Tuesday, December 31, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Category 13
Wagering Viking

Re: Tuesday, December 31, 2019 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Category 13 »

Adding to the Lach Trash pick-ups with
Operation, Brinks, Dearborn,Yellow, Kansas and Moose
jbreynolds
Contributor

Post by jbreynolds »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:36 am
TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 12:34 am What was the TOM for Cleveland?
Case Western is there.
Case Western Reserve. Most of northeast Ohio was previously in the Western Reserve of Connecticut.
talkingaway
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by talkingaway »

davey wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:06 pm EDIT: No, of course I've heard that "fight song" thing, never bothered to wonder who sang it...
30 years ago, studying music for J! was probably easier, since radio DJs would always review the names of the songs they just played every 30-60 minutes. If you hear "...and that was Fight Song by Rachel Platten" ten times over the course of a month, it's gonna stick. Nowadays, I guess they expect people to either read the car radio display (which for me only identifies the song about half the time), or to Shazam or Google the lyrics.

Gotta go, I need to chase some kids off of my lawn.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

talkingaway wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:19 am Nowadays, I guess they expect people to either read the car radio display (which for me only identifies the song about half the time), or to Shazam or Google the lyrics.
I suspect most people listening to pop music today are streaming it, so reading a display in one's car (from an FM station, anyway) is probably only something us geezers are doing. :D
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

Linear Gnome wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:31 pm
alietr wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:58 am There was something on TV Back in the Day that had a Chicago zip mentioned all the time. Either 60601 or 60606. Can't remember if it was a show or an ad. But that is how I knew it instantly (besides knowing Chicago comes in at #3 nowadays). Some help, please?
I have a recollection of a game show announcer saying "Chicago 60609 Illinois". A quick search indicates that it might be a reference to the Spiegel catalog and the game shows may have been Hollywood Squares and/or Let's Make a Deal.
I remember it from the announcer on Let's Make a Deal finishing a Spiegel plug by saying "Spiegel, Chicago, 60609." And I'm picturing Carol Merrill posing.
In and out of the pool four times
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 12:24 am
opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 12:10 am
trainman wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:12 pm I knew Chicago from "60601," but, yes, "Chicago is the third-largest city in the U.S." should be a piece of knowledge to have close at hand.
And if you're old enough you remember the big news in 1981 (I think) when Los Angeles surpassed Chicago in population. It felt weird and wrong at first. Everybody knew that New York was the biggest and Chicago came second. Now that I've had time to adjust, it seems normal and right. One big city on each coast, a big one in the middle at the top, a big one in the middle at the bottom.
It looked like Jimmy was holding a plain envelope that was not official mail as I would suspect not even J! has enough pull (getting someone in probably lots of hoops) to let a civilian handle real mail? Or J! was smart enough not to display someone's real address to millions?

No get for me on the clue as I was not going to be recalling any ZIPs outside of CA and I need FJ! time to sort out populous cities on the fly. The better path would have been recognizing how the code was close enough to my cousin in Kildeer, IL who I mailed something (Shh! Portion of family/friends football pool winnings) to yesterday.
I know Boston, Mass is 02134 and that western ZIPs start with a nine, so a six put me in the Midwest.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

I'm not all that impressed with Karen despite her runaways. She seems to be facing very weak opposition. She and her opponents as a group are missing a whole lot of very easy Clues. I'm more impressed by someone who can really make hay with the boards. Maybe I've gotten spoiled by some of the Great super Champs there've been recently.

I was very surprised that Alex mispronounced Brian Mulroney's name. It's Mul+Rooney.

I got Chicago just from the zip code. I knew that from the days of Spiegel catalogs. I'll bet that they advertised on the original Jeopardy.

The TV dinner FJ was oh so easy. Swanson is part of the Campbell Soup company. Swanson basically lost its Mojo when they converted to plastic and paper board trays. Some of the varieties they had did not translate to the new format. Other companies moved in and have done better in the microwave era. I had a feeling the two Challengers would get that one and Karen would miss it.

Does anyone remember when Swanson had a Chinese Chow Mein dinner? Or am I simply dating myself?
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

floridagator wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:56 pm Swanson is part of the Campbell Soup company.
Only the broth part. Pinnacle owns the TV dinner part.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

econgator wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:30 pm
floridagator wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:56 pm Swanson is part of the Campbell Soup company.
We are both right. Campbell bought Swanson in 1955 and hence owned it for the Heyday of the TV dinner business. They spun Swanson off in 1998 and the new company took the name Pinnacle. I am also correct as Campbell still owns the Swanson name. Pinnacle sells the descendants of Swanson dinners under the name Hungry Man.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: 47,400
54 R/1 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: operation, Brinks, Cal Tech, Charlie Puth, moose, Dearborn, Cleveland, Brian Mulroney, Public Enemy, Rachel Platten, Robert Galbraith, Pablo Neruda (DD), Kansas, loyalists, Theresa May (DD)

It strikes me as odd how generationally schizophrenic the writers can be. On the one hand, the show often seems skewed toward the interests/knowledge set of Boomers/Gen Xers. OTOH, they think that photo clues for Charlie Puth and Rachel Platten belong in the top two rows. Something for everyone, I guess.

BTW, the thing worth knowing about Charlie Puth is that he is the singer (Wiz Khalifa is the rapper) on "See You Again," the Paul Walker tribute whose video is at present the third-most viewed video in the history of YouTube.
Sprinkles are for winners.
Leander

Post by Leander »

floridagator wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:52 pm
econgator wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:30 pm
We are both right. Campbell bought Swanson in 1955 and hence owned it for the Heyday of the TV dinner business. They spun Swanson off in 1998 and the new company took the name Pinnacle. I am also correct as Campbell still owns the Swanson name. Pinnacle sells the descendants of Swanson dinners under the name Hungry Man.
I had thought at the time that Banquet, which introduced frozen dinners at virtually the same time, might have been the answer to this FJ (although it didn’t fit the specifics of the clue other than the date)