Tuesday, December 24, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, December 24, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, December 24, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
HISTORIC AMERICAN CITIES

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Damage from Hurricane Matthew in this city in 2016 revealed a plot of colonist graves from perhaps as long as 430 years ago

Robin Miner-Swartz: 11600-3801=7799 (2x = $27,400)
Barbara Hall: 11200-4500=6700
Drew Limon: 7700-0=7700

Correct response:
Spoiler
St. Augustine (Robin – Tampa) (Barbara – Richmond) (Drew – Houston)

Daily Doubles
Drew: 4200-2500
Barbara: 10000-2000
Barbara: 9200-2000

Coryats
Robin: 11600
Barbara: 15200
Drew: 10200

Combined: 37,000

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Robin: 2400
Barbara: 2400
Drew: 1700
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Jimmy's elaborate presentation must have put the players to sleep as otherwise Buckminster Fuller and this kind of dome should not go TS.

Will the players get a DD right this week. It's not off to a good start with 0/6.

Robin was able to avoid the pitfalls and have a narrow lead for the FJ! round thanks to the misses by her opponents.

Was HISTORIC AMERICAN CITIES scary?

Robin did 11600-3801 going for 15401 to cover Drew's possible 15400. Barbara's possible 22400? Robin would not have been close. Perhaps pretty 2K on the nose DD bets by Barbara tipped Robin off that she may not have had to worry about Barbara going big?

Barbara did 11200-4500 which would have been 15700 on a get.

In the TS scenario Robin had the most left to retain the title.

Unlike Myron posted below I did do the math. 2016 - 400 is 1616. Taking off 30 more is the year 1600 and then 14 more off to drop to the year 1586. 1500s? That takes care of VA and MA locations.

I realized my precall off the category had a chance to be right. I had already had a sniff of thinking that city as I felt the earlier clue in SANTA ON THE MAP eliminated the old place in NM.

As Alex went to each player and commented on their misses I felt better and better about my guess since it was old enough, was not too far north and was in the right state.

The part of the clue that did nothing for me was Hurricane Matthew as in California all of those natural disasters those in the SE and Caribbean face all blend together.
Last edited by MarkBarrett on Tue Dec 24, 2019 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

It feels like we haven't had a good wagering police scenario in quite some time. Or maybe I'm just not paying attention. Either way, "old city" + "hurricaine means probably Florida" = "quit trying to do the math in your head, Myron, and just put down the obvious". Bonus points for remembering "Prisoner of Trebekistan".
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 11:18 am It feels like we haven't had a good wagering police scenario in quite some time. Or maybe I'm just not paying attention. Either way, "old city" + "hurricaine means probably Florida" = "quit trying to do the math in your head, Myron, and just put down the obvious". Bonus points for remembering "Prisoner of Trebekistan".
I had a similar thought process. I miscalculated the math and ended up in the 17th century, which struck me as odd because I knew there were earlier settlements. I had to talk myself out of Virginia and even New England, then realized that it just had to be St. Augustine and stuck with it.
Hugo Z
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Hugo Z »

Yep, once you dip into the 16th century, it narrows the field quite a bit. I thought for a moment about the Roanoke colony, but it wasn't a city.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

I forgot about covering 3rd place. Yeah, I'm really not the guy to go to for wagering commentary.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Hugo Z wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 11:36 am Yep, once you dip into the 16th century, it narrows the field quite a bit. I thought for a moment about the Roanoke colony, but it wasn't a city.
I followed the same path. Add to that... I remembered Matthew ravaging the Carolinas, but forgot it ran up the coast of Florida as well. The word "city" was enough to get me to discount the Roanoke colony and pick the right one.
Hugo Z
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Hugo Z »

Today's historic city is home to the oldest Ripley's Believe It Or Not Museum, a place I visited as a child. I remember being fascinated/horrified by the torture devices they had on display, including, I believe, an iron maiden!
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Coryat 34400 (41R, 1W)
DD 2/3
FJ :mrgreen:

I studied Primary Colors just the other day but blanked on it. Only 4/10 in the right-hand column where I usually do pretty well. I knew Celebrity Couples was going to whoop my behind, and it did. My grandmother, Jeopardy! lover and avid reader of People Magazine, would be disappointed in me...
True North
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by True North »

Coryat: $31,600 (43R, 2W)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Adriatic, London (DD), Toronto, Primary Colors (DD), Copernicus (DD), geodesic

Bad day for DDs. I spent way too long in FJ trying to remember where Matthew hit before looking at the dates and getting it in an instant.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

It never ceases to amaze me that enough people actually give a $&#+@! about celebrities' lives to be a popular category. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Contestants, DO THE MATH! St. Augustine is easy peasy once you get to 1586. :x
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

DBear wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 8:34 pm It never ceases to amaze me that enough people actually give a $&#+@! about celebrities' lives to be a popular category. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
I'm not a fan of it either... but the clues are written by people who live in LA and work in showbiz, so their perspective on what is important is different than a lot of ours.

I've learned to accept it as part of the game, and try to learn at least enough (celebrity gossip, top hits of 2019, etc) to be passable in gameplay.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

Dangit, I had a good idea for a FJ! clue tangential to one of the clues in this show, but it wasn't quite "pinned" enough for prime time - I couldn't get the wording quite right. It went along the lines of "This NBA arena has a name that actually refers to the city of a divisional rival about 500 miles northwest." Play along...
Spoiler
What is TD Garden? Home of the Boston Celtics, rival to the Toronto Raptors. The problem is that TD Garden is named for TD Bank N.A., a subsidiary of Toronto Dominion - and not Toronto Dominion directly. It's not entirely accurate.
I clammed on the "knot/matrimony" clue...but I guess plain "marriage" would be okay? Looked up the lyrics to Beggar's Opera, and doesn't seem to refer to the WORD matrimony.

Really terrible with all the explorer history of the New World, so St. Augustine wasn't going to be a get, even knowing the year meant "really, really, really old city" - even older than Boston. Had Charlottesville, meant Charlotte, neither is remotely correct, temporally speaking.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

I honestly don't remember hearing anything about that happening, but as mentioned above, given 1586, WECIB?
thenextofken

Post by thenextofken »

Would they have accepted just "Four horsemen" or would it be necessary to include "Of the Apocolypse?"
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

econgator wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:23 pm I honestly don't remember hearing anything about that happening, but as mentioned above, given 1586, WECIB?
San Juan, Puerto Rico? That's what I negged with. Because, you know, 2016 = Trump + hurricane = Puerto Rico. Sigh. I did the subtraction right and didn't bother to notice I was a year off on the near end for what I was thinking. I even thought of St. Augustine and decided to stick with San Juan.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

DBear wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 8:34 pm Contestants, DO THE MATH! St. Augustine is easy peasy once you get to 1586. :x
I had Charleston written down first and couldn't see how that could be correct after doing the math. That made me change it to St. Augustine, although I don't usually think of St. Augustine and "colonists" going together for whatever reason. I'll take it, though.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Ran Christmas Carol, all but $1,000 in Cow and Banks.

I thought "matrimony" was a tough pick for the top box.

It's Not Good to Be King was an instant 0/5 for me. I still see no way to retain any of those.

Orzo (NHOI) was my only miss in O to O.

Bit down HARD on the Galileo negbait on Sphere for $800. WHY DO I ALWAYS PICK THE WRONG ONE AND GO FOR EVERY LAST NEGBAIT?!?!?!

Hurricanes. Let's see, there's a really old city in Florida. What's it called... Saint....... Augustine? Yeah, that sounds right.

Lach Trash: The Lego Movie, O Little Town of Bethlehem, Adriatic, Toronto