Wednesday, January 1, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

User avatar
TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim
Posts: 8304
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:59 pm
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: Wednesday, January 1, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by TenPoundHammer »

MarkBarrett wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:26 pm

Mo'Nique is an Oscar winner and like the J! champ title it has no expiration date. Charlie Chaplin was in a recent correct response. What has he done lately?
Yes, but Charlie Chaplin is an enduring legend of cinema who has done tons and tons of classic films that are still aired to this day. Mo'Nique did one major film that completely disappeared from the public consciousness after Oscar season, and has done literally nothing since.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

User avatar
econgator
Let's Go Mets!
Posts: 8650
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:32 am

Re: Wednesday, January 1, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:38 pm
MarkBarrett wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:26 pm

Mo'Nique is an Oscar winner and like the J! champ title it has no expiration date. Charlie Chaplin was in a recent correct response. What has he done lately?
Yes, but Charlie Chaplin is an enduring legend of cinema who has done tons and tons of classic films that are still aired to this day. Mo'Nique did one major film that completely disappeared from the public consciousness after Oscar season, and has done literally nothing since.
Why the hell do you even want to be on the show?

goongas
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 171
Joined: Tue May 20, 2014 10:34 pm
Location: New York, NY

Re: Wednesday, January 1, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by goongas »

I said Sapphire for FJ, who was the writer of the film...J! thinks Oscar winners are very important, like it or not...especially if there is something interesting or uncommon about their win (like being single named) or winning for screenwriting when you used to be a stripper, for example.

User avatar
TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim
Posts: 8304
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:59 pm
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: Wednesday, January 1, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by TenPoundHammer »

econgator wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:46 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:38 pm
MarkBarrett wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:26 pm

Mo'Nique is an Oscar winner and like the J! champ title it has no expiration date. Charlie Chaplin was in a recent correct response. What has he done lately?
Yes, but Charlie Chaplin is an enduring legend of cinema who has done tons and tons of classic films that are still aired to this day. Mo'Nique did one major film that completely disappeared from the public consciousness after Oscar season, and has done literally nothing since.
Why the hell do you even want to be on the show?
Because I'm not expecting to get a fistful of clues that are only slightly less obscure than Liederkranz.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

User avatar
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 4702
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:34 pm
Location: Indianapolis, IN

Re: Wednesday, January 1, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by jeff6286 »

econgator wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 7:32 pm
I'm sure I've heard of Mo'Nique, but I know I've never heard of the movie "Precious". There was a zero percent chance of me coming up with her. Cher and Madonna were the only two actresses I was going to come up with and I picked Cher.
I count this as the 7th mention of it in the last decade of Jeopardy! I suspect you have heard of it.

User avatar
twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1723
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:18 pm
Location: Tornado Alley / Southwest Missouri

Re: Wednesday, January 1, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by twelvefootboy »

Ironhorse wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:27 am
So much for the Holzhauer effect, eh? Of all the five-game winners after him, the only one who has distinguished himself as an aggressive wagerer has been Sam Kavanaugh.
The wagering of most of the competitiors seems to match the get rate in general for the players. James' wagering simply matched his get rate, and he could use all of the headroom because he was what, 95%+ on DD's and FJ? At 60-75%, mere mortal players need to keep their powder dry.

There's been a change in most player's strategy to pick off the high value clues early and leave the top row. Tonight (I think this is close to accurate) there were 12 clues in the top two rows (in SJ I think) after the first 18 were taken. I don't remember ever seeing that pre-James. No, they don't run the bottom row in the first 6, because they've seen that backfire already since James' run.

I don't know who Monique, or Mo'nique, or whomever is. I ruled out Cher and Madonna, wondered about Beyonce and didn't think of Oprah to rule her out. I accept my selective ignorance and 0 for 2020 status.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.

User avatar
TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim
Posts: 8304
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:59 pm
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: Wednesday, January 1, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by TenPoundHammer »

See? For once I'm not the only one claiming NHOI here.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

Ironhorse
Wagering Pacifist
Posts: 1372
Joined: Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:21 pm
Location: North Carolina

Re: Wednesday, January 1, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Ironhorse »

Add me to the NHOI list with Mo'Nique, sadly. :oops:
Never been on J!, but once won a knockoff version that aired on local access TV.

User avatar
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur
Posts: 7084
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:42 pm
Contact:

Re: Wednesday, January 1, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Volante »

She got back in the news a couple months ago, suing NetFlix:
https://news.avclub.com/monique-is-suin ... 1839872779

User avatar
Category 13
Wagering Viking
Posts: 1646
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:43 pm
Location: This side of paradise

Re: Wednesday, January 1, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Category 13 »

It seems pretty rare that the pre-FJ scores dictate second place needs to go banzai. Even rarer when the contestant in question knows enough to do it.
Kudos to Val for having wagering smarts.
Last edited by Category 13 on Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

talkingaway
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 601
Joined: Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:59 am

Re: Wednesday, January 1, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by talkingaway »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:38 pm
MarkBarrett wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:26 pm

Mo'Nique is an Oscar winner and like the J! champ title it has no expiration date. Charlie Chaplin was in a recent correct response. What has he done lately?
Yes, but Charlie Chaplin is an enduring legend of cinema who has done tons and tons of classic films that are still aired to this day. Mo'Nique did one major film that completely disappeared from the public consciousness after Oscar season, and has done literally nothing since.
I was originally going to take the middle ground here, but be more towards "know your Oscar winners", but in doing some light research in the J! Archive, I've found it's really, really rare for an Oscar winner in the major categories (Actor, Actress, Picture, Director, Writing) to NOT be at least referenced. I personally find Claudette Colbert (1933 Best Actress, It Happened One Night) to be obscure...but there she is, appearing 20 times in the 36 year history of J!. Granted, I would guess only 2 or 3 of the clues have to do with her alone - there's a few where she's extraneous info, and I think a few of the hits are incorrect responses.

But if there's a rule I learned in this brief exercise, it's this: Oscar winners in major categories are fair game.

Now, that said, there IS a defense...and that's the fact that it's a Best Supporting Actress. Those are, indeed, a little more obscure. Fay Bainter (1938) doesn't register at all, and Jane Darwell (1940) only gets 2 hits in the 80s, and in one she was extraneous information in the clue "Bird Woman + Julie Andrews = what movie". And, for Mo'Nique in particular, TPH has a point - the only J!-worthy material she's been in is Precious.

However - the fact that we're ONLY talking about 10 years ago puts it back in the mix. Add to that the fact that the title of the movie just screams J!-bait - Precious: Based on the Novel 'Push' by Sapphire. Any work that is adapted into another form is something J! writers love, particularly books-into-movies (but don't forget more strange adaptations, like paintings-into-musicals...quick, name two!) You can connect authors to actors, or authors to screenwriters, or authors to directors. Plus, even I remember 10 years or so ago, Precious was a big deal, partly because of the Oprah effect.

User avatar
TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim
Posts: 8304
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:59 pm
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: Wednesday, January 1, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I found a similar problem with the Charlie Puth and Rachel Platten clues yesterday. Puth hasn't charted in nearly two years, and "One Call Away" from 2015 seems to be the only song anyone knows by him. Rachel Platten was already a has-been by 2016 and never got another hit after "Fight Song". Most people probably know the song but wouldn't be able to name the artist.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

User avatar
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 4951
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:35 am
Location: Seattle

Re: Wednesday, January 1, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by This Is Kirk! »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:35 am
I found a similar problem with the Charlie Puth and Rachel Platten clues yesterday. Puth hasn't charted in nearly two years, and "One Call Away" from 2015 seems to be the only song anyone knows by him. Rachel Platten was already a has-been by 2016 and never got another hit after "Fight Song". Most people probably know the song but wouldn't be able to name the artist.
The difference is there have been a whole lot of musicians over the years with a chart hit or two, there's a much smaller list of actors who have won Oscars. That's the reason you should know Mo'Nique (if you want to get on Jeopardy! and win, anyway).

User avatar
alietr
Site Admin
Posts: 7079
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:20 pm
Location: Bethesda, MD

Re: Wednesday, January 1, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by alietr »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:34 pm
See? For once I'm not the only one claiming NHOI here.
Nobody here cares if you've NHOI.

What we care about is when you claim that multiple times.

What we care about is when you say it's not worth learning, and then complain that you don't know it.

And I will tell you that some people on here care VERY MUCH about those last two items. Before you post, check and see if you've already said you've never heard of it (have you noticed that people do that for you because it bothers them that much?). Better yet, we don't even need to know that. And if you don't want to learn something, that's up to you, but DON'T BOTHER TELLING US because we don't want to hear about you wallowing in your ignorance. Everybody here makes choices about what they have learned and what they want to learn, but you're the only who regularly says they refuse to learn something.

Seriously. Your posting of comments like these has gotten very old. Think about my recommendations before you post here. And ignore them at your own risk.

Foretopman
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 334
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:22 pm
Location: Chicago area

Re: Wednesday, January 1, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Foretopman »

goongas wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:46 pm
I said Sapphire for FJ, who was the writer of the film...
+1

goongas
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 171
Joined: Tue May 20, 2014 10:34 pm
Location: New York, NY

Re: Wednesday, January 1, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by goongas »

However - the fact that we're ONLY talking about 10 years ago puts it back in the mix. Add to that the fact that the title of the movie just screams J!-bait - Precious: Based on the Novel 'Push' by Sapphire. Any work that is adapted into another form is something J! writers love, particularly books-into-movies (but don't forget more strange adaptations, like paintings-into-musicals...quick, name two!) You can connect authors to actors, or authors to screenwriters, or authors to directors. Plus, even I remember 10 years or so ago, Precious was a big deal, partly because of the Oprah effect.
Good observations, I have noticed this too while going through old questions. In terms of Oscar writing winners, I imagine we would only be on the hook for famous people who won writing awards, like Emma Thompson, Matt Damon and Ben Affleck, Spike Lee (his first Oscar), and Quentin Tarantino.

yclept
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 177
Joined: Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:43 am

Re: Wednesday, January 1, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by yclept »

Mo'Nique - I have heard of her but would have never been able to get this. The FJ was hit by two of the three contestants so it is knowledge that is far from obscure.

The contestants were using a middle-of-the-board strategy, leaving the top rows for the end of the round. I like this as a general strategy. The bottom of the board strategy is very aggressive and you have to be a special player to pull it off. A few have tried since the days of James and it mostly has blown up in their faces.

Val had a James-like start but just couldn’t keep up the momentum. After a start like that, it was pretty darn impressive how quickly Jennifer closed the gap. Since we don’t know when the next TOC is, great job by her securing the berth as we have no idea if her 4-day total would have been enough to make it.

davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 3810
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:55 pm

Re: Wednesday, January 1, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by davey »

I spent most of the :30 trying to remember Mariah Carey's name (at least she's in the picture), but the only one-named performer that might fit and I thought of, to my eternal shame (or credit?), was Jackée (only African-American to win an Emmy for Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series, so there's that...) Memorizing the actors lists, which I haven't done, would be the only way I'd get a clue like this.

davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 3810
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:55 pm

Re: Wednesday, January 1, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by davey »

goongas wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:48 am
However - the fact that we're ONLY talking about 10 years ago puts it back in the mix. Add to that the fact that the title of the movie just screams J!-bait - Precious: Based on the Novel 'Push' by Sapphire. Any work that is adapted into another form is something J! writers love, particularly books-into-movies (but don't forget more strange adaptations, like paintings-into-musicals...quick, name two!) You can connect authors to actors, or authors to screenwriters, or authors to directors. Plus, even I remember 10 years or so ago, Precious was a big deal, partly because of the Oprah effect.
Good observations, I have noticed this too while going through old questions. In terms of Oscar writing winners, I imagine we would only be on the hook for famous people who won writing awards, like Emma Thompson, Matt Damon and Ben Affleck, Spike Lee (his first Oscar), and Quentin Tarantino.
It's been a while, but J! has occasionally asked for names that were most famous as screenwriters - Robert Towne, Ben Hecht. Herman Mankiewicz and his director brother Joe are invoked, but I don't see that they've ever asked for the name.

davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 3810
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:55 pm

Re: Wednesday, January 1, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by davey »

talkingaway wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:14 am


Now, that said, there IS a defense...and that's the fact that it's a Best Supporting Actress. Those are, indeed, a little more obscure. Fay Bainter (1938) doesn't register at all, and Jane Darwell (1940) only gets 2 hits in the 80s, and in one she was extraneous information in the clue "Bird Woman + Julie Andrews = what movie".
I remember that clue about Jane Darwell. I learned from it that The Bird Woman - her last role - was the same person who played Ma Joad...I got a bit of a kick out of that. Sometimes it's just fun to know things. :geek:
I recently listened to an Orson Welles radio play in which he co-starred with Fay Bainter... :ugeek:

Post Reply