Friday, December 20, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Re: Friday, December 20, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

cf1140 wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:03 pm I said Smetana because in my head I had remembered that Czech Composer 1890 or later is Dvorak, and 1870s is Smetana.

and I was pissed when I was wrong
Normally the years help, but sometimes the years could lead you astray. Slavonic Dances is one of Dvorak's best known works. A bit surprised that Slavonic Dances wasn't mentioned in the Pavlov thread.
Douglas Squasoni
CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by CasketRomance »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:21 pm
cf1140 wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:03 pm I said Smetana because in my head I had remembered that Czech Composer 1890 or later is Dvorak, and 1870s is Smetana.

and I was pissed when I was wrong
Normally the years help, but sometimes the years could lead you astray. Slavonic Dances is one of Dvorak's best known works. A bit surprised that Slavonic Dances wasn't mentioned in the Pavlov thread.
why don't you add to it, dude?
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

Quick question: How are people not freaking out a little more about a DD in the top row? I mean, that's fairly rare, right? Looks like one per season for the last 2-3 years or so, so I guess we've met the quota, right? I always assumed a DD in the top row meant some kind of abnormality - either they had to insert a sixth clue because of a clue being revealed accidentally, or clues switched rows at the last minute, or something like that.

I pounced a little too quickly on "Hugo" and blurted out "Les Miserables", before getting to the year of 1482.

I wonder if you had to put the "What is" before "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?" I mean, it's already in the form of a question....

The oxymoron clue on "light heavyweight" made me want to yell out to the contestants, "Stop hitting yourself! Stop hitting yourself!!" No way I would have gotten it - I can understand the first contestant being a little overactive on the buzzer, but for rebounding and re-rebounding contestants, you've got a little more time to mull over the CATEGORY. One word is likely either "heavyweight" or "lightweight", and since "weight" doesn't seem to have a useful opposite here, it's either an opposite of "light" with "lightweight", or an opposite of "heavy" with "heavyweight". From there, I'd just clam, since I didn't know "light heavyweight" was a thing.

"Heart of Darkness" was an instaget for me, not because of the year or the riverboat, but just because it seemed to dovetail with the quote so well. The riverboat absolutely clinched it for me, and the year...well, it seemed right, but if you'd put the wrong year within, say, 15 years, I wouldn't have blinked, since I only vaguely knew the year. That's one of the books that I just really didn't like - it was summer reading for me way back in either high school or 7th or 8th grade, and it didn't, for lack of a better expression, "spark joy" in me, and I generally love lit.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

Rackme32 wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:46 am
... African Queen, that's a boat on a river... Nahh.. Time's up.
The likelihood of The African Queen as a response made me somewhat surprised they ran with this FJ. I thought about posting to that effect the other night, but I didn't wish to introduce anything off-color into the thread.
I'm smart and I want respect.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: 41,800
51 R/1 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: light heavyweight, liquid propane gas, Sergei Rachmaninoff, Antonin Dvorak (DD)

I'm surprised "riverboat" didn't steer at least one of the contestants toward Twain.

I should have picked up the Rhoda LT, but it took me too long to untangle my brain from initially thinking of Daria, whose title character was surnamed Morgendorffer.
floridagator wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:46 am An herbicide is a form of pesticide, so Claire should not have been ruled wrong.
Except that "pesticide" is not "another word for a weedkiller," as specified in the clue.
Sprinkles are for winners.