Wednesday, December 18, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, December 18, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, December 18, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
PLANTS & TREES

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
One of Britain’s few native evergreen trees, it’s prized for bringing color to winter, & its foliage is often hung in homes

Rodolfo Yuichiro Bedoy: 11200-11199=1
Christine Hurt: 14178-8223=5955
Dave Algase: 5200+3018=8218 (New Champ)

Correct response:
Spoiler
holly (Rodolfo – mistletoe) (Christine – fir) (Dave- mist holly)

Daily Doubles
Christine: 6600+920
Christine: 9120-1118
Christine: 9202-624

Coryats
Rodolfo: 11200
Christine: 15600
Dave: 5200

Combined: 32,000

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Rodolfo: 1600
Christine: 7520
Dave: 2000
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Part of Alex's opening remarks were about how categories affect the play of the game and he said, "On yesterday's program Kirby, our reigning champion, didn't do very well." Ouch! Alex was using her as an example of accumulating a lot of money one day and not so much the next day.

Christine bet 920, 1118, 624 and 8223 in four wagering opportunities. She went 1/4 on big clues and that is a tough way to win. Dave was lucky to escape from third place thanks to his sole solve.

50/50/0 for me on the FJ! clue as heads or tails my thoughts of pine vs. aspen (what I wrote) were both losers. Pine was my idea for something I thought was an evergreen and aspen was something I made a winter connection to via Aspen as a ski resort. I'm glad that clue was not one I faced on stage as the correct response would be haunting since the neighbors on one side have a huge flourishing on and the previous owners on the other side had one for many years. The other haunting aspect would be yearly hearing Burl Ives sing on the Rudolph special.

Miss or get I don't consider that FJ! clue fun or interesting.

For silly streaks tracking: Sathvik from 11/19 is the last male to win from a leading position entering the FJ! round.
Hugo Z
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Hugo Z »

And they wouldn't even throw us a "holiday song" bone in the clue. Somehow, I got stuck on "The Larch" and couldn't get off it.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Mistletoe for me, even though I knew it isn't a tree, I had nothing better in 30 seconds. That's what I get for avoiding Christmas music like the plague....
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

As I've mentioned previously I do not usually look at the full weekly slate of contestants and instead take it a day at a time. Getting my notebook ready for tomorrow's game I saw the occupation of one of the challengers and burst out laughing. That's how you get on the show and make yourself stand out at the audition. And no, not the bartender. One board member is going to be very happy and have an instant rooting interest.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

Hugo Z wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:13 pm And they wouldn't even throw us a "holiday song" bone in the clue. Somehow, I got stuck on "The Larch" and couldn't get off it.
https://youtu.be/mBcTXBhYzfM
Hugo Z
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Hugo Z »

squarekara wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:36 pm
Hugo Z wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:13 pm And they wouldn't even throw us a "holiday song" bone in the clue. Somehow, I got stuck on "The Larch" and couldn't get off it.
https://youtu.be/mBcTXBhYzfM
There ya go.
Hugo Z
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Hugo Z »

Seriously, they're pre-empting the show for this? WTF?
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

Isn't holly more often seen just outside the home? Still, I thought it was a fun clue, if not particularly well-pinned. I guess they'd have had to accept Scots Pine.

Curious what is the preemptor. Some impeachment thing?
I'm smart and I want respect.
jpr281
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jpr281 »

WABC is showing the impeachment proceedings so Jeopardy has been relegated to the Livewell subchannel
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

They're really burning through the Michigan contestants aren't they? Guess that means my time is coming...

Ran Baskin-Robbins and Peaceful Words, but 0/5 on IMDb, Sporting, and Bride & Prejudice.

Saw no way to make the math easier on that Marathon clue.

What was the TOM for Nancy Reagan on IMDb for $200? That whole category seemed YEKIOYD since the years didn't match up to the reign of the First Lady most of the time. $400 in particular seemed like monstrous negbait for Hillary Clinton and OF COURSE THAT'S WHAT I GUESSED.

Also bit on the "third wheel" negbait. WHY DO I ALWAYS GO FOR NEGBAIT EVERY SINGLE TIME?!?

I knew Wilson had some number of points, but I overshot by five.

Somehow I have never matched Ozzy Osbourne to Black Sabbath despite familiarity with both.

Rip Van Winkle = 20 years was new to me. That also seemed YEKIOYD.

Immediately swatted away "holly" because it's not a tree. Ended up with no guess.

Lach Trash: chocolate chip, Chuck Woolery, Lady Gaga
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

Pre-empted for me, and we've just got a MASH rerun on their subchannel, so no show here tonight.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
brick

Post by brick »

If anyone knows of a later air time for this show in New York City please let me know. Or if someone wants to IM me a link.
True North
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by True North »

Coryat: $35,800 (46R, 1W)
DD: 2/3
FJ: :(
LT: chocolate chip, Chuck Woolery, Voyager (DD)

Easy first round (27/30), tough second round. A number of clues where I knew the answer but couldn’t pull it out. I got led astray on FJ, focused on the British part of the clue and thought Scotch pine was likely to be right.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

No J! on WBZ in Boston here - I'm fine with the preemption on WBZ's main channel - let's face it, impeachment is historic, even if there's really nothing of substance or unpredictable that they're doing right at this moment. My bigger beef is that the sister station of WBZ, WBSK, is showing The Big Bang Theory. And 4.2, the substation of CBS (StartTV), is showing The Closer. In the late summer/early fall, WBZ regularly moves Big Brother to WSBK for 2 or 3 episodes to broadcast Patriots preseason games...why not do the same with J!?

I may just record WBZ from 1:30 to 4 AM - they often relegate J! there. Otherwise, I'll have to play on the Archive - which is a great resource (THANK YOU!), and much appreciated, even if pics/videos aren't always up.

All networks appear to be on their regular primetime shows except for NBC, which was rerunning an Ellen special all night. We'll see how long that lasts - if they go for a vote, I bet it gets covered.
brick

Post by brick »

talkingaway wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:04 pm, I'll have to play on the Archive - which is a great resource (THANK YOU!), and much appreciated, even if pics/videos aren't always up.

Agreed! Always much appreciated.
silverpie
Contributor

Post by silverpie »

Here, WTVC stayed with most of J!, but interrupted during the space Daily Double to jump to the impeachment vote. :evil: Two days ago, we lost the DJ round to severe-weather coverage, but they did come back for Final—not this time....

Playing FJ from here, had no clue (always seen holly in the form of bushes, not trees).
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

did we get another one and doner? couldn't watch because of the dumb political crap that carried over...wtf is with the suits today? thought they only worked 9-5?