Wednesday, December 18, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Hugo Z
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: Wednesday, December 18, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Hugo Z »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:55 pm
Hugo Z wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:13 pm And they wouldn't even throw us a "holiday song" bone in the clue. Somehow, I got stuck on "The Larch" and couldn't get off it.
Not sure if I would have come up it in September, when they likely taped this, but the English Yuletide song "The Holly and The Ivy" gave me an educated guess.
I was thinking of "Deck the Halls," but I don't know if I would've remembered it in time.
CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by CasketRomance »

lstone19 wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:47 am WLS-TV in Chicago normally shows a year-old rerun at 2:05am but will show the previous day's current show there if it was pre-empted. But yesterday, they pre-empted the new show and showed the year-old one at 2:05am. So no idea what they did with the 12/18 show. They pre-empt so often for trivial news (not that yesterday was trivial but frequently they pre-empt to report that something that was expected to happen did happen as scheduled which IMHO is not something that requires a pre-emption) that I really wish they'd give up the rights to a station that actually will commit to running it.
our affiliate shows a year old one during the day...why do they go the 1 year ago route? i don't get the point...why not go back many years as then it wouldn't be all that recent in one's mind?
jbreynolds
Contributor

Post by jbreynolds »

lstone19 wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 1:01 pm Where on their website did you find that? I had the page where they post those notes bookmarked but they don't seem to put them there anymore.

What time did they show it on it? 3:30? Or some other time. I try to have my TiVo set to record all the times they might show it.
It was in the red "Breaking News" bar at the top of their home page. It didn't specify when it aired so I assume it was at the regular time.

I saw it far too late to act upon the information. I now have 7-2 set to record every weekday at 3:30.

The program note is here now: https://abc7chicago.com/entertainment/p ... t/4721365/
lstone19
Valued Contributor

Post by lstone19 »

jbreynolds wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:25 pm It was in the red "Breaking News" bar at the top of their home page. It didn't specify when it aired so I assume it was at the regular time.

I saw it far too late to act upon the information. I now have 7-2 set to record every weekday at 3:30.
Thanks. Going to do the same.
davey

Post by davey »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:48 am
brick wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:46 pm Or if someone wants to IM me a link.
Not the full episode, but a snippet of it. Baskin Robbins category.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GU45oP6_YLU
At least now I know Rodolfo comes down on the sherbert side of the debate...
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4366&p=261804&hilit ... rt#p261733
davey

Post by davey »

floridagator wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:21 pm That middle contestant was decidedly unserious for a law professor. I wish they would screen for people who aren't there to play the game and just want to make stupid Wagers to show off.
I'm not a fan of her wagers either - luckily the show was preempted so I didn't have to watch them - but now that I've seen the interviews, anybody that wins the New Yorker cartoon caption contest twice has my respect for her unseriousness... :D

There's a not-so famous Dickens Christmas story (and not-so-festive since it includes a tale of gruesome murder within the narrative) called The Holly-Tree Inn. I think that's why the correct FJ came pretty quickly to mind for me...
Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Hugo Z wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:20 pm
Spaceman Spiff wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:55 pm
Hugo Z wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:13 pm And they wouldn't even throw us a "holiday song" bone in the clue. Somehow, I got stuck on "The Larch" and couldn't get off it.
Not sure if I would have come up it in September, when they likely taped this, but the English Yuletide song "The Holly and The Ivy" gave me an educated guess.
I was thinking of "Deck the Halls," but I don't know if I would've remembered it in time.
"The holly and the ivy, when they are both full grown / of all the trees that are in the wood, the holly bears the crown..."
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: 38,000
47 R/3 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: chocolate chip, Chuck Woolery, Chile, Fourteen Points (DD), Quo Vadis, Voyager 2 (DD)

Getting cutesy with the DD wagers is fine when you're beating your opponents so badly that the money doesn't matter, but Christine let it get in the way of her actual gameplay. It didn't end up mattering since she came out nearly even ($-822) and went into FJ! with the lead, but it is not an advisable strategy. Your loved ones know you love them. Just play the game.

I figured the correct response to this slyly Christmas-themed FJ! had to be either holly or mistletoe. Mistletoe is a parasite, so holly it was.

I bit hard on three pieces of negbait--Hillary for the Miss Universe appearance (based on the date), third wheel, and Catholic rather than Protestant--but I was proud of my gets of Bernardo O'Higgins --> Chile and Quo Vadis.
Sprinkles are for winners.