Monday, December 23, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

User avatar
CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 2559
Joined: Fri May 22, 2015 2:40 pm

Re: Monday, December 23, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by CasketRomance »

OntarioQuizzer wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:36 pm
MitchO wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 7:30 pm
[but was able to name a 2nd tier famous player (someone I would think only an NBA fan would get).
Considering she is from Michigan and Draymond went to State...
still would have to be a basketball fan to know that and to know of him, which means missing offensive rebound is a head-scratcher

User avatar
RobinMSwartz
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:54 pm
Location: Michigan

Re: Monday, December 23, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by RobinMSwartz »

Totally brain farted the $200 question. I was thinking second-chance points, logged after an offensive rebound. I'm the daughter of a college basketball player, a player myself in high school and had a brain blip. It happens to the best of us. Also, Draymond is a Spartan, and so am I. So there's that. Context.
MitchO wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 7:30 pm
Hugo Z wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:58 pm
Ah well, they're once again reinforcing the stereotype of the Jeopardy superminds who don't know a jump shot from a slap shot.
It was odd to me that she didn't know the proper term for offensive rebounds, but was able to name a 2nd tier famous player (someone I would think only an NBA fan would get).

I'm shocked that FJ was at all difficult. I think the British aspect thru them off, but that word is insta-recognize for me.
S36 2x champ

User avatar
RobinMSwartz
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:54 pm
Location: Michigan

Re: Monday, December 23, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by RobinMSwartz »

See my above context.
CasketRomance wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:08 pm
Hugo Z wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:58 pm
Ah well, they're once again reinforcing the stereotype of the Jeopardy superminds who don't know a jump shot from a slap shot.
was shocked to see her come up with draymond green when she bricked offensive rebound with 2nd chance rebound
S36 2x champ

User avatar
OntarioQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews
Posts: 1373
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:01 am

Re: Monday, December 23, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by OntarioQuizzer »

CasketRomance wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:39 pm
OntarioQuizzer wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:36 pm
MitchO wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 7:30 pm
[but was able to name a 2nd tier famous player (someone I would think only an NBA fan would get).
Considering she is from Michigan and Draymond went to State...
still would have to be a basketball fan to know that and to know of him, which means missing offensive rebound is a head-scratcher
To me it's very plausible that Draymond Green would be osmosis knowledge if someone was a Michigan State alum.
Andy Saunders
Moderator, #JeopardyLivePanel
Host, Complete The List
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Site Admin - The Jeopardy! Fan

User avatar
TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim
Posts: 8340
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:59 pm
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: Monday, December 23, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Ran "LL" You Say, all but Ganges in Rivers.

Their Jobs in 2019 for $200 was a dick move.

"Seven Against Thebes" seemed obscure for the top box.

Also NHO Valerie Bertinelli.

There's more than one kind of oriole or jay?!

Recognized the word right away, but needed a couple beats to pull the name. My 2nd grade teacher read a lot of Roald Dahl to the class, but somehow never got to Charlie.

Lach Trash: volleyball, intellectually. Also got "a thousand points of light" and Colossus of Rhodes DDs.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

User avatar
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard
Posts: 7644
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:33 pm
Location: Shawnee, KS
Contact:

Re: Monday, December 23, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by opusthepenguin »

thenextofken wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 7:49 pm
Would they have accepted just "Colassus" on the second DD? I got that part, but if he gave me a BMS, I would've been at a loss.
Well, there's also a somewhat famous Colossus of Train Tracks. It doesn't fit the time period, but they still probably want you to know that this is the one of Roads.

User avatar
CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 2559
Joined: Fri May 22, 2015 2:40 pm

Re: Monday, December 23, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by CasketRomance »

OntarioQuizzer wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:42 pm
CasketRomance wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:39 pm
OntarioQuizzer wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:36 pm
MitchO wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 7:30 pm
[but was able to name a 2nd tier famous player (someone I would think only an NBA fan would get).
Considering she is from Michigan and Draymond went to State...
still would have to be a basketball fan to know that and to know of him, which means missing offensive rebound is a head-scratcher
To me it's very plausible that Draymond Green would be osmosis knowledge if someone was a Michigan State alum.
so then you are saying she would be versed in mateen cleaves' nba career just because she went there?

User avatar
CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 2559
Joined: Fri May 22, 2015 2:40 pm

Re: Monday, December 23, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by CasketRomance »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:50 pm
Ran "LL" You Say, all but Ganges in Rivers.

Their Jobs in 2019 for $200 was a dick move.

"Seven Against Thebes" seemed obscure for the top box.

Also NHO Valerie Bertinelli.

There's more than one kind of oriole or jay?!

Recognized the word right away, but needed a couple beats to pull the name. My 2nd grade teacher read a lot of Roald Dahl to the class, but somehow never got to Charlie.

Lach Trash: volleyball, intellectually. Also got "a thousand points of light" and Colossus of Rhodes DDs.

delaware native, mostly famous for having starred on the original one day at a time tv series, and was married to eddie van halen (let me guess you are going to channel your inner billie ellish and say you have never heard of van halen?) with that said...i didn't get the bertinelli clue either...did not look like her at all to me and i couldn't even tell what channel the food network is on directv

User avatar
OntarioQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews
Posts: 1373
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:01 am

Re: Monday, December 23, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by OntarioQuizzer »

CasketRomance wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:51 pm
so then you are saying she would be versed in mateen cleaves' nba career just because she went there?
One was a major piece in one of the best teams in NBA history.

The other did sweet FA. To try to compare the two of them is inappropriate.
Andy Saunders
Moderator, #JeopardyLivePanel
Host, Complete The List
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Site Admin - The Jeopardy! Fan

User avatar
Category 13
Wagering Viking
Posts: 1660
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:43 pm
Location: This side of paradise

Re: Monday, December 23, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Category 13 »

MarkBarrett wrote: 0/3 on DDs kept scores down while if Robin got her DD3 then she would have locked it at 20400 to 9800. It turned out not to matter as Robin had the sole solve.
And if Eric had come up with "A Thousand Points of Light", and been up 17800 to 14400, she still would have won. But I hope she would have known to wager less than $4000 to keep Jason locked out.
Terrible wagers by both Eric and Jason. Eric could thread the needle with a $600 bet to stay above Robin's MSBiW, or force a Tie-Breaker if Jason has the wisdom to go all-in. Jason needed to bet all 5200 to put the pressure on Eric. Fail, fail.

User avatar
CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 2559
Joined: Fri May 22, 2015 2:40 pm

Re: Monday, December 23, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by CasketRomance »

OntarioQuizzer wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:57 pm
CasketRomance wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:51 pm
so then you are saying she would be versed in mateen cleaves' nba career just because she went there?
One was a major piece in one of the best teams in NBA history.

The other did sweet FA. To try to compare the two of them is inappropriate.
but one can argue mateen cleaves is a bigger name in spartans history than draymond green is...yeah green is the only player to record 2 triple doubles in the ncaa basketball tournament, but cleaves led the team to a national championship...i really dont even remember much of draymond green during his ncaa career, but cleaves is easy to recall

Hugo Z
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 159
Joined: Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:56 pm

Re: Monday, December 23, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Hugo Z »

RobinMSwartz wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:41 pm
Totally brain farted the $200 question. I was thinking second-chance points, logged after an offensive rebound. I'm the daughter of a college basketball player, a player myself in high school and had a brain blip. It happens to the best of us. Also, Draymond is a Spartan, and so am I. So there's that. Context.
MitchO wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 7:30 pm
Hugo Z wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:58 pm
Ah well, they're once again reinforcing the stereotype of the Jeopardy superminds who don't know a jump shot from a slap shot.
It was odd to me that she didn't know the proper term for offensive rebounds, but was able to name a 2nd tier famous player (someone I would think only an NBA fan would get).

I'm shocked that FJ was at all difficult. I think the British aspect thru them off, but that word is insta-recognize for me.
What can I say after I say I'm sorry?

User avatar
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur
Posts: 7200
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:42 pm
Contact:

Re: Monday, December 23, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Volante »

MarkBarrett wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:07 am
At least Eric took a guess while Jason took the Hammer. Carroll, Doyle, Dickens, Barrie...try someone.
If I'm trying a name, I have to plausibly believe it has a chance. All those were -published- before 1916. I'd rather leave a goose egg than waste precious seconds writing one of that group down.
CasketRomance wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:01 pm
OntarioQuizzer wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:57 pm
CasketRomance wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:51 pm
so then you are saying she would be versed in mateen cleaves' nba career just because she went there?
One was a major piece in one of the best teams in NBA history.

The other did sweet FA. To try to compare the two of them is inappropriate.
but one can argue mateen cleaves is a bigger name in spartans history than draymond green is...yeah green is the only player to record 2 triple doubles in the ncaa basketball tournament, but cleaves led the team to a national championship...i really dont even remember much of draymond green during his ncaa career, but cleaves is easy to recall
*shrug* I almost had Green and airballed offensive rebound. Thing about news articles about basketball? They don't talk about 'offensive' or 'defensive' rebounds. Just in general. But they DO mention player names.

Bit on St. Lawrence as well.

TIL Feige has two syllables...I've been saying /feeg/ this whole time. I hope I'd have a chance to spell it before being ruled wrong.

Not quite contestant interview material: I have a used shooting range target from FBI HQ. It's in storage in another state, though, so I can't tell you how good that agent was.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): The Huntsman: Winter's War (6), Batman: The Killing Joke (7), The Immortal Story (7), Ratchet & Clank (6)

User avatar
CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 2559
Joined: Fri May 22, 2015 2:40 pm

Re: Monday, December 23, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by CasketRomance »

Volante wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:41 pm
MarkBarrett wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:07 am
At least Eric took a guess while Jason took the Hammer. Carroll, Doyle, Dickens, Barrie...try someone.
If I'm trying a name, I have to plausibly believe it has a chance. All those were -published- before 1916. I'd rather leave a goose egg than waste precious seconds writing one of that group down.
CasketRomance wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:01 pm
OntarioQuizzer wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:57 pm
CasketRomance wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:51 pm
so then you are saying she would be versed in mateen cleaves' nba career just because she went there?
One was a major piece in one of the best teams in NBA history.

The other did sweet FA. To try to compare the two of them is inappropriate.
but one can argue mateen cleaves is a bigger name in spartans history than draymond green is...yeah green is the only player to record 2 triple doubles in the ncaa basketball tournament, but cleaves led the team to a national championship...i really dont even remember much of draymond green during his ncaa career, but cleaves is easy to recall
*shrug* I almost had Green and airballed offensive rebound. Thing about news articles about basketball? They don't talk about 'offensive' or 'defensive' rebounds. Just in general. But they DO mention player names.

Bit on St. Lawrence as well.

TIL Feige has two syllables...I've been saying /feeg/ this whole time. I hope I'd have a chance to spell it before being ruled wrong.

Not quite contestant interview material: I have a used shooting range target from FBI HQ. It's in storage in another state, though, so I can't tell you how good that agent was.
box scores do

User avatar
Category 13
Wagering Viking
Posts: 1660
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:43 pm
Location: This side of paradise

Re: Monday, December 23, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Category 13 »

That FBI category might have been too difficult for a Teen Tournament, and maybe even challenging for college students.
I felt the clues were overly easy for regular J! contestants. Identify J. Edgar Hoover from a photo? Show James Earl Ray's mugshots & then spot them an April 1968 assasination? C'mon

BTW: Poll request for coming up with Ted Kaczynski, vs Unabomber

User avatar
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur
Posts: 7200
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:42 pm
Contact:

Re: Monday, December 23, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Volante »

CasketRomance wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:53 pm
Volante wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:41 pm
*shrug* I almost had Green and airballed offensive rebound. Thing about news articles about basketball? They don't talk about 'offensive' or 'defensive' rebounds. Just in general. But they DO mention player names.
box scores do
And an article is not a box score, so I'm not sure what the intended takeaway is supposed to be from that.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): The Huntsman: Winter's War (6), Batman: The Killing Joke (7), The Immortal Story (7), Ratchet & Clank (6)

User avatar
CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 2559
Joined: Fri May 22, 2015 2:40 pm

Re: Monday, December 23, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by CasketRomance »

Category 13 wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:55 pm
That FBI category might have been too difficult for a Teen Tournament, and maybe even challenging for college students.
I felt the clues were overly easy for regular J! contestants. Identify J. Edgar Hoover from a photo? Show James Earl Ray's mugshots & then spot them an April 1968 assasination? C'mon

BTW: Poll request for coming up with Ted Kaczynski, vs Unabomber
couldn't have told you what old man hoover looked like...the picture wasn't necessary...the clue itself was easy to get to that dude....jeopardy loves wasting time with videos and pictures that aren't necessary

User avatar
CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 2559
Joined: Fri May 22, 2015 2:40 pm

Re: Monday, December 23, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by CasketRomance »

Volante wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:57 pm
CasketRomance wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:53 pm
Volante wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:41 pm
*shrug* I almost had Green and airballed offensive rebound. Thing about news articles about basketball? They don't talk about 'offensive' or 'defensive' rebounds. Just in general. But they DO mention player names.
box scores do
And an article is not a box score, so I'm not sure what the intended takeaway is supposed to be from that.
you dont look at box scores after reading an article? or have never looked at a basketball box score at all?

User avatar
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur
Posts: 7200
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:42 pm
Contact:

Re: Monday, December 23, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Volante »

CasketRomance wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:58 pm
Volante wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:57 pm
CasketRomance wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:53 pm
Volante wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:41 pm
*shrug* I almost had Green and airballed offensive rebound. Thing about news articles about basketball? They don't talk about 'offensive' or 'defensive' rebounds. Just in general. But they DO mention player names.
box scores do
And an article is not a box score, so I'm not sure what the intended takeaway is supposed to be from that.
you dont look at box scores after reading an article? or have never looked at a basketball box score at all?
Never seen a basketball box score in my life
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): The Huntsman: Winter's War (6), Batman: The Killing Joke (7), The Immortal Story (7), Ratchet & Clank (6)

User avatar
Category 13
Wagering Viking
Posts: 1660
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:43 pm
Location: This side of paradise

Re: Monday, December 23, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Category 13 »

Volante wrote: Bit on St. Lawrence as well.
That one required the 'Alex Jacob pause and verify'. Eric was too quick on the trigger for that. Probably what caused him to be in the red and playing catch up tonight and in Friday's game also.

Post Reply