Fourth Podium Poll for 12/31/2019 (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which of these triple stumpers and other clues did you get?

$800 THE NAME OF THE GAME: Overlord or Desert Storm
88%
$600 WE WUZ ROBBED!: Dunbar, now part of this big armored car company, was hit in 1997 to the tune of almost $19 million; the company got some of it back, though (Bill: What is Pinkerton's?)
81%
$1000 COLLEGE ENDOWMENTS: This Pasadena school makes a big bang with its 2.9 billion bucks
65%
$400 IT'S CHARLIE!: He's the hitmaking singer-songwriter-producer seen here
30%
$800 THE ALGONQUIAN WORD TABLE: This 5-letter word for a very large deer comes from words meaning "he strips off" (bark to eat, that is)
58%
$1000 WHERE AM I?: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew is standing in Ford's Rouge plant.) I'm in this city near Detroit, at Ford's Rouge plant, which, during World War II employed 120,000 people
43%
$400 WHERE AM I?: (Sarah of the Clue Crew is at the Dittrick Medical History Center.) I'm at the Dittrick Medical History Center of Case Western Reserve University in this Midwest city that has become one of the world's leading centers for medical treatment and research (Susan: What is Minneapolis?)
55%
$2000 HIS-TORY: Canadians have Tories, too, like this prime minister who had a Shamrock Summit with Reagan
43%
$1200 BATTLE & HUM: Not big fans of Elvis or John Wayne, this rap group urged its audience to "Fight the Power" in 1989 (Bill: What is N.W.A.?)
38%
$400 BATTLE & HUM: In 2015, she told us "This is my fight song, take back my life song, prove I'm all right song" (Bill: Who is Sara Bareilles?)
20%
$1600 PSEUDONYMOUS WRITERS: "Lethal White" is the fourth Cormoran Strike novel J.K. Rowling has written using this pseudonym
25%
Next clue was DD2 $2000 clue for PSEUDONYMOUS WRITERS (Karen wagered $2000): Gabriela Mistral (a pseudonym) encouraged this other Chilean Nobel Prize-winning poet (also a pseudonym) (Karen: Who is Marquez?)
46%
$1200 WORLD OF COLORS: In Mandarin Chinese: huang se (Bill: What is red?)
59%
$2000 DON'T DROP THE BALL: The Big Apple drops a ball, but in Manhattan in this Midwest state, "The Little Apple", they drop an apple at midnight
74%
$1200 HIS-TORY: Tories, Americans opposed to the American Revolution, were also called Royalists or these (just change 1 letter)
86%
DD3 $800 clue in HIS-TORY (Bill wagered $5900): In 2002 as the first woman to chair the Conservative a Party, she pushed the Tories away from being the "Nasty Party"
67%

Total votes: 69

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Fourth Podium Poll for 12/31/2019 (SPOILERS)

Post by opusthepenguin »

14 triple stumpers and 2 missed DDs fill out the maximum 16 allowed poll questions. Some low-hanging fruit and some that caused us chez Penguin to stare just like the contestants.

DD2 followed right on the J. K. Rowling clue, so IN THEORY, if you got the Rowling clue, that DD is yours if you also would have continued down rather than bouncing somewhere else. So maybe you could've doubled your score there, eh?

Since Karen missed FJ, all you have to do from the fourth podium is get to half her score plus $1 and get FJ right. Assuming you would have wagered enough, that gives you the hypothetical win. Let us know how you did.
CORRECT RESPONSES
$800 THE NAME OF THE GAME: Operation
$1000 COLLEGE ENDOWMENTS: Caltech
$600 WE WUZ ROBBED!: Brink's
$400 IT'S CHARLIE!: Charlie Puth
$800 THE ALGONQUIAN WORD TABLE: Moose
$1000 WHERE AM I?: Dearborn
$400 WHERE AM I?: Cleveland
$2000 HIS-TORY: Prime Minister Brian Mulroney
$1200 BATTLE & HUM: Public Enemy
$400 BATTLE & HUM: Rachel Platten
$1600 PSEUDONYMOUS WRITERS: Robert Galbraith
DD2 $2000 clue for PSEUDONYMOUS WRITERS: Pablo Neruda
$1200 WORLD OF COLORS: yellow
$2000 DON'T DROP THE BALL: Kansas
$1200 HIS-TORY: Loyalists
DD3 $800 clue in HIS-TORY: Theresa May
opusthepenguin

Re: Fourth Podium Poll for 12/31/2019 (SPOILERS)

Post by opusthepenguin »

$7600 not including the DDs, both of which I got. So not enough to get within winning distance of Karen even if I hadn't choked on FJ. Said Butterball, same as she did. Congrats to the last champ of 2019. May you be the first champ of 2020.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

$6800 thanks to saying Patten instead of Platten plus correct on all 3 DDs to go along with solving the FJ! clue as I will gladly take anything in the TV area.

No problem on the Rowling AKA name since I have all the books.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :| :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :| :| :| :| :| :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

$8600, both DDs. Missed FJ tho
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Only got the first three right, missed with Flint over Dearborn, and failed to see the "Manhattan" in the New Year's clue and somehow thought they wanted the Apple state that wasn't New York. K-State is my Dad's alma mater, so, shame on me. Didn't recognize any of the rest of the clues.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :( :( :( :mrgreen: :( :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

JK's AKA is something that I've encountered multiple times before, but just hasn't "stuck", like the names and faces of most Canadian PMs
'Chilean Nobel poet' and (Operation) Desert Storm/Overlord being stumpers was a surprise, but then I'm annoyed with myself for missing Dearborn
Theresa May was a "what other British female Tory politician would they expect us to know!?" guess
Just imagining a version of "Fight the Power" by NWA makes me giggle

I believe thats 8800. Close but no cigar, though if I had hit any of the DDs I would've been set.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

$7,600 in gets, $3,000 in negs (I said Flint and Pierre Trudeau instead of Dearborn and Mulroney respectively), plus both DDs.
Leander

Post by Leander »

Clammed on the 3 music related clues, moose, Dearborn and Rowling (should have gotten the Rowling one). Got the rest, although the color was a guess and I missed a couple in that category.
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :oops: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :oops: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I count $9,800 not including DDs (goes up to $12,600 if you do). Did miss FJ so I would not have won the game regardless. Boards played well for me as a whole.

Platten and Puth were easy for me, but I may or may not have been a dumber and more impressionable high school student when they got popular.
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :( :( :( :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

"Large deer" = moose (or elk, watch the TOM) is something Jeopardy loves to ask about.

NHO either of the low-dollar music people.

Need to commit Rowling's pseudonym to memory.

Clammed on the Ford clue, was thinking Hamtramck but that didn't seem right.
True North
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by True North »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :( :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(

Fourth podium winner! $10,200 not including Neruda, plus a FJ get.

Rachel Platten drove me nuts, I’ve heard the song a hundred times but could not think of her last name.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Oh: outside of a category with "Charlie" in its name, there was no way I was getting Puth. I know enough about him to give his name as a response when spotted "current pop musician named Charlie."
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

Not in the cards for me to win from the fourth podium today. Had $6800 without the DDs, but missed the Rowling clue so even though I got the DD correct I probably wouldn't have hit it. The instaget on FJ would have been of no benefit, unless they let me wager about 150% of my pre-FJ score.
Last edited by AFRET CMS on Wed Jan 01, 2020 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :roll: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :roll: :( :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Pablo Neruda is a perpetual blind spot for me. I took Brit Lit instead of World Lit in high school & know nothing about him.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Douglas Squasoni
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:57 pm :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
How did that one sad face happen? That clue is tied for first. I got it easily while flailing on many of the clues you scooped up. I PRE-CALLED Brinks off the category, fer cryin' out loud!
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Operation
Brink's
Charlie Puth
Moose
Dearborn
Rachel Platten
Kansas
Loyalists
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

:| :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :| :| :| :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :| :| :mrgreen: :| :mrgreen:

$11,200. Weirdly, I had more trouble with the lower-valued clues. Go digger.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

I forget, did Alex pronounce "huang se" right? That "se" is more like "suh", not "say".
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Robert K S wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:32 pm I forget, did Alex pronounce "huang se" right? That "se" is more like "suh", not "say".
I have a feeling he had a phonetic pronunciation written out that said "suh," because he said "soo."