Friday, December 13, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Hugo Z
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: Friday, December 13, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Hugo Z »

So if you'd been on Friday's episode and lost because someone's "McDonald's" response was ruled correct, would you make a stink?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

talkingaway wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:57 am
econgator wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:28 am
talkingaway wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:01 amNHO Bowman or Panini America
I hadn't heard of Panini America, but apparently they bought out Donruss, who I had heard of.
That's the other one! I could only come up with 3 baseball card companies (my collecting days would have been in the mid 80s) - Topps, Donruss, and what I thought was Fleet, but is actually Fleer.
Upper Deck would have been starting up around then, too.
jbreynolds
Contributor

Post by jbreynolds »

John Boy wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:19 pm
Were they looking for a franchise that DID AWAY with the (slow) carhops? Because I never knew McD to have them.
The McDonald brothers' restaurant had carhops before 1948.

https://www.referenceforbusiness.com/bu ... ation.html
Foretopman
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Foretopman »

Put me down as yet another who forgot the category and (very confidently :oops:) said "Kroc"
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

True North wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:59 pm Coryat: $33,000 (45R, 1W)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Morpheus, Ibiza

ALMOST said Kroc for FJ until I looked again at the category and realized that couldn’t be right.
Same. Did say Kroc initially, then realized they were looking for the founder/namesake and not the person who made it a household name. Counting it as correct since I had plenty of time to cross out the wrong answer and write in the correct one.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

AFRET CMS wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 5:51 pm
True North wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:59 pm Coryat: $33,000 (45R, 1W)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Morpheus, Ibiza

ALMOST said Kroc for FJ until I looked again at the category and realized that couldn’t be right.
Same. Did say Kroc initially, then realized they were looking for the founder/namesake and not the person who made it a household name. Counting it as correct since I had plenty of time to cross out the wrong answer and write in the correct one.
This sucker may be the biggest RTFC ever. I give the under at 70%, with 20% of that being Krocs.

Please, please, please make 3 simple viewer friendly changes to the on-screen broadcast:
1) Real time competitors game score
2) graphic display of the category at least for anagrams, and always would be preferable (hard to remember the full cat name, exclamation marks, cute spelings, etc..)
3) same as (2), but always for FJ. The contestants have it in front of them, why not the viewers?
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

econgator wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 12:33 pm
talkingaway wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:57 am
econgator wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:28 am
talkingaway wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:01 amNHO Bowman or Panini America
I hadn't heard of Panini America, but apparently they bought out Donruss, who I had heard of.
That's the other one! I could only come up with 3 baseball card companies (my collecting days would have been in the mid 80s) - Topps, Donruss, and what I thought was Fleet, but is actually Fleer.
Upper Deck would have been starting up around then, too.
I think the first UD set was 1989. Famously, card #1 in their first set was Ken Griffey Jr.'s rookie card.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

teapot37 wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 7:28 pm
I think the first UD set was 1989. Famously, card #1 in their first set was Ken Griffey Jr.'s rookie card.
True!

I have a sealed box of that set.
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:38 pm
Zot! Per Johnny Hart's B.C. comic, that's the sound an anteater makes when snicking an ant (or anything else) with its tongue. Jeanne is obviously not only a current resident of Irvine, she's a graduate or at least a fan of the UC school there.

Years ago I owned a UC Irvine T-shirt, with the anteater and the word "Zot!". I cracked up laughing when I saw that word on Jeanne's Final Jeopardy answer.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I don't think I've seen anyone yet duplicate my mom's wrong guess for this FJ! Roy W. Allen.
butler77
Contributor

Post by butler77 »

I really don't remember any of the McDonald's here in Southern California having carhops. There were plenty of places that did though.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

MitchO wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:30 pm...there isn't an apostrophe in the restaurant name anyway :p)
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Maybe he's thinking of Tim Hortons?
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

butler77 wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:02 pm I really don't remember any of the McDonald's here in Southern California having carhops. There were plenty of places that did though.
No McDonald's ever had carhops--that was the whole point, that their fast food model differed from the then-prevailing carhop model of drive-up restaurant service.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

twelvefootboy wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:37 pm 3) same as (2), but always for FJ. The contestants have it in front of them, why not the viewers?
Final Jeopardy is the only clue of the game where it does appear for the home viewer.
Spoiler for Dec. 12
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:07 pm I don't think I've seen anyone yet duplicate my mom's wrong guess for this FJ! Roy W. Allen.
Not a bad guess. A&W did flash in mind, but then I figured it meant someone who eliminated the carhops, not someone whose business model included carhops -- why complain about them instead of doing something?

Also, might need a shoehorn to make it fit the category -- I was unable to find anything that identified the original business as "Allen's Root Beer" or somesuch, and it would be an interesting judge's decision about whether to count contributing an initial as being a "namesake."

But it could certainly be counted as a plausible effort -- and something along those lines could be used to construct a good FJ in it's own wright.

(Sorry -- couldn't resist)
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:44 am
twelvefootboy wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:37 pm 3) same as (2), but always for FJ. The contestants have it in front of them, why not the viewers?
Final Jeopardy is the only clue of the game where it does appear for the home viewer.
Spoiler for Dec. 12
Thanks, OQ, I will amend my demands :roll: . I dunno whether to laugh or cry. Using advanced DVR technology, I can confirm that yes, indeed, the category is hidden in plain sight for 20 seconds as they zoom and pan. What we need is some technology that administers a dope slap halfway through if we've failed to process the category in our solution.

My excuse is that I usually overshoot the commercial break and then back up to the full screen reveal, but not far enough back to remind me of the category.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

As far as this Anteater is concerned, Opus properly explained the meaning of Zot! So now readers are in position to understand that UC Irvine students get quarterly ZOTBills for their tuition and other fees. Yes - they say ZOTBill right on them. And you can pay them online through your ZOT account. My collection of those bills has long ago been turned back into pulp, but their memory lingers on.

FJ!
The quote made me go immediately to the McDonald's restaurant chain. They were always about efficiency, so that was an easy pin for me. I initially figured Kroc would have said it. Then recalled the category and switched to the right response.
--Peter
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

heppm01 wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:04 am
talkingaway wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:01 amTopps baseball cards as a bottom row clue? Seemed to easy, but I didn't clam, and was rewarded. I was worried that the other two might be another sport, since I vaguely knew Topps made cards for other sports. Turns out the other two groups did/do, as well. NHO Bowman or Panini America, but apparently THEY make other sports-themed trading cards as well. Pretty sure any of the Big Four would technically work, but non-baseball would cause some minor panic amongst the judges (and possibly a score correction after a DD).
I went with "collectible trading card" and credited myself. I don't think it would be rejected outright and had I gotten a BMS I would have came back with "baseball card".
i went with sports trading cards

yeah saying one sport for the 3 would have to have been okay...all 3 produce(d) cards for all major north american sports
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

talkingaway wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:10 am
heppm01 wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:04 am
talkingaway wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:01 amTopps baseball cards as a bottom row clue? Seemed to easy, but I didn't clam, and was rewarded. I was worried that the other two might be another sport, since I vaguely knew Topps made cards for other sports. Turns out the other two groups did/do, as well. NHO Bowman or Panini America, but apparently THEY make other sports-themed trading cards as well. Pretty sure any of the Big Four would technically work, but non-baseball would cause some minor panic amongst the judges (and possibly a score correction after a DD).
I went with "collectible trading card" and credited myself. I don't think it would be rejected outright and had I gotten a BMS I would have came back with "baseball card".
But Pokemon and Magik are also "collectible trading cards", and I think (could be wrong) that those three companies are restricted to sports. Definitely would be worth a BMS if you said that, though. To pin the clue well, they needed one company that produced only baseball cards - don't know if there are any. Otherwise, "collectible sports cards" is probably the most accurate response, and that's not really a phrase that I've ever heard used.
his answer would have to be scored as being correct...bowman produced non sports cards in the 1940s...and the other 2 companies do as well...i think the generic "trading cards" would have to have been ruled correct as well