Friday, December 20, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

jev15
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: Friday, December 20, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by jev15 »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:33 pm I was 4/5 in four categories in J! round today.

Got all but the top box in both Santa Claus (completely drew a blank on Amsterdam) and Take my Rhyme (got disoriented and tried to rhyme with "rhyme" and not "take").

Conversely, all but the bottom box in both Stamp News and Stuff.

I found First Name Basis tough. NHO 3 of those shows.

Marshall Plan was miles over my head. Any reason I should know that guy was a Secretary of State?

Once again I struggle in DJ!, with only 8R 2W.

Deeper into the... heart... Heart of Darkness? I'll take it.

Lach Trash: Rhoda, Rachmaninoff
If you're looking for a way to connect the clue to a cabinet department, the Secretary of State is most closely associated with foreign policy. If you're looking for someone to tell you that it's fine that you don't know who George Marshall is, you're in the wrong place. Marshall is a crucial figure in 20th Century American history and a winner of the Nobel Peace Prize.
CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by CasketRomance »

jev15 wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:19 am
TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:33 pm I was 4/5 in four categories in J! round today.

Got all but the top box in both Santa Claus (completely drew a blank on Amsterdam) and Take my Rhyme (got disoriented and tried to rhyme with "rhyme" and not "take").

Conversely, all but the bottom box in both Stamp News and Stuff.

I found First Name Basis tough. NHO 3 of those shows.

Marshall Plan was miles over my head. Any reason I should know that guy was a Secretary of State?

Once again I struggle in DJ!, with only 8R 2W.

Deeper into the... heart... Heart of Darkness? I'll take it.

Lach Trash: Rhoda, Rachmaninoff
If you're looking for a way to connect the clue to a cabinet department, the Secretary of State is most closely associated with foreign policy. If you're looking for someone to tell you that it's fine that you don't know who George Marshall is, you're in the wrong place. Marshall is a crucial figure in 20th Century American history and a winner of the Nobel Peace Prize.
about the only things i know about that dude...secretary of state, won a nobel prize, and had some plan
mjhunt
Valued Contributor

Post by mjhunt »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:05 am Alex matched Eric with a Wildcats greeting: Image

First Box DD just to keep hunters on their toes.

DD3 was in the last box.

Eric led 19000 to 12400 to 8400.

He did -5500 while plus would have been 24500 and still no lock. Math under pressure does not always go well.

The FJ! clue had me match Claire for the proper title while Eric and Lucy had the extra leading article that does not matter. 1902 + "riverboat" = done as I was writing even before Alex read "deeper" into the clue.

Alex's post music remark had me scratching my head: "I have a feeling that for this final today the wagers are going to be most important in determining the winner."

Leader made sure he covered 2nd doubling up (plus a little extra added). Big deal. It's been done before. If Eric had bet 3300 to get to 16800 on the nose and Claire won with 16801 then the comment fits.

Another 3-piece ensemble for Eric who could have got the call after audition just for being memorable (if he did indeed have something like that on) wearing something beyond the typical contestant outfit. Whatever it takes to stand out within reason.
Yes exactly. Eric should have either bet $5-$399 to protect his crush or $5,801-$6,599 to go for a lock while keeping the lead if he missed.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

Eric certainly took a long time to get his mojo going in this game. He was lucky to pull out of DJ with the lead, being such an easy Final clue was served up.

The pre-FJ scores made for an interesting but definitive wagering scenario for each player. I was hoping to see Lucy resist the temptation to bet any more than $399 but I was disappointed. Her $3000 wager had to be a generic offering, as it didn't have any strategic benefits up or down.
Thankfully, it didn't end up costing her anything, because of the triple get.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

CasketRomance wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:41 am
about the only things i know about that dude...secretary of state, won a nobel prize, and had some plan
A Man A Plan A Canal -- Marshall!

An herbicide is a form of pesticide, so Claire should not have been ruled wrong.

I will call hubris on Eric making that Daily Double. Getting it right would not have put the game away for him, but getting it wrong nearly made the game a free-for-all. I was calling Advantage Claire when I saw the category, and she surely would have won if it hadn't been such an easy question.
Last edited by floridagator on Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
goongas

Post by goongas »

Their AirTrain clue was technically incorrect, you can't take an AirTrain directly from Penn Station. You can take an AirTrain from the Newark Airport stop to get to the terminals.
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

"Heart Of Darkness" cost me a perfect FJ! week. I know absolutely zero about the book, not publish date, nor whether it had a riverboat in it. Nada.

I hit on Mark Twain in my head, but that line didn't sound anything like Twain would do... African Queen, that's a boat on a river... Nahh.. Time's up.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

goongas wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:58 am Their AirTrain clue was technically incorrect, you can't take an AirTrain directly from Penn Station. You can take an AirTrain from the Newark Airport stop to get to the terminals.
Hey, you beat the guy with the train avatar to this one.

The cars being divided into many small compartments is very annoying to me. Seems like I always wind up in one that's overcrowded.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

floridagator wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:46 am I will call hubris on Eric making that Daily Double. Getting it right would not have put the game away for him, but getting it wrong nearly made the game a free-for-all.
So now it's hubris not to bet enough?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

seaborgium wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:02 am
floridagator wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:46 am I will call hubris on Eric making that Daily Double. Getting it right would not have put the game away for him, but getting it wrong nearly made the game a free-for-all.
Hubris could literally be anything.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

econgator wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:59 am
seaborgium wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:02 am
Hubris could literally be anything.
Thanks, TenPoundGator.

Edit: on second thought, let's say FloridaHammer instead.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

mjhunt wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:43 am
MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:05 am Alex matched Eric with a Wildcats greeting: Image

DD3 was in the last box.

He did -5500 while plus would have been 24500 and still no lock. Math under pressure does not always go well.

The FJ! clue had me match Claire for the proper title while Eric and Lucy had the extra leading article that does not matter. 1902 + "riverboat" = done as I was writing even before Alex read "deeper" into the clue.

Alex's post music remark had me scratching my head: "I have a feeling that for this final today the wagers are going to be most important in determining the winner."

Leader made sure he covered 2nd doubling up (plus a little extra added). Big deal. It's been done before. If Eric had bet 3300 to get to 16800 on the nose and Claire won with 16801 then the comment fits.

Another 3-piece ensemble for Eric who could have got the call after audition just for being memorable (if he did indeed have something like that on) wearing something beyond the typical contestant outfit. Whatever it takes to stand out within reason.
Yes exactly. Eric should have either bet $5-$399 to protect his crush or $5,801-$6,599 to go for a lock while keeping the lead if he missed.
why? so he could be 1 dollar ahead of the 3rd place contestant in the event they get final jeopardy correct? so you are saying he should then bet 0 in final jeopardy leaving himself exploitable by the 2nd place contestant? i do agree with the latter wagering range...that is the only range he should have ever considered
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

floridagator wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:46 am

An herbicide is a form of pesticide, so Claire should not have been ruled wrong.

I will call hubris on Eric making that Daily Double. Getting it right would not have put the game away for him, but getting it wrong nearly made the game a free-for-all. I was calling Advantage Claire when I saw the category, and she surely would have won if it hadn't been such an easy question.
why is it hubris? it was just crappy math on his part
mjhunt
Valued Contributor

Post by mjhunt »

CasketRomance wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:52 am

DD3 was in the last box.

why? so he could be 1 dollar ahead of the 3rd place contestant in the event they get final jeopardy correct? so you are saying he should then bet 0 in final jeopardy leaving himself exploitable by the 2nd place contestant? i do agree with the latter wagering range...that is the only range he should have ever considered
CasketRomance wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:52 am

DD3 was in the last box.

Claire had $12,400 and 1.5 times that is $18,600, so he needed at least $18,601 to have a crush and guarantee a win on a triple stumper with proper wagering.
goongas

Post by goongas »

trainman wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 3:19 am
goongas wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:58 am Their AirTrain clue was technically incorrect, you can't take an AirTrain directly from Penn Station. You can take an AirTrain from the Newark Airport stop to get to the terminals.
Hey, you beat the guy with the train avatar to this one.

The cars being divided into many small compartments is very annoying to me. Seems like I always wind up in one that's overcrowded.
Yeah, I like the AirTran at JFK airport better. They are replacing the AirTran at Newark, maybe they will design the train better.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

CasketRomance wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:53 am

The hubris was that he made the game wide open.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

floridagator wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:11 pm

Then I repeat that you don't understand what hubris is. Just call it a bad wager (or even better, a wager that you don't like, since you'll always be accurate in that case) and no one will bother you.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

seaborgium wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:32 pm
floridagator wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:11 pm

Then I repeat that you don't understand what hubris is. Just call it a bad wager (or even better, a wager that you don't like, since you'll always be accurate in that case) and no one will bother you.
i agree
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

mjhunt wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:21 pm Claire had $12,400 and 1.5 times that is $18,600, so he needed at least $18,601 to have a crush and guarantee a win on a triple stumper with proper wagering.
Third place was still a key factor, though; assuming Claire would cover Lucy, Eric didn't quite need to have more than 1.5 times Claire's score to be assured of winning on a TS. He needed to satisfy two factors for that:

- lead by a greater margin over Claire than Claire's margin over Lucy (so if they each cover the person behind and miss, he is left with a higher total)
- lead Claire by more than half Lucy's total (so he finishes above Lucy's total if he covers Claire and misses, forcing Lucy to get FJ right to win)

Claire led Lucy by $4,000, and half of Lucy's total was $4,200; so Eric could afford to go almost as low as $16,600, so if he wagered $2,399 he'd be set. (Plus, if he'd wagered more than $1,800 and got the DD right, he'd have led Claire by more than Lucy's score, neutralizing Lucy's threat to him in FJ.)
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

56 R (Missed four clues in a certain category that I probably don't even need to mention.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Light Heavyweight, Liquified Petroleum Gas, Mediterranean Fruit Fly, Sergei Rachmaninoff, (Antonin Dvorak)
Douglas Squasoni