Tuesday, December 24, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Re: Tuesday, December 24, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by econgator »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 11:10 pm
econgator wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:23 pm I honestly don't remember hearing anything about that happening, but as mentioned above, given 1586, WECIB?
San Juan, Puerto Rico? That's what I negged with. Because, you know, 2016 = Trump + hurricane = Puerto Rico. Sigh. I did the subtraction right and didn't bother to notice I was a year off on the near end for what I was thinking. I even thought of St. Augustine and decided to stick with San Juan.
*nod* Like you said, Matthew never got anywhere near PR.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

MarkBarrett wrote: Robin did 11600-3801 going for 15401 to cover Drew's possible 15400. Barbara's possible 22400? Robin would not have been close. Perhaps pretty 2K on the nose DD bets by Barbara tipped Robin off that she may not have had to worry about Barbara going big?

Barbara did 11200-4500 which would have been 15700 on a get.
I don't blame Robin for taking the risk, but I do have to nitpick her wager for not tacking on the extra $98 she had, to stay above Drew's standing score on a miss. That put her at unecessary risk of a tie-breaker with Barbara.
Most wager wise players in Barbara's position would have made the 'textbook' wager to cover Drew doubling by $1. Barbara smartly padded her wager to cover Drew, plus $299. That gave her some extra insurance against Robin taking the gamble that she did.
John Boy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by John Boy »

DBear wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 8:34 pm It never ceases to amaze me that enough people actually give a $&#+@! about celebrities' lives to be a popular category. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Contestants, DO THE MATH! St. Augustine is easy peasy once you get to 1586. :x
Amen to both. I wear my badge of honor for going 0/5 on the celebrity category, but then I sometimes have trouble remembering the name of the woman I'M married to :roll: .

And on this FJ math came in very handy. I can never remember which hurricane went where, and when I first read the clue I conflated this one with Super-Storm, uh, what was its name? Sandy? And was thinking about northern cities, UNTIL I saw the date and went straight to St. Augustine. So a good get on a TS FJ was my Christmas present for the day.

For my other LT of the day I remembered dewlap because that was the name of one of the grizzled old cartoon cowboys in the old strip "Tumbleweeds." And Adriatic because it wasn't Aegean. And Teneriffe (sp) in the Canary Islands because of the horrific crash of two airliners there a few decades ago. And how was Bucky Fuller's GEODESIC dome a TS? Oh well, I'll take it.

I wonder what was going through the champ's head as she calculated her FJ wager. She clearly didn't bet enough to cover a doubling bet from second place, and if she was thinking this was a lousy category for her, she sure bet a lot. But it seems to have worked out for her, so YOU GO, GIRL!.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

56 R (Missed Morgan Freeman Roles $800 and Celebrity Couples $800, $1600, and $2000.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: The Lego Movie, Dewlap, O Little Town of Bethlehem, Adriatic, Canary Islands, Toronto, (London), Charles I, (Primary Colors), The Four Quartets, (Copernicus), Geodesic
Douglas Squasoni
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

John Boy wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2019 2:53 pm
And how was Bucky Fuller's GEODESIC dome a TS? Oh well, I'll take it.
I got negged on this one because of the visual. If the clue had been "Buckminster Fuller: _____ dome", bingo, I'd get it. And if I'd read the clue and seen Buckminster Fuller, and slowed down a little bit...yeah, I'd get it. But as presented to the audience at home, my trigger finger hit very early during Jimmy's slow explanation, and went with "great circle", which accurately describes the first half of the clue, so I tuned out and missed the Buckminster part. (I guess you could split hairs and call it a "great arc", but "great circle distance" has its own Wikipedia entry, and I've never heard the term "great arc" distance, while I have heard "great circle distance".) I'm not sure if I'd have been able to pull the answer in time after that mental journey.

I've actually never heard "geodesic" in a geometric context, and, honestly, never knew what made a "geodesic dome" geodesic. I just knew the pavlov. Apparently, a geodesic polyhedron is a polyhedron made of triangular faces, which makes sense, given the stability of triangular faces in architecture. NHO "geodesic" as a synonym for "great circle", though.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

To riff on the geodesic clue, I said "geodetic", which I understand* as the shortest curve between two points in any number of dimensions. In the case of the curvature of the earth, which is quasi-analogous to the fourth dimension in space-time, this gives the great circle chord (since you can't take the short cut through the earth). But the dome polygon doesn't adhere to the sphere, so I think the two parts of the clue don't work unless you just want the first part to "sound like" the adjective for the polygon.

*My understanding is not well grounded, and I've not been able to reconcile it in a quickie look at the google and the wiki. Does anyone know if "geodetic" would pass muster with the judges?

For FJ, I said Jamestown, knowing it was prior to Mayflower, and obviously more south. This boomer was only taught the whitebread version of Colonial history, and the brown skinned people in the Caribbean don't fit the narrative. I did not know about these migrations/settlements until actually visiting San Juan and St. Augustine as an adult. I'm too busy being mad at the grade school social studies books to learn the alternative (truthy) version.

I'm glad our champ prevailed from an untenable position. I am amazed at the canon of celebrity couples and accept my 5 clams with grace and respect for the winners.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

twelvefootboy wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2019 8:10 pm *My understanding is not well grounded, and I've not been able to reconcile it in a quickie look at the google and the wiki. Does anyone know if "geodetic" would pass muster with the judges?
Slim possibility, but I'm thinking probably not. Technically it may be correct, but the clue also pinned to Fuller's architectural dome, so "geodesic" was probably the only answer they were looking for.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
cthulhu

Post by cthulhu »

twelvefootboy wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2019 8:10 pm To riff on the geodesic clue, I said "geodetic", which I understand* as the shortest curve between two points in any number of dimensions. In the case of the curvature of the earth, which is quasi-analogous to the fourth dimension in space-time, this gives the great circle chord (since you can't take the short cut through the earth). But the dome polygon doesn't adhere to the sphere, so I think the two parts of the clue don't work unless you just want the first part to "sound like" the adjective for the polygon.

*My understanding is not well grounded, and I've not been able to reconcile it in a quickie look at the google and the wiki. Does anyone know if "geodetic" would pass muster with the judges?
Nope. A geodesic (whether pronounced with a long or short “e” in the final syllable) is the shortest path between two points in any (Riemannian) manifold such as the surface of a sphere or ellipsoid or four-dimensional space-time, etc. (and Alfred Bester used it incorrectly in his masterpiece “The Stars My Destination”). Geodetic is an adjective pertaining to geodesy, the study of the the Earth’s shape, gravitational and magnetic fields, etc.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

There's an early "Simpsons" in which Lisa is showing some animal flash cards to Maggie, and Z is for zebu:

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I knew dewlap because of 2006 contestant Lizard Hogge (who said he was trying to grow one, I believe, to better communicate with his iguana).

1586, unfortunately, fits in with the dates of Roanoke Colony. Its non-cityhood notwithstanding, I never thought about anything else. This ends my FJ correct streak at 16 (or 17 if you count the Christmas FJ, which I saw before this one and got right).
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

cthulhu wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2019 11:19 pm
twelvefootboy wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2019 8:10 pm To riff on the geodesic clue, I said "geodetic", which I understand* as the shortest curve between two points in any number of dimensions. In the case of the curvature of the earth, which is quasi-analogous to the fourth dimension in space-time, this gives the great circle chord (since you can't take the short cut through the earth). But the dome polygon doesn't adhere to the sphere, so I think the two parts of the clue don't work unless you just want the first part to "sound like" the adjective for the polygon.

Nope. A geodesic (whether pronounced with a long or short “e” in the final syllable) is the shortest path between two points in any (Riemannian) manifold such as the surface of a sphere or ellipsoid or four-dimensional space-time, etc. (and Alfred Bester used it incorrectly in his masterpiece “The Stars My Destination”). Geodetic is an adjective pertaining to geodesy, the study of the the Earth’s shape, gravitational and magnetic fields, etc.
Thanks for the analysis and a great concise explanation. I think I somehow exchanged consonants someplace along the line way back before these terms became fashionable in the common parlance. It may be an accident of my memory that the "t" version (geodetic) is even a word. I've not been exposed to any technical topological terms unless it was planted in a pre-internet Scientific American story.
cthulhu

Post by cthulhu »

twelvefootboy wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:14 am Thanks for the analysis and a great concise explanation. I think I somehow exchanged consonants someplace along the line way back before these terms became fashionable in the common parlance. It may be an accident of my memory that the "t" version (geodetic) is even a word. I've not been exposed to any technical topological terms unless it was planted in a pre-internet Scientific American story.
“Geodetic” is absolutely a word; as I said, it’s an adjective that means pertaining to geodesy. The current official model of the Earth’s shape and gravity is the “World Geodetic Standard 1984” (abbreviated WGS-84); there’s an official report and a bunch of data products available from the US National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency (the NGA).
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

cthulhu wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 5:46 pm
twelvefootboy wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:14 am It may be an accident of my memory that the "t" version (geodetic) is even a word.
“Geodetic” is absolutely a word; as I said, it’s an adjective that means pertaining to geodesy. The current official model of the Earth’s shape and gravity is the “World Geodetic Standard 1984” (abbreviated WGS-84); there’s an official report and a bunch of data products available from the US National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency (the NGA).
Right :), ergo my continued confusion. If I'd butchered it to "geodefic", or "geoderis", I wouldn't have kept reinforcing the mis-spelling and confirmation ignorance by spell check, etc... My malapropism just lay dormant waiting for this failure. Like our Manchurian President :).
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

cthulhu wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 5:46 pm
twelvefootboy wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:14 am Thanks for the analysis and a great concise explanation. I think I somehow exchanged consonants someplace along the line way back before these terms became fashionable in the common parlance. It may be an accident of my memory that the "t" version (geodetic) is even a word. I've not been exposed to any technical topological terms unless it was planted in a pre-internet Scientific American story.
Anyone who's into climbing or even hiking should be familiar with the word geodetic because of these:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Survey_marker
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: 38,600
49 R/1 W
DD: 2/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: The Lego Movie, "O Little Town of Bethlehem," Adriatic Sea, Toronto, London (DD), Primary Colors (DD), geodesic

I'd like to thank Ernie Pantusso for his contribution to my knowledge of European geography.
Sprinkles are for winners.