Monday, December 16, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

mas3cf
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Monday, December 16, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by mas3cf »

bunnyandthorton wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:31 am Is it just me, or are there WAY more female contestants this season compared to the historical average?
It's just you.

As a thought experiment, imagine you have a female superduperchamp who wins every game for the rest of all time. In each game, she gets a male and a female challenger.

Then, (infinitesimally over) 50% of all players will be female, but 67% of the lecterns will have women behind them.

If it seems to you like there are more women than normal, it's because women have won almost every episode in the past month. If they were only there as a result of some sort of discrimination, they wouldn't be dominating the gameplay like this.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:51 am
econgator wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:22 am
CasketRomance wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:41 pm the word "drama" threw me in the final jeopardy clue...never thought of the twilight zone as a drama
That.

And guitars didn't help either. Didn't have the slightest clue.
Why wouldn't you consider it a drama? To me it's one of the most dramatic TV series of all time.
It's certainly more drama than comedy, but if someone asked me to classify it, I would consider it more a sci-fi anthology.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Another very well-played game. Jennifer's buzzer mojo seemed off this game (either that, or she just came up against two other buzzer demons) and that allowed Kirby to find the DDs and get the lead going into FJ. My wife and I both went down the Bonanza rabbit hole as we both overlooked the TOM of "Strange." Bah!
MollyQMurphy
Silver Medalist

Post by MollyQMurphy »

AFRET CMS wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:52 pm
talkingaway wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:45 pm Did the word "anaphylactic" sound a bit mispronounced to anyone else? Like she was trying to say "anaphylaxis" at the same time, almost. It was clear she knew the answer, but it didn't sound quite right to my ear.
I'm sure Andy will mutter under his breath at me for second-guessing the judges, but Jennifer should have won the game -- Kirby went into FJ with $4000 too much and should not have been in the lead.

My wife and I (with a combined 70+ years in health care, she as an RN) played Kirby's answer about 14 times and clearly heard her say "anaphylaxic shock." There is anaphylaxis, an allergic reaction which can lead to anaphylactic shock, but there is no such word as "anaphylaxic" in the medical lexicon.

We were mildly surprised that her response did not receive an immediate "No, sorry" and very much surprised that there was no reversal later. It would be roughly akin to accepting "appendix-itis" as a response. I'm sure there are doctors and nurses and EMTs all over shaking their heads. To a medically attuned ear, it's much more egregious than "emanciptation."

Kirby showed herself to be a very worthy opponent, but in my opinion benefited from an unfortunate judging lapse.
I heard the same mistake and expected it to be ruled incorrect at some point, starting right when she said it. So I agree, it was very unfortunate judging. Obv Jennifer and Kirby were willing to bet big, so had positions been reversed with a correct score, Jennifer would still be the champion. Not dogging Kirby to say that, either. Just a fact.
Pending...
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

MollyQMurphy wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:26 pm
talkingaway wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:45 pm Did the word "anaphylactic" sound a bit mispronounced to anyone else? Like she was trying to say "anaphylaxis" at the same time, almost. It was clear she knew the answer, but it didn't sound quite right to my ear.
I'm sure Andy will mutter under his breath at me for second-guessing the judges, but Jennifer should have won the game -- Kirby went into FJ with $4000 too much and should not have been in the lead.

My wife and I (with a combined 70+ years in health care, she as an RN) played Kirby's answer about 14 times and clearly heard her say "anaphylaxic shock." There is anaphylaxis, an allergic reaction which can lead to anaphylactic shock, but there is no such word as "anaphylaxic" in the medical lexicon.

We were mildly surprised that her response did not receive an immediate "No, sorry" and very much surprised that there was no reversal later. It would be roughly akin to accepting "appendix-itis" as a response. I'm sure there are doctors and nurses and EMTs all over shaking their heads. To a medically attuned ear, it's much more egregious than "emanciptation."

Kirby showed herself to be a very worthy opponent, but in my opinion benefited from an unfortunate judging lapse.
I heard the same mistake and expected it to be ruled incorrect at some point, starting right when she said it. So I agree, it was very unfortunate judging. Obv Jennifer and Kirby were willing to bet big, so had positions been reversed with a correct score, Jennifer would still be the champion. Not dogging Kirby to say that, either. Just a fact.
Closed captioning said "anaphylaxis shock". Based on that (the fact that "anaphylaxis" is a thing, and the shock is a thing), it appears to me as though the judges used the "nothing incorrect was added, therefore the response was correct" tenet, even though the actual response seems incomprehensible to a subject matter expert. Based on the fact that closed captioning said that, I have to assume that the judges based this ruling on their belief that "anaphylaxis shock" was what was said by the player.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
davey

Post by davey »

econgator wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:40 am
This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:51 am
econgator wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:22 am
CasketRomance wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:41 pm the word "drama" threw me in the final jeopardy clue...never thought of the twilight zone as a drama
That.

And guitars didn't help either. Didn't have the slightest clue.
Why wouldn't you consider it a drama? To me it's one of the most dramatic TV series of all time.
It's certainly more drama than comedy, but if someone asked me to classify it, I would consider it more a sci-fi anthology.
Just as some of the episodes were comedy, some of them were supernatural horror, not sci-fi. We don't have to pick one, but drama encompasses the others and doesn't give it away as anthology would.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:35 pm Closed captioning said "anaphylaxis shock". Based on that (the fact that "anaphylaxis" is a thing, and the shock is a thing), it appears to me as though the judges used the "nothing incorrect was added, therefore the response was correct" tenet, even though the actual response seems incomprehensible to a subject matter expert. Based on the fact that closed captioning said that, I have to assume that the judges based this ruling on their belief that "anaphylaxis shock" was what was said by the player.
I think accepting her response is justifiable (per my previous post), but there's clearly a c before "shock" in her response.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

davey wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:00 pm
seaborgium wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:43 pm

I felt the same way, but it must be an obscure alternative adjectival form if they let it go. In googling for authoritative usages, I found a PDF of A Textbook of Clinical Pharmacology and Therapeutics, which apparently uses it. (I say "apparently" only because it shows up in the preview text and I can't text-search through PDFs on my phone.)
It's used once, in a discussion of anesthetics-
Intravenous induction agents
All have a rapid onset of action, with propofol gradually
replacing thiopental in the UK as the usual agent of choice.
• Propofol – rapid recovery, pain on injection, bradycardia
which may be avoided by use of an antimuscarinic agent,
rarely anaphylaxic and causing convulsions.

"Anaphylactic" is used 19 times in the same book...
It's a UK textbook, the edition is from 2008.

If I missed tonight's FJ I'd have to turn in my boomer membership card...
Considering the source, though, even that single use is enough to justify a judge's thumbs-up.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
nserven
At the Clam Shack

Post by nserven »

I use LEXIS-NEXIS for my work. A search for "anaphylaxic" brings up 118 hits with repeats, but mostly from news/wire articles. Here is one from UPI in which a pediatrician is quoted (note that he uses it as a noun as well, for a patient):
A shot of adrenalin, such as that contained in the Epi-pen or in an Ana-Kit, which are prescription items, helps combat the anaphylaxia, Dr. Erlich said, adding: ''Immediately after the emergency shot, ''the anaphylaxic must be taken to the closest emergency room. There, doctors will attempt to keep the blood pressure up - via intravenous fluids and/or oxygen - and inject adrenalin.''

A less severe reaction from the stings will cause only a local reaction such as itching, swelling, pain and redness. ''People who get stung and are not anaphylaxic should immediately apply an ice compress or cooling lotion to the area,'' Dr. Ehrlich said.
https://www.nytimes.com/1982/07/28/gard ... tings.html
davey

Post by davey »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:52 pm
davey wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:00 pm
seaborgium wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:43 pm

I felt the same way, but it must be an obscure alternative adjectival form if they let it go. In googling for authoritative usages, I found a PDF of A Textbook of Clinical Pharmacology and Therapeutics, which apparently uses it. (I say "apparently" only because it shows up in the preview text and I can't text-search through PDFs on my phone.)
It's used once, in a discussion of anesthetics-
Intravenous induction agents
All have a rapid onset of action, with propofol gradually
replacing thiopental in the UK as the usual agent of choice.
• Propofol – rapid recovery, pain on injection, bradycardia
which may be avoided by use of an antimuscarinic agent,
rarely anaphylaxic and causing convulsions.

"Anaphylactic" is used 19 times in the same book...
It's a UK textbook, the edition is from 2008.

If I missed tonight's FJ I'd have to turn in my boomer membership card...
Considering the source, though, even that single use is enough to justify a judge's thumbs-up.
I lean that way too...but it's quite possible that the single use is an error/typo.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

talkingaway wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:45 pm my incorrect guess of Bonanza
I briefly thought of Bonanza too (it has a prominent guitar part) but, realizing that it has way more than guitar, discounted it quickly.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

1stlvlthinker wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:24 pm
AFRET CMS wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:52 pm There is anaphylaxis, an allergic reaction which can lead to anaphylactic shock, but there is no such word as "anaphylaxic" in the medical lexicon.
Would "anaphylaxis" by itself have been accepted?
My hypothesis is that there were probably several acceptable responses listed for AT -- "anaphylaxis," "anaphylactic shock," and "anaphylaxis shock" (as entered by the archivists, probably based on the closed captioning, though that's not what I heard) all fit the clue well enough to be accepted.

Interesting (and appreciated) that the extensive research done by several board members did turn up a very rare use of "anaphylaxic" -- all of my searches in three engines got a "nothing found, did you mean....?" type of response at first try and I didn't dig deeper.

I did an informal survey of about a half-dozen medical personnel, and none had ever heard "anaphylaxic" used. One said, "There's also sepsis and septic shock, but if you ever see "septis" it's a typo." (Although after the discussion, I did find "septis" listed as a plural form of "septum" -- no relation to sepsis.)

After reading all of the responses, I must once again bow to the judges ... I think I still disagree with the original ruling, since the usages found are rare enough that they may be errors on the part of the original source authors. But there's enough justification for the judges' ruling.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
davey

Post by davey »

nserven wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:18 pm I use LEXIS-NEXIS for my work. A search for "anaphylaxic" brings up 118 hits with repeats, but mostly from news/wire articles. Here is one from UPI in which a pediatrician is quoted (note that he uses it as a noun as well, for a patient):
A shot of adrenalin, such as that contained in the Epi-pen or in an Ana-Kit, which are prescription items, helps combat the anaphylaxia, Dr. Erlich said, adding: ''Immediately after the emergency shot, ''the anaphylaxic must be taken to the closest emergency room. There, doctors will attempt to keep the blood pressure up - via intravenous fluids and/or oxygen - and inject adrenalin.''

A less severe reaction from the stings will cause only a local reaction such as itching, swelling, pain and redness. ''People who get stung and are not anaphylaxic should immediately apply an ice compress or cooling lotion to the area,'' Dr. Ehrlich said.
That's better evidence, but I note there are only about 30 results for anaphylaxic shock. There are tens of thousands for anaphylactic shock
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

davey wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:10 pm
nserven wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:18 pm I use LEXIS-NEXIS for my work. A search for "anaphylaxic" brings up 118 hits with repeats, but mostly from news/wire articles. Here is one from UPI in which a pediatrician is quoted (note that he uses it as a noun as well, for a patient):

That's better evidence, but I note there are only about 30 results for anaphylaxic shock. There are tens of thousands for anaphylactic shock
No one's arguing that "anaphylactic" isn't by far the more common word. The fact remains that people with expertise have used it in speech (assuming they weren't misquoted) and in writing.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

nserven wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:18 pm I use LEXIS-NEXIS for my work. A search for "anaphylaxic" brings up 118 hits with repeats, but mostly from news/wire articles. Here is one from UPI
Could you do a search on "Democrat Party"?

I had no hope at all because I said prophylactic shock and was too busy hitting myself to notice the mispronunciation.

1959 and guitars led me immediately to Bonanza, but I quickly realized that the Bonanza Theme was written by the songwriting team of Jay Livingston and Ray Evans. It was not based on any kind of classical piece written specifically for guitars. So I switched to Twilight Zone. That team won three Academy Awards for Buttons and Bows, Mona Lisa and whatever will be will be. It may be of interest that the Bonanza Theme originally had lyrics. They were aired only on the premiere telecast, after which some NBC honcho decided it was the dumbest lyrics ever written. For the next 14 TV season it was an instrumental.

I wonder if that Millennial group of contestants has ever heard of Bonanza, Lorne Greene, or Michael Landon. They probably don't even know about the Bonanza and Ponderosa chains of restaurants.
TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:13 pm
Any reason I should know Harlem is north of 110th Street? That seemed like overspecific knowledge for the top box.
Jeopardy's East Coast bias has locations of landmarks in New York City coming up frequently. It is worth knowing that Central Park runs from 59th Street to 110th Street and from 5th Avenue to 8th Avenue, which is also called Central Park West.

We chased lady luck till we finally struck - Bonanza
With a gun and a rope and a hatful of hope
We planted our family tree
We got ahold of a potful of gold - Bonanza
With a horse and a saddle and a rig full of cattle
How rich can a fella be?
On this land we put our brand
Cartwright is the name
Fortune smiled the day we filed
The Ponderosa claim
Here in the west we're livin' in the best - Bonanza
If anyone fights any one of us
He's gonna fight with me
Hoss and Joe and Adam know
Every rock and pine
No one works, fights, or eats
Like those boys of mine
Here we stand in the middle of a grand - Bonanza
With a gun and a rope and a hatful of hope
We planted our family tree
We got ahold of a potful of gold - Bonanza
With a houseful of friends where the rainbow ends
How rich can a fella be?
On this land we put our brand
Cartwright is the name
Fortune smiled the day we filed
The Ponderosa claim
Here in the west we're livin' in the best - Bonanza
With the friendliest, fightenist, lovingest band
That ever set foot in the promised land
And we're happier than them all
That's why we call it - Bonanza -
- Bonanza -
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Pure WAG on FJ. :o
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

Ironhorse wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:29 pm I thought the Twilight Zone was later so went with the Addams Family.
Only in the world of pinball machines did "Twilight Zone" come later than "The Addams Family." (The "Addams Family" pinball machine, 1992, was based on the movie -- but the "Twilight Zone" pinball machine, 1993, was based on the original show.)
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: 41,600
50 R/3 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :(
LT: Ludacris, Cuban cigars, Todd Lincoln

Another Bonanza here. I didn't focus enough on "strange," and I've never really thought of those notes in the The Twilight Zone theme coming from an electric guitar.
Sprinkles are for winners.