Thursday, December 12, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Thursday, December 12, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by This Is Kirk! »

talkingaway wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:42 pm I only know the very basics of Ayn Rand - Fountainhead, Atlas Shrugged, Objectivism, and Paul Ryan. I honestly couldn't have placed her country of origin, so, lesson learned: author bios are important. But, in fact, the idea that the FJ! clue was asking for "an important mid-century female Russian (and possibly American) author" went over my head - why would someone testifying about something related to McCarthyism have to be Russian herself, just because the name of the movie had "Russia" in it?
To me the key part of the clue was a mid-century female author who would be anti-communist and that points to Ayn Rand. I'm sure I've heard the fact that she was Russian at some point, but that certainly didn't enter into my thought process last night. It probably would have increased my confidence from 90% to 99%, but it wasn't a necessary fast to get this FJ.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:03 pm
To me the key part of the clue was a mid-century female author who would be anti-communist and that points to Ayn Rand.
Same reasoning here. Didn't know she had said that, but "it seemed like something she would say."
This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:34 am Jennifer is an impressive player, but for some reason subtle. She just goes about her business and the next thing you know she's racked up $20k!
You and TFB nailed it -- she is definitely "sneaky good." No flash or flamboyance, but at the end of a game she has a lock and we usually don't notice it developing. Fun games to watch.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

trainman wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:28 am I know the general rule is that the leading article doesn't matter unless it matters (e.g. "Invisible Man" vs. "The Invisible Man"), but it grated on me that Kim's response of "The Quiet Place" was accepted for the film title "A Quiet Place."
Same here! I had to remind myself that it was correct within the rules. And then some petty part of me started hoping that the researchers would find a feature film called The Quiet Place (it's not on IMDB anyway) and there'd be a reversal after the break.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

twelvefootboy wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:23 am FWIW, I haven't noticed any wardrobe repetition (or malfunctions either :)). But I'd think the show would have a contingency for extended streaks and pony up something from wardrobe.
Players who want to do an extended streak don't really need anything from wardrobe, do they?
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:52 pm
twelvefootboy wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:23 am FWIW, I haven't noticed any wardrobe repetition (or malfunctions either :)). But I'd think the show would have a contingency for extended streaks and pony up something from wardrobe.
Players who want to do an extended streak don't really need anything from wardrobe, do they?
Don't look, Ethel!
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:59 pm
Don't look, Ethel!
How dare you beat me to the punch on a Ray Stevens reference. :lol:
twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by twelvefootboy »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:27 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:59 pm
Don't look, Ethel!
How dare you beat me to the punch on a Ray Stevens reference. :lol:
Here I set it up and then Penguin did a bait and switch! I was thinking more about the wardrobe suggestions from the Wizard of Oz (which I believe was shot there or nearby). Those flying monkeys had some cool bellhop suits didn't they?

Funny that Ray Stevens came up - I just asked my sister to quit explaining our family tree because I'm afraid I might find out that I'm my own Grandpa! The guy had real talent beyond his novelty song persona.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
floridagator
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by floridagator »

goongas wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:08 am
I consider it unfortunate that Jennifer has had limited ways of rotating the outfits. Yes, of course, she can go get new things to wear with any kind of break in the taping schedule (if she wins tomorrow), but I would think no one wants to go on any game show and be seen wearing the same things in such a short period of time.
Do they not have any wardrobe for contestants for emergencies? What if I spill my lunch or coffee on my clothing? What if I bring clothing that is not approved? I believe Millionaire had wardrobe options in case a contestant needed it.
Jeopardy has a lost and found box that contestants are welcome to Avail themselves of
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: 28,200
41 R/2 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: (none)

Female author + 20th Century + Anti-Communist (+ Russian) = Ayn Rand

I will never get used to contestants who apparently have no interest in winning the game. I just don't get it. You get one shot, one opportunity, and you just let it slip?
Sprinkles are for winners.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:03 am I will never get used to contestants who apparently have no interest in winning the game. I just don't get it. You get one shot, one opportunity, and you just let it slip?
Is that how you explain the phenomenon of poor wagers? The contestants genuinely and consciously have no interest in winning the game?
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

opusthepenguin wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:52 am
BigDaddyMatty wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:03 am I will never get used to contestants who apparently have no interest in winning the game. I just don't get it. You get one shot, one opportunity, and you just let it slip?
Is that how you explain the phenomenon of poor wagers? The contestants genuinely and consciously have no interest in winning the game?
No, of course not. What I mean is that we see time and again contestants who, in situations where the only realistic shot at victory is to go for broke, instead choose the "safe" route of a small, round DD wager. They seem more concerned about avoiding the potential embarrassment of flaming out on national TV than about doing whatever they can to maximize their chances of winning the game. I doubt it's conscious in nature, but it is nonetheless a real and common phenomenon.
Sprinkles are for winners.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Woof wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:22 pm
ACW wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:57 pm Okay, what IS a "wine-tasting consultant"?
She explained this on an earlier episode. She's employed either by a winery or a distributor. She organizes wine tastings for groups where they get to try and, with luck, buy the wines she's offering.
We went to Ridge Winery in California over the holidays and did one of those private tastings.

At one point, my mind wandered and I imagined that our "consultant" was an ex-host from Westworld

+1 Ayn Rand

Sad to see such timid wagering from a fellow New Yorker. 'Darn.'
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Ridge is one of my favorite California wineries. The drive up to their winery from Cupertino is not for the faint of heart. In my cellar, I have a photo of myself and Paul Draper, former winemaker at Ridge and a personal hero of mine. Although Monte Bello is now priced out of reach, Geyserville and Lytton Springs are still affordable.