morbeedo wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:27 amI thought the judges were generous to give Jennifer credit for whatever she said instead of (Charles) Perrault. I turned on closed captions and they transcribed her response as “Pure-Oh”, whereas I’m pretty sure she was saying something closer to Pierrot. Maybe it was the right call for a foreign name. Thoughts?
Not knowing the answer to that one at all, I heard "Poirot", as in the fictional inspector.

If I had known the answer and the spelling of the name, I'd be seriously tempted to [mis]pronounce it as purr-alt. Likely no where near the correct French pronunciation, but I suspect it would be accepted instantly.

Which brings up a question. Is it better to attempt the foreign pronunciation and slightly miss on that, or to completely give up and go with some horrible Americanized pronunciation?

Edit: Her answer was good enough for me, whatever that's worth.
--Peter
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:11 pmI think you're underestimating the people here. I'd bet a solid 25% would know Hanford. Although I could be overestimating based on it being in Washington.
Depends on how it's asked. Ask me what happens at Hanford, and I'll say it's a lab working on nuclear projects. Ask me for the name of the Nuclear Lab in Washington (and even specify the state rather than DC), and I'll give you a blank stare.

That was my problem with today's FJ. I've heard of Oak Ridge as a national lab, but I have no idea where it is. I also didn't know it is a nuclear lab. I was pretty sure I was going to recognize the name once revealed, and I was correct. So another frustrating miss. It seems I often know something, but it's not enough to solve the clue.
--Peter