FJs for the 12/23/19 week

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which FJ! clues did you solve correctly for the 12/23/19 week?

Poll ended at Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:49 pm

In 2016 the OED celebrated his 100th birthday by adding words connected to his writings, including scrumdiddlyumptious
56%
Damage from Hurricane Matthew in this city in 2016 revealed a plot of colonist graves from perhaps as long as 430 years ago
51%
Founded by students at William & Mary in 1776; its members include 17 U.S. Presidents, 41 Supreme Court Justices & more than 140 Nobel laureates
69%
Wanting more French influence in the area he called Latin America, Napoleon III installed an emperor in this country
61%
The first French museum to buy this type of painting was the Musée des Beaux-Arts in Lyon, in 1901  
52%
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:  I checked all five boxes above.
14%
:( :( :( :( :(  I missed all the FJ! clues.
6%
MYTHOLOGY $2000: The god of beginnings & ends, this Roman god had a temple in the forum whose doors were open during war & closed during peace
63%
NORTHERN CALIFORNIA $1600: Dragon Gate Arch on Grant Avenue marks the entrance to this iconic San Francisco district
74%
THE RUSSIAN REVOLUTIONS $2000 box DD: In 1905 this ship sailed into Odessa with a revolutionary attitude, a red flag & a "people's committee" newly in charge
64%
For the FBI HEADQUARTERS clue that wanted the guy with the long rambling manifesto I had the Unabomber.
58%
For the FBI HEADQUARTERS clue that wanted the guy with the long rambling manifesto I had Ted Kaczynski.
39%
The NBA games on Wednesday preempted J! outright or bumped J! to a later showing on my local affiliate.
29%
If the Wednesday FJ! clue had wanted William & Mary instead of Phi Beta Kappa I would have got that right.
12%
Haiti was my incorrect guess for the Thursday FJ! clue.
19%
During think time on Friday I thought of Impressionist, but missed it by not going with that type of painting.
15%

Total votes: 105

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

FJs for the 12/23/19 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

12/23 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
BRITISH AUTHORS

12/23 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In 2016 the OED celebrated his 100th birthday by adding words connected to his writings, including scrumdiddlyumptious

12/24 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
HISTORIC AMERICAN CITIES

12/24 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Damage from Hurricane Matthew in this city in 2016 revealed a plot of colonist graves from perhaps as long as 430 years ago

12/25 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
ORGANIZATIONS

12/25 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Founded by students at William & Mary in 1776; its members include 17 U.S. Presidents, 41 Supreme Court Justices & more than 140 Nobel laureates

12/26 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
19th CENTURY HISTORY

12/26 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Wanting more French influence in the area he called Latin America, Napoleon III installed an emperor in this country

12/27 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
ART FIRSTS

12/27 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The first French museum to buy this type of painting was the Musée des Beaux-Arts in Lyon, in 1901

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
Roald Dahl
St. Augustine, Florida
Phi Beta Kappa
Mexico
Impressionist
The players were 6/15 (40.00%) with a 1-0-2-1-2 success pattern.

The extra clues have two correct by the players followed by a missed Daily Double.

MYTHOLOGY $2000: The god of beginnings & ends, this Roman god had a temple in the forum whose doors were open during war & closed during peace

NORTHERN CALIFORNIA $1600: Dragon Gate Arch on Grant Avenue marks the entrance to this iconic San Francisco district

THE RUSSIAN REVOLUTIONS $2000 box DD: In 1905 this ship sailed into Odessa with a revolutionary attitude, a red flag & a "people's committee" newly in charge

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
Janus
Chinatown
the Potemkin
MarkBarrett

Re: FJs for the 12/23/19 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( 
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: 

Ted Kaczynski would have been my response, while I thought of the Unabomber first.

J! bumped to 9:00 on Christmas night

Yes, could have named W&M

Yes, thought of impressionist and did not go with it. :(
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Douglas Squasoni
Plactus

Post by Plactus »

:mrgreen: :( :(

Cubism. I wasn't entirely sure what kind of response the Friday clue was going for.

I said Kaczynski.
Show aired normal time all week.
I'm honestly not sure where I pulled "Phi Beta Kappa" from. I couldn't have said what university it was founded at, and probably would have guessed Harvard or another Ivy.
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:

Not sure which I came up with first, so I just checked both boxes.

J! was pre-empted (I didn't bother to check if they were showing it later or not).

Could not have named W&M.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

:mrgreen: :( :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:| :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Tue - Jamestown
Wed - nothing, most cromulent guess I had was Masons

Kaczynski
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :( :(
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(

I had nothing on the Unabomber clue.

J! was not pre-empted in my market.

No guess on the missed ones.
True North
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by True North »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:

I had both for the Unabomber question. Haiti for Thursday’s FJ.

I’m lucky that J! NEVER gets preempted in Canada, it’s on a religious channel that never has anything that needs to cut in.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :( :(
:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:

I forgot about the Christmas preemption and was away from home from Monday afternoon to a little after midnight on Thursday. I hadn't watched Tuesday's J! yet when I saw the Christmas episode was on at my aunt's house; I didn't want to watch out of order, but since the preemption meant it wouldn't be recorded at home, I went ahead. But heavy rains played havoc with the satellite dish, and I only got a smattering of regular clues. Luckily I at least experienced FJ mostly intact, but I basically missed this episode, and the usual suspects on dailymotion are letting me down. I'm open to commiseration via PM.

I missed three gettable FJs this week. The year math in Tuesday's took me to Roanoke and I paid no mind to the fact that colonists' graves there would pretty much be limited to 430 years prior, and not "perhaps as long as" that. On Thursday I thought I was solving a puzzle rather than knowing history (the opposite of what happened in my AFRICAN CAPITALS FJ in my ToC); I know France tried to install an emperor in Mexico, but I just thought "maybe that's how we got French Guiana" and stayed down there. On Friday I thought the clue could be indicating the establishment coming around to Impressionism, but the pull of the nineteen-aughts kept me with cubism (notwithstanding its genesis coming several years too late for the one in the clue).
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :x
Art ruined my perfecto.
We get enough pre-emptions for Thursday Night Football, don't need any for basketball.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Roald Dahl's oeuvre is not a strength for me as lit goes.

I had both the Unabomber and Kaczynski.

J! was pre-empted in my area on Wednesday. :evil:
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(
Leander

Post by Leander »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Never would have thought of Dahl
Had Kaczynski
Pre-empted in my market (NY)
Would not have gotten William and Mary
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:
First 5/5 FJ in several weeks. Hope I can keep it going into the new year.

Nearly went down the wrong path with the painting, thinking they may have been talking about the type of paint -- spent a brief moment wondering when acrylic paint had been invented.

Had a "duh" moment when the San Francisco district was revealed; the only thing that came to mind immediately was Haight-Ashbury.

Had to check both bomber boxes, since my answer was "Ted Kacynski, AKA Unabomber."
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
Carpe Diem
Boardeh

Post by Carpe Diem »

cthulhu

Post by cthulhu »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :( :(

Bleah.

Ronald Dahl an instaget; my daughter was a huge Dahl fan when she was 7-12 years old.
Roanoke on Tuesday.
Phi Beta Kappa an instaget also and I could have come up with W&M. I’m not a member, since I’m an engineer and Phi Beta Kappa is for arts & sciences, but I did make it into Tau Beta Pi, the engineering honor society (humblebrag :D )
Could not make the Mexico connection on Thursday and negged with Haiti.
Count me in with those who thought Impressionism was accepted much earlier than 1901; negged with Cubism although I was pretty sure 1901 was too early.

Got all of the extras. Knew both Unabomber and Ted Kacyzinski, but the wording of the clue led me to go with Unabomber.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

I considered impressionist and Modern Art (1901, right, so maybe January 1 12:01 am?) but settled on cubist. I agree that "Style" of painting was a better choice than "type". And I may be a bad loser, but I am very skeptical about the claim the clue makes.
I'm smart and I want respect.
Shaquebanisa
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Shaquebanisa »

:( :( :( :( :mrgreen:
davey

Post by davey »

:( :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(
:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I got my worst week in a while for Christmas, including talking myself out of impressionism... :roll: If I'd remembered cubism was a correct FJ just last month, I would have changed it back!
ilcap
Valued Contributor

Post by ilcap »

:mrgreen: :? :? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I always get those Greek letters mixed up.

Came up with "Roanoke" for the colonist graveyard question, which in retrospect was a bad guess for the "historical city" category. It was a good question!