Thursday, December 19, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, December 19, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, December 19, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
SCIENCE & INNOVATION

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In her 20+ years working for this company, Audrey Sherman of Saint Paul has been granted more than 130 patents

Dave Algase: 6000+3000=9000
Peggah Ghoreishi: 1100-317=787
Eric Smith: 21000-4000=17000 (New Champ)

Correct response:
Spoiler
3M (Peggah - Mayo Clinic) (Eric - Dupont)

Daily Doubles
Peggah: 2200+1300
Eric: 18600-3000
Eric: 18000+3000

Coryats
Dave: 6000
Peggah: 800
Eric: 22200

Combined: 29,000

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Dave: minus 400
Peggah: 3500
Eric: 5000
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Two clues left in the J! round, the TV one and the Canine one. Peggah switched out of TV to go to Canine. Yes, it's reasonable since that had the higher value, but still doesn't mean I have to like it. I enjoyed seeing her neg that $1000 clue that closed the round as justice served.

Eric easily ran away from his opponents today for a nice opening win. 1/3 on big clues does not cut it for a long run unless he's exceptional on the buzzer.

Second sole solve in the FJ! round for Dave on his way out. Peggah at least had the right state while Eric was way off.

My pen was working faster than mind as I instantly did the Saint Paul to MN company connection but scribbled "MMM" before making it alphanumeric. Oops. Always pleasant to have a quick solve and it being easy to write.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:04 am My pen was working faster than mind as I instantly did the Saint Paul to MN company connection but scribbled "MMM" before making it alphanumeric. Oops. Always pleasant to have a quick solve and it being easy to write.
Instaget, for a number of reasons.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

The main company I associate with Minnesota is Target but obviously that's not a tech company...
lstone19
Valued Contributor

Post by lstone19 »

Instaget knowing that 3M (as Alex partially said) was originally Minnesota Mining and Manufacturing. As for Mark starting to write MMM, that is the stock symbol so easy to see why it would come to mind.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Instaget. Mayo Clinic was at least a plausible guess, but c'mon, Dupont? :lol:
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Ran About (Type)face and Canine Conversation.

So knowing the flags of Greece, Honduras, and/or Israel is $200 material? That whole category seemed way too tough and I went 0/5 in it.

I seem to be eternally cursed never to run Stupid Answers, because I WAGged "ranks" and not "periods" on $1,000.

Basketball has "centers"? That whole category was miles over my head.

Primates and apes seem to be a blind spot in my animal knowledge, as orangutan was my only miss in that category.

Innovative Minnesota company? I'll try 3M.

Lach Trash: Scientific American, killer whale. Also got the "marsupial" DD.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:04 am Two clues left in the J! round, the TV one and the Canine one. Peggah switched out of TV to go to Canine. Yes, it's reasonable since that had the higher value, but still doesn't mean I have to like it. I enjoyed seeing her neg that $1000 clue that closed the round as justice served.

Eric easily ran away from his opponents today for a nice opening win. 1/3 on big clues does not cut it for a long run unless he's exceptional on the buzzer.

Second sole solve in the FJ! round for Dave on his way out. Peggah at least had the right state while Eric was way off.

My pen was working faster than mind as I instantly did the Saint Paul to MN company connection but scribbled "MMM" before making it alphanumeric. Oops. Always pleasant to have a quick solve and it being easy to write.
i liked seeing the neg too..but trebek's needless yabbering prevented the last clue from being revealed
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

Ironhorse wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 1:50 pm The main company I associate with Minnesota is Target but obviously that's not a tech company...
i came up with best buy, target, mayo clinic and spam (hormel) and knew none of them would be correct...never knew what 3m stood for...knowing that would lead to an instaget
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:20 pm Ran About (Type)face and Canine Conversation.

So knowing the flags of Greece, Honduras, and/or Israel is $200 material? That whole category seemed way too tough and I went 0/5 in it.

I seem to be eternally cursed never to run Stupid Answers, because I WAGged "ranks" and not "periods" on $1,000.

Basketball has "centers"? That whole category was miles over my head.

Primates and apes seem to be a blind spot in my animal knowledge, as orangutan was my only miss in that category.

Innovative Minnesota company? I'll try 3M.

Lach Trash: Scientific American, killer whale. Also got the "marsupial" DD.
so you knew guards existed in basketball, but not centers?

the honduras flag not that widely recognizable, but israel's flag is always shoved down our throats on social media and the greek flag is pretty well known as well
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

CasketRomance wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:36 pmso you knew guards existed in basketball, but not centers?
I didn't know the names of any positions in basketball.
CasketRomance wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:36 pm the honduras flag not that widely recognizable, but israel's flag is always shoved down our throats on social media and the greek flag is pretty well known as well
I had a vague mental image of the Israel flag, but not clearly enough to remember what colors are on it. Greek's flag doesn't look remotely familiar to me.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

TIL Keystone XL and Dakota Access are entirely different pipelines.

Only got pitcher in the HOF category (though goalie and center would've been a DD gets). Of all the sports they had to double up on...
That said, an awesome twist for the top row would've been, say, "Wilt Chamberlain, Wayne Gretzky"
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

Anyone else get hit in the feels when Alex read "I'm Dyin' Up Here!"?

Thanks for not making us ask, MNMyron.

ETA: Poll request for the Mammal Facts $1600 DD about marsupials. NHO a numbat till tonight.
Last edited by reddpen on Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
In and out of the pool four times
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

Got the 3M clue pretty quickly with "St. Paul", but wrote MMM to be a little cheeky, because I actually do own a little of the stock. (Don't buy it. It's done pretty poorly.) What's the spelling rule here? On the show, I might have gone for 3M, but honestly, I could picture the thing of Scotch tape having either "3M" or "MMM" on it. I also happened to know that it meant Minnesota Mining and something company - probably would have come up with Manufacturing if I'd needed it, but the Minnesota part was enough.

Poor Audrey - her FJ! wager even had the digit "3" in it - twice! As far as DuPont, I literally just saw "Dark Waters". Some good J! material: based on a NYT article, about PFOAs (fluorine-containing carbon compounds), also known as C8, contaminating water in West Virginia in the manufacture of Teflon. Not in the movie, but 3M sold the PFOAs to DuPont.

I always fail to remember that Netherlands and Dutch are the same thing - at least, in a timely manner. If the clue had mentioned "Dutch and French ____, the Caribbean island", I would have easily hit St. Martin/Sint Marteen.

Precalled "Trail of Tears" for the American Indian category after one clue. Surprised it was bottom row.

Judges: "Writer" for "screenwriter" in the F. Scott Fitzgerald / MGM clue? BMS? If I respond with "movie writer" after a BMS? I mean, in a sense, it's almost trivializing the clue to say just "writer", or even "movie writer" if they were looking for a formal name for someone who writers for movies. But, in another sense, it IS a trivia show, so....
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

What, no fun with the penguinologist yet? I'm anxious to hear the repartee :lol: .

Easy get for 3M, but there were more WECIB's than I thought about until seeing these replies. This clue seemed like a stretch for the writers to find a clue that didn't involve the Post-It notes story.

I've subscribed to Scientific American over 40 years and it was a trip (in 1995) when they expanded the monthly lookback features from "50 years ago" and "100 years ago" to add "150 years ago". The ancient articles had lots of horses and medieval looking inventions. It's incredible that they have such longevity and continuity and sad they will probably be gone within a decade.

Alex's cold was almost undetectable today. The new champ is fun to watch play.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:04 am Two clues left in the J! round, the TV one and the Canine one. Peggah switched out of TV to go to Canine. Yes, it's reasonable since that had the higher value, but still doesn't mean I have to like it. I enjoyed seeing her neg that $1000 clue that closed the round as justice served.

Mega dittos, Dude. When that category came up I pre called The West Wing but we'll never know if that was the missing clue.

3M was an instaget. An ex-girlfriend of mine was a chemist there and was on the team that developed Scotch-Brite. But how many of you trivia Buffs remember when they were in the board game business?
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

reddpen wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:44 pm Anyone else get hit in the feels when Alex read "I'm Dyin' Up Here!"?
Yes.

And I also can't tell you how much I hate the phrase, "In the feels". It's right up there with, "X happened and we just can't". :)
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

floridagator wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:38 am 3M was an instaget. An ex-girlfriend of mine was a chemist there and was on the team that developed Scotch-Brite. But how many of you trivia Buffs remember when they were in the board game business?
I still have my copy of Thinking Man's Golf, which is a 3M product, I believe.