2020 Current Events Study Guide

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Re: 2020 Current Events Study Guide

Post by Volante »

https://www.salon.com/2020/09/03/gravit ... lack-hole/

LIGO has confirmed the existence of intermediate size black holes, capturing the merger of a black hole of 66 solar masses with another of 85 solar masses, into one of 142 solar masses.

Previously, only black holes of 5-20 solar masses (your bog standard supernova leftover) and supermassive black holes (hundreds of thousands to billions of solar masses (like SgrA*)) have been observed.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Authentic wins the 2020 Kentucky Derby.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Baseball Hall of Famer Lou Brock dies at 81.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

Millie Bobby Brown movie: Enola Holmes (sister of Sherlock & Mycroft) Enola is "alone" backwards.

Tom Hanks movie: Greyhound - adaptation of C.S. Forester's The Good Shepherd

Harry Styles song: "Watermelon Sugar"

Sarah Paulson starring in Netflix series: Ratched as MIildred the nurse from One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

Dame Diana Rigg has died at the age of 82. The Tony and Emmy-winning actress is probably best known for playing the witty, catsuit-wearing intelligence agent Emma Peel on TV's The Avengers in the 1960s. Rigg was nominated for an Emmy nine times, including four times for her supporting role as Lady Olenna Tyrell on Game of Thrones. She won her only Emmy for playing Mrs. Danvers in a 1997 television adaptation of Rebecca.

On film, Rigg played a significant role in the James Bond franchise, portraying Tracy Di Vicenzo, the woman who marries Bond in 1969’s On Her Majesty’s Secret Service, only to be murdered the same day by the archvillain Blofeld and his henchman.

Rigg was well received for her stage work in London and on Broadway, winning a Tony Award for Best Actress in 1994 in the title role of Medea. However, a savage review from John Simon for her Broadway turn in Abelard and Heloise prompted her to begin collecting devastating theatrical reviews throughout history, which she published in a 1982 book, No Turn Unstoned.

In 1994, Diana Rigg was appointed Dame Commander of the Order of the British Empire (DBE) for her services to drama.

diana-rigg-emma-peel-01.jpg
diana-rigg-emma-peel-01.jpg (16.19 KiB) Viewed 3332 times
Last edited by cinemaniax7 on Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

Walter Mosley is the 2020 recipient of the Medal for Distinguished Contribution to American Letters, presented by the National Book Foundation. He is the first Black man to receive the award.

A regular in J! clues, Mosley has written more than sixty books that have won him numerous awards including the Edgar Award, the O. Henry Award, the Mystery Writers of America’s Grand Master Award, a Grammy, several NAACP Image awards, and PEN America’s Lifetime Achievement Award.

Mosley is best known for his fourteen mysteries featuring his main protagonist, Easy Rawlins. Most of the Easy Rawlins novels have a color in the title — for example, Devil in a Blue Dress, White Butterfly, A Little Yellow Dog, Little Scarlet, Rose Gold, and Charcoal Joe.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Had to find a reason to get this off page 2:

Eisenhower Memorial: https://www.npr.org/2020/09/15/90842786 ... ted-in-d-c

Key name: Frank Gehry

Definitely J! material: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-54174794

Barbados removing Queen Elizabeth II as head of state
Volante

Post by Volante »

Phosphine has been found in the atmosphere of Venus which might be a signature of potential life as, on Earth, it only comes from biological sources.
https://gizmodo.com/scientists-detect-a ... 1845051001

2020 Ig Nobel mentions!
https://arstechnica.com/science/2020/09 ... el-prizes/
One winner performed experiments where an alligator would bellow both while in a chamber filled with regular air and another with a helium+air mixture

Eyebrows can be used to test for narcissists (The more distinct your eyebrows, the more narcissistic you apparently are)

One went to a study into the shape earthworms take when subject to high frequencies

Scientists who study insects are often afraid of spiders.

And a study into the discovery of a new condition, Misophonia: "the distress at hearing other people make chewing sounds"
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

Volante wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:53 pm Phosphine has been found in the atmosphere of Venus which might be a signature of potential life as, on Earth, it only comes from biological sources.
I've heard that (*koff koff*) penguin droppings are especially high in phosphine.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

squarekara wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:45 pm
Volante wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:53 pm Phosphine has been found in the atmosphere of Venus which might be a signature of potential life as, on Earth, it only comes from biological sources.
I've heard that (*koff koff*) penguin droppings are especially high in phosphine.
Stop being ridiculous. Nothing could survive on Venus.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Volante wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:53 pm And a study into the discovery of a new condition, Misophonia: "the distress at hearing other people make chewing sounds"
What's ig nobel about that? My ex had that, and it wasn't funny. It should be studied.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg has died at age 87 from complications of metastatic pancreatic cancer.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

https://www.al.com/life/2020/09/forrest ... utType=amp

Winston Groom, the man who created Forest Gump, dies at 77.
Volante

Post by Volante »

2020 Pandemmy Results

Schitt's Creek won "Outstanding * Comedy Series"
Spoiler
[Writing For a, Supporting Actress in a, Supporting Actor in a, Lead Actress in a, Lead Actor in a, (null)]
That said, I do -not- expect this to actually show up on J! and it's just the dumbest...
Both during Jimmy's monologue (ABC) and on the Late Show (CBS), to say "Schitt's Creek", they had to put a bug with the show's logo up so, you know, people aren't confused by what they say: ( To wit: https://youtu.be/Y5gAMVBcL54?t=217 )
Catherine O'Hara and Eugene Levy are fair game though they always were.

Watchmen got outstanding limited series along with Lead Actress (Regina King), Supporting Actor (Yahya Abdul-Mateen II) and Writing.

RuPaul's Drag Race got outstanding reality program and the eponymous host got outstanding reality host

Still waiting on Drama stuff...but I wanted to make sure I got that Schitt's Creek joke in before anyone else :D
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

"Schitt's Creek" also won Outstanding Directing for a Comedy Series (Andrew Cividino and Dan Levy shared the award for co-directing "Happy Endings," the show's final episode).

"Schitt's Creek" is the first show ever to win all seven Emmys that it was possible to win on the prime-time awards show.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Volante wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:14 pm 2020 Pandemmy Results

Spoiler
[Writing For a, Supporting Actress in a, Supporting Actor in a, Lead Actress in a, Lead Actor in a, (null)]
That said, I do -not- expect this to actually show up on J! and it's just the dumbest...
Upon my reading that, my mind implanted a false memory of the title showing up in a clue, so I searched J! Archive for "schitt" just to make sure that it was false, and I got two results (one in 1987, one in 2001) for John Moschitta.
davey

Post by davey »

seaborgium wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:38 pm
Volante wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:14 pm 2020 Pandemmy Results

Spoiler
Upon my reading that, my mind implanted a false memory of the title showing up in a clue, so I searched J! Archive for "schitt" just to make sure that it was false, and I got two results (one in 1987, one in 2001) for John Moschitta.
I would hope J! would exclude the title not for its "profanity" but for its witlessness...The show's premise is almost as tired. I love Catherine O'Hara and Eugene Levy, but the acclaim for this show baffles me. And I've tried...
Volante

Post by Volante »

Drama was a little more varied...helped by Succession not having a Lead Actress up for nomination...

Succession took Series, Actor (Jeremy Strong) and Writing
Zendaya took Actress, Drama, for Euphoria
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

In addition to the series winning all seven awards possible last night, Dan Levy became the first person to win in four separate disciplines (producing, directing, writing, and acting) in the same year.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

teapot37 wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:11 am In addition to the series winning all seven awards possible last night, Dan Levy became the first person to win in four separate disciplines (producing, directing, writing, and acting) in the same year.
And there have been a few chances at that in recent years, (at least) Phoebe Waller-Bridge, Bill Hader, and Donald Glover all had nominations in those 4 areas.