Wednesday, December 18, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Wednesday, December 18, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by CasketRomance »

saw trick or treat in the theatre...never knew gene simmons was in it...knew ozzy osbourne was in it...was the reason i went to see it...saw runaway and wanted dead or alive in the theatre because simmons was in it...how i never knew he was in trick or treat even after having seen it is beyond me
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

oh good...we got another one and doner
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:26 pm They're really burning through the Michigan contestants aren't they? Guess that means my time is coming...

Ran Baskin-Robbins and Peaceful Words, but 0/5 on IMDb, Sporting, and Bride & Prejudice.

Saw no way to make the math easier on that Marathon clue.

What was the TOM for Nancy Reagan on IMDb for $200? That whole category seemed YEKIOYD since the years didn't match up to the reign of the First Lady most of the time. $400 in particular seemed like monstrous negbait for Hillary Clinton and OF COURSE THAT'S WHAT I GUESSED.

Also bit on the "third wheel" negbait. WHY DO I ALWAYS GO FOR NEGBAIT EVERY SINGLE TIME?!?

I knew Wilson had some number of points, but I overshot by five.

Somehow I have never matched Ozzy Osbourne to Black Sabbath despite familiarity with both.

Rip Van Winkle = 20 years was new to me. That also seemed YEKIOYD.

Immediately swatted away "holly" because it's not a tree. Ended up with no guess.

Lach Trash: chocolate chip, Chuck Woolery, Lady Gaga

well known that nancy reagan *then davis) was an actress and that was the movie that she starred in with her future old man
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

teapot37 wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:42 pm Pre-empted for me, and we've just got a MASH rerun on their subchannel, so no show here tonight.
use the j-archive and read through the clues...that is what i just did due to the lame political crap that ran over rather than urging their viewers to go over to the news channel which it was also on
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

When they preempt locally ahead of time, it's usually rescheduled to run at about 2 am. Tonight, however, they cut to the news during the mid-show commercial.

We took a roll-call vote in our house, and decided that preempting Jeopardy in mid-show should be an impeachable offense.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

CasketRomance wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:21 pm well known that nancy reagan *then davis) was an actress and that was the movie that she starred in with her future old man
News to me.

I still don't see why I should've known that the next one down was Mrs. Trump either.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

talkingaway wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:04 pm No J! on WBZ in Boston here - I'm fine with the preemption on WBZ's main channel - let's face it, impeachment is historic, even if there's really nothing of substance or unpredictable that they're doing right at this moment. My bigger beef is that the sister station of WBZ, WBSK, is showing The Big Bang Theory. And 4.2, the substation of CBS (StartTV), is showing The Closer. In the late summer/early fall, WBZ regularly moves Big Brother to WSBK for 2 or 3 episodes to broadcast Patriots preseason games...why not do the same with J!?

I may just record WBZ from 1:30 to 4 AM - they often relegate J! there. Otherwise, I'll have to play on the Archive - which is a great resource (THANK YOU!), and much appreciated, even if pics/videos aren't always up.

All networks appear to be on their regular primetime shows except for NBC, which was rerunning an Ellen special all night. We'll see how long that lasts - if they go for a vote, I bet it gets covered.
i have to do that with days of our lives...we get the la nbc channel in addition to the new york channel...i record it on the la channel due to too many interruptions midday in new york...la channel doesn't see too many interruptions, but it didn't air this afternoon due to the political crap...but i know when they air it, so i just have to record the kelly clarkson show at 530am eastern time...i don't bother with jeopardy...they never throw it on at another time and with the j-archive, i can just read through the clues...no trebek that way which is actually a bonus
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:25 pm
CasketRomance wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:21 pm well known that nancy reagan *then davis) was an actress and that was the movie that she starred in with her future old man
News to me.

I still don't see why I should've known that the next one down was Mrs. Trump either.
old man trump was associated with beauty pageants...makes sense it would be her for that clue
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:10 am 50/50/0 for me on the FJ! clue as heads or tails my thoughts of pine vs. aspen (what I wrote) were both losers. Pine was my idea for something I thought was an evergreen and aspen was something I made a winter connection to via Aspen as a ski resort.
Thought of and rapidly eliminated holly, ivy, and mistletoe, mistakenly lumping holly in with the other "not trees." Eliminated Scotch pine after vaguely remembering from somewhere that it was an import and not native to Britain. Finally settled on yew, thinking "evergreen with red berries? Why not?"

Found out the why not after a dab of research -- yew is toxic, to the point where a mask is recommended for those exposed to sawdust while working with the wood, and therefore unsuitable as an indoor decoration.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
jeffwolfe
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jeffwolfe »

CasketRomance wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:27 pm
News to me.

old man trump was associated with beauty pageants...makes sense it would be her for that clue
Also, Melania Trump is a former fashion model, an obvious choice to judge a beauty pageant. Certainly more obvious than the other choices.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

jeffwolfe wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:16 pm
CasketRomance wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:27 pm
News to me.

Also, Melania Trump is a former fashion model, an obvious choice to judge a beauty pageant. Certainly more obvious than the other choices.
that, too
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

AFRET CMS wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:38 pm
Thought of and rapidly eliminated holly, ivy, and mistletoe, mistakenly lumping holly in with the other "not trees." Eliminated Scotch pine after vaguely remembering from somewhere that it was an import and not native to Britain. Finally settled on yew, thinking "evergreen with red berries? Why not?"

Found out the why not after a dab of research -- yew is toxic, to the point where a mask is recommended for those exposed to sawdust while working with the wood, and therefore unsuitable as an indoor decoration.
Twelvefootgirl said holly and I said Yew. We planted 20 hollies as a hedgerow in our back yard (actually a parterre to be fancy), so they are going to have some issues if they try to be trees. (Obviously it is a different cultivar that will remain as nasty prickly bushes. And we didn't get both sexes, so, no berries :roll: )

I picked Yew because I remember seeing one in Kensington Gardens but don't remember what was special about it.

That was a very fast transition from the event to use the Kipchoge fake marathon stunt in a clue! Now millions of viewers are dumber than they were because they think there is a sub-2 hour marathon record. At least they've seen the name Kipchoge and he gets some recognition for being awesome.

Our local station over-ran the talking heads and joined in progress after about 6 clues.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

That middle contestant was decidedly unserious for a law professor. I wish they would screen for people who aren't there to play the game and just want to make stupid Wagers to show off.

Bill Clinton was scheduled to be impeached 21 years ago today but he launched a surprise cruise missile attack in the Middle East and his impeachment was postponed until the 19th.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Those of you saying hollies are not trees should see the one in my neighbor's yard. It's about 30 feet tall.

I had holly down right away, but second-guessed myself with yew. Luckily I stuck with holly. This is a wheelhouse category for me, so glad I didn't flub it.

FYI, someone mentioned larches. Larches are especially notable because they are conifers, but they lose their needles in the winter, thus not evergreen. They are really beautiful in the fall when their needles turn golden. Check out this photo from a larch hike I took last year.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

I thought the Larch was a Dr. Seuss creature. I did think of Yew as English (longbow and all), but they'd more likely have used that on St. Crispin's Day.
I'm smart and I want respect.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Hugo Z wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:02 pm Seriously, they're pre-empting the show for this? WTF?
Yeah. I don't give a damn about it one way or the other, but I do care about missing J!.

Missed the clue. Figured it wasn't mistletoe, but couldn't get poinsettia out of my head.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

Played online - not likely to come on TV for me.

I assume they showed a picture of the building with a periodic table in the windows for the Mexican university that's a chemistry building? That's a 75/25 get for me - 50/50 that I buzz in first and flip the "chemistry/science" coin correctly, and 100% if I buzz in second and get it on the rebound.

Got the Henry VIII question because of a recent musical made called SIX - it was in previews, coming to Broadway in a few months, so definitely J! fodder for next season, as it hits two J! sweet spots (musicals and Henry VIII's wives). Basically, six wives on Henry VIII having a pity-party contest to see who had the worst life with Henry. It's a very short musical: basically, an intro chorus song, 3 songs form the first 3 wives, a middle song called "Haus of Holbein" where they show portraits of women as if it were Tinder, then 3 more wive songs, and then the finale where they realize that THEY made Henry VIII famous because he had so many wives, and not vice versa.

That middle song was the key in the J! question, since they hammered in the fact that wive 4 was not as beautiful as her picture.

Mistletoe for FJ!, no other thoughts came to mind for "winter foliage that's hung indoors".
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

55 R (Missed Houston Rockets(Unsurprisingly), Mariah Carey(AGAIN!!!), and Justin Timberlake.(Very rare that my misses are all familiar names.))
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Chocolate Chip, Chuck Woolery, Gruyere, Chile, (Fourteen Points), Lady Gaga, Buck, Quo Vadis, Special Air Service, (Voyager)

The fact that Gruyere was a stumper, proves that none of the contestants played my European Food quiz.
http://alpacafarmtrivia.herokuapp.com/quizzes/2028

The fact that Quo Vadis was a stumper, proves that none of the contestants played my Which Author II quiz.
http://alpacafarmtrivia.herokuapp.com/quizzes/3121

I do feel bad for Christine since not too many people got to see her J! episode as there seem to be a number of pre-emptions. :(
Douglas Squasoni
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

I'm wondering why they didn't BMS Rodolfo on science/chemistry?
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Hugo Z wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:13 pm And they wouldn't even throw us a "holiday song" bone in the clue. Somehow, I got stuck on "The Larch" and couldn't get off it.
Hallelujah and amen for a Monty Python fan (no matter if it was the right answer). Happy Holidays to you, sir!!