Monday, December 23, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

RobinMSwartz

Re: Monday, December 23, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by RobinMSwartz »

I'm quite familiar with both Day Day and Mateen. I was in Indy to watch Mateen win us the national championship in 2000.
OntarioQuizzer wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:57 pm
CasketRomance wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:51 pm so then you are saying she would be versed in mateen cleaves' nba career just because she went there?
One was a major piece in one of the best teams in NBA history.

The other did sweet FA. To try to compare the two of them is inappropriate.
S36 2x champ
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

RobinMSwartz wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:22 pm I'm quite familiar with both Day Day and Mateen. I was in Indy to watch Mateen win us the national championship in 2000.
I was there, too. Can't believe it's been so long.
CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by CasketRomance »

Volante wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 11:11 am
davey wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 7:33 am
Volante wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:41 pm
TIL Feige has two syllables...I've been saying /feeg/ this whole time. I hope I'd have a chance to spell it before being ruled wrong.
What makes you think you'd be ruled wrong?
There's allowances, and then there's hitting the wall next to the dart board. (If nothing else, there'd be a pause while the judges confer. No way would that be on the card)
CasketRomance wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:41 am i mainly do that because i know it pizzes off a lot of ocd people
That's not OCD and that sort of response makes me think you'd sneak peanuts into an allergic person's meal because "it'd annoy them"
not at all, dude...that would bring about a bad physical response...i am not a fan of inflicting physical pain...mental on the other hand, different story
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

jeff6286 wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:14 pm
Volante wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 11:11 am
davey wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 7:33 am
Volante wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:41 pm
TIL Feige has two syllables...I've been saying /feeg/ this whole time. I hope I'd have a chance to spell it before being ruled wrong.
What makes you think you'd be ruled wrong?
There's allowances, and then there's hitting the wall next to the dart board. (If nothing else, there'd be a pause while the judges confer. No way would that be on the card)
I feel fairly certain Alex can make his own calls in the case of altered pronunciations, I don't think it would necessarily have to be "on the card".
you are probably correct, seeing he messed up the pronunciation of gangnam style on a couple of occasions, so he goes with what he thinks is correct
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

RobinMSwartz wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:22 pm I'm quite familiar with both Day Day and Mateen. I was in Indy to watch Mateen win us the national championship in 2000.
OntarioQuizzer wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:57 pm
CasketRomance wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:51 pm so then you are saying she would be versed in mateen cleaves' nba career just because she went there?
One was a major piece in one of the best teams in NBA history.

The other did sweet FA. To try to compare the two of them is inappropriate.
didn't imply you didn't know who he was...the professional career was what was in question in regards to that poster's hypothesis of attending a university and being versed in the careers of alumni
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

Edited to delete a post that has been "overcome by events" and no longer contributes to the discussion.
Last edited by AFRET CMS on Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Based in part on his comments made in this thread, I have reluctantly decided to ban CasketRomance. I will not have people on here deliberately trying to cause others pain, whether physical or mental. I'm sorry it had to come to that, but he has demonstrated again and again his unwillingness to play by the rules.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

alietr wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 2:54 pm Based in part on his comments made in this thread, I have reluctantly decided to ban CasketRomance. I will not have people on here deliberately trying to cause others pain, whether physical or mental. I'm sorry it had to come to that, but he has demonstrated again and again his unwillingness to play by the rules.
Thank you for this. I blocked him on Twitter ages ago for constantly stalking me and replying to damn near every Tweet I made. I thought he was starting to get a little bit better for a while, but this just shows that he has no desire to improve.
cthulhu

Post by cthulhu »

Category 13 wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:55 pm That FBI category might have been too difficult for a Teen Tournament, and maybe even challenging for college students.
I felt the clues were overly easy for regular J! contestants. Identify J. Edgar Hoover from a photo? Show James Earl Ray's mugshots & then spot them an April 1968 assasination? C'mon

BTW: Poll request for coming up with Ted Kaczynski, vs Unabomber
I knew both monikers, but would have said “Unabomber” since the name wasn’t known at the time the manifesto was published, and it’s pretty universally called the Unabomber Manifesto. A poll would be interesting though.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Volante wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:41 pm Not quite contestant interview material: I have a used shooting range target from FBI HQ. It's in storage in another state, though, so I can't tell you how good that agent was.
I used to have one of those! I think it's gone now, but there's a slim possibility it's in a box in the basement. I got mine in 1974.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Category 13 wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:55 pm BTW: Poll request for coming up with Ted Kaczynski, vs Unabomber
I wonder how it should be worded. Should it be two questions? I'd check both boxes. I said Unabomber first but threw in the other before the contestant responded. Maybe it can be crammed into one: "I got Unabomber and could have come up with Ted K. if BMSed."
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

reddpen wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:16 am Welcome, Robin! Best retroactive luck. Your presence should dial back some of the snark.
What snark? Did I miss something?
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

talkingaway wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:39 am One of the toughest first round boards I've seen in awhile, for me at least. Considering I mistook "Peter Pan" for "Lord of the Flies", it wasn't going to be a good round for me.
I made that mistake initially but was able to recover in time. It feels as though something in the phrasing calls up Peter Pan. Maybe the use of the word "grownups" rather than "adults", though I think both stories do that.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

talkingaway wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:39 am For some reason, "weird words" just pointed me directly to Lewis Carroll. My second grade teacher was obsessed with poetry and how words sounded, and I remember reading Jabberwocky in her class. (Ironically, her name was Goganian, which to me sounded like the name of a witch.)

I'd NHO "scrumdiddilyumptious" in connection with Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, despite having the book read to me in school as a kid, seeing the movie for the first time about 7-8 years ago, and seeing the musical based on the play about a year ago. Even if I'd gotten to "Charlie", for some reason the fact that it was a Roald Dahl book escaped me....but I did know that Dahl was, with 95% certainty, Welsh - the strange consonants and just the way the name "Roald Dahl" looks and sounds feels Welsh to me.
Roald Dahl was born in Wales, but to Norwegian immigrants. The only other Roald I (and most people, I bet) can think of is Roald Amundsen, the Norwegian explorer. The name Dahl apparently has a distinguished Norwegian heritage. It's a cognate to the English word/name dale/Dale and traces back to Norwegian dalr, meaning valley.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Speaking of Kaczynski, I went to the (soon-to-be-defunct) Newseum this weekend where they have the cabin he lived in:

Unabomber Cabin.jpg
Unabomber Cabin.jpg (43.81 KiB) Viewed 4497 times
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

I'm catching up on J! that I PVR'd while I was away at Christmas, and having to watch GOAT first has slowed me down.

Niagara vs. St. Lawrence was not even a little bit of a close call. There is very little hydroelectric generation along the St. Lawrence, whereas Niagara is practically where it was invented, on that scale anyway.

I don't think Unabomber needs a BMS. On a tangent, I wish the FBI and police would make more transcripts, statements, etc., public in unsolved cases, because I think it would shake things loose.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.