Thursday, December 12, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Re: Thursday, December 12, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Volante »

I was thinking of a Hollywood tie-in so ... Margaret Mitchell. Apparently Fountainhead was earlier than I was placing it by a decade, not that I'd recall it, it was so bad I actively try to forget it...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I didn't know that fact about Ayn Rand, but it sure seemed like it would be her and I had her name written down quickly tonight.
goongas
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by goongas »

I consider it unfortunate that Jennifer has had limited ways of rotating the outfits. Yes, of course, she can go get new things to wear with any kind of break in the taping schedule (if she wins tomorrow), but I would think no one wants to go on any game show and be seen wearing the same things in such a short period of time.
Do they not have any wardrobe for contestants for emergencies? What if I spill my lunch or coffee on my clothing? What if I bring clothing that is not approved? I believe Millionaire had wardrobe options in case a contestant needed it.
CasualJeopardyFan19
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by CasualJeopardyFan19 »

If she wins tomorrow's game with at least $25K (which would then surpass Larissa Kelly's 6-day winnings), then Jennifer will officially be the 2nd greatest female contestant in Jeopardy history in terms of regular play (though overall I would give that honor to the aforementioned Larissa Kelly).
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

CasualJeopardyFan19 wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:19 am If she wins tomorrow's game with at least $25K (which would then surpass Larissa Kelly's 6-day winnings), then Jennifer will officially be the 2nd greatest female contestant in Jeopardy history in terms of regular play (though overall I would give that honor to the aforementioned Larissa Kelly).
By how they rank contestants in ToC qualification (and how much more official can you get?), she's already second.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

In 1947 she testified before the House Un-American Activities Committee on how the film “Song of Russia” was communist propaganda

Yes, but later a conspiracy theory went out that it was actually the Ukranians :roll:

I'm not informed enough to be judging, but I really think this is a despicable person from the piecemeal information I do know. I went with the Pearl Buck answer as really the only female author I can name except for Rachel Carson. On reveal, yeah she's a J! favorite and I should have worked it out. But I NHO the Russian aspect, just the misanthropy.

FWIW, I haven't noticed any wardrobe repetition (or malfunctions either :)). But I'd think the show would have a contingency for extended streaks and pony up something from wardrobe.

Mark tastefully showed us the math for the wagers. Handy, because we probably don't keep records. But everybody knows (especially the players) they are wrong both in foresight and hindsight. Is there any need to be punching down?

It will take a perfect storm to trip Jennifer up. A quick clicker, some high risk/high reward bets, a pretty good encyclopedia of knowledge, and possibly some destructive guessing by Jennifer. I like the way someone posted how she catches fire and dominates from out of nowhere.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Jennifer is an impressive player, but for some reason subtle. She just goes about her business and the next thing you know she's racked up $20k!
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

I know the general rule is that the leading article doesn't matter unless it matters (e.g. "Invisible Man" vs. "The Invisible Man"), but it grated on me that Kim's response of "The Quiet Place" was accepted for the film title "A Quiet Place."
yclept

Post by yclept »

I just don’t get it. 6-day champion who has won a bundle of money. You would think that the odds that you will get FJ while the champion misses FJ are rather small. Betting a combined $4K on two DDs in DJ essentially is conceding the game.

While I think that Jennifer can be better with pop culture type stuff, there is one pop culture category she is strong at: Movies.

Overall, an incredible run. Hopefully she can finish off the week. Getting above Larissa would be rather impressive, even if Larissa did it in six games.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

yclept wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:54 am Overall, an incredible run. Hopefully she can finish off the week. Getting above Larissa would be rather impressive, even if Larissa did it in six games.
To be fair, Larissa's total includes two games where she had a fairly narrow lead entering FJ, and two games where she was in a close second and left a combined total of $3 on the table with her FJ bets.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Count me as another Pearl Buck with a headslap upon reveal.
Charis
Contributor

Post by Charis »

If Jennifer wins today, I expect her to be rather well-dressed next week. Maybe that's just projection on my part, but I know if I had just won close to $200K and was going to be coming back to tape again, I would be walking into a high-end department store that has stylists on staff and handing them a credit card. I mean, why not?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

If this were an LL clue, I may have gotten it, but 30 seconds just wasn't enough time.

+1 Pearl Buck
1stlvlthinker

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

yclept wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:54 am I just don’t get it. 6-day champion who has won a bundle of money. You would think that the odds that you will get FJ while the champion misses FJ are rather small. Betting a combined $4K on two DDs in DJ essentially is conceding the game.
I can see betting the minimum if you absolutely hate the category, but betting $2K in each spot seems pretty bad. If you get it right, you're not really increasing your chances of winning, and if you miss the question, you're not really going to win. As played, DD3 has to be a huge bet IMO to give you a shot. DD2 needs to be bigger as well to give you a chance at maybe not needing to bet big on DD3.
Now swimming in the J! pool.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

ACW wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:57 pm Okay, what IS a "wine-tasting consultant"?
She explained this on an earlier episode. She's employed either by a winery or a distributor. She organizes wine tastings for groups where they get to try and, with luck, buy the wines she's offering.
Woof

Post by Woof »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:34 am Jennifer is an impressive player, but for some reason subtle. She just goes about her business and the next thing you know she's racked up $20k!
Typical Michigander, Kirk! :lol:
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Woof wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:22 pm
She explained this on an earlier episode. She's employed either by a winery or a distributor. She organizes wine tastings for groups where they get to try and, with luck, buy the wines she's offering.
Yeah, it might not seem like an obvious place for wineries, but there are surprising number of them in Southwest Michigan, where Jennifer lives.
Woof

Post by Woof »

Another fun game to watch. Jennifer is a very enjoyable champion and quite impressive. FJ was straightforward as I couldn't think of another anti-Communist female author with insight into Russia who was alive in the mid-20th C.
Woof

Post by Woof »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:31 pm
Woof wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:22 pm
Yeah, it might not seem like an obvious place for wineries, but there are surprising number of them in Southwest Michigan, where Jennifer lives.
Yeah, there's a cluster of wineries in the Niles area as well as some in the Fenn Valley. And of course, there's another cluster around Traverse City (Old Mission Peninsula and Leelanau).
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

I only know the very basics of Ayn Rand - Fountainhead, Atlas Shrugged, Objectivism, and Paul Ryan. I honestly couldn't have placed her country of origin, so, lesson learned: author bios are important. But, in fact, the idea that the FJ! clue was asking for "an important mid-century female Russian (and possibly American) author" went over my head - why would someone testifying about something related to McCarthyism have to be Russian herself, just because the name of the movie had "Russia" in it?

I first went with Eleanor Roosevelt, then crossed it off and put down Truman - couldn't come up with the first name Bess in time, but I figured I could rely on the "Onassis* rule". Neither were good guesses, frankly...but at least Roosevelt wrote.

*A clue was aiming for "Aristotle Onassis" and gave the name Jackie, and "Who is Onassis?" was accepted sans BMS.