Thursday, January 2, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Filibuster_____Bluth
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Re: Thursday, January 2, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Filibuster_____Bluth »

twelvefootboy wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:41 pm
Brit was in the hunt, I wonder if she would have been bold on a DD?
I have it on very good authority that the answer is...it depends.

My thought going in was, if I felt by any means good about the category, go bold. Thus, I would've gone big on "Places," more conservative on "Creatures," and moderate on "Letter."

On the day of, I was able to get Saudi Arabia and Zebulon Pike before the clue was finished being read, but am not sure if I could have managed the letter change in time!
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:04 am Microscope guy (Leeuwenhoek) was out for tough spelling considerations although that is the name to send to the GOATs.
That's one where you just go phonetic with Layvenhook.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

talkingaway wrote:For anyone NHOIng...the songs I can't help you with, but cognates are there for a few words. Cocodrilo = crocodile, amarillo = yellow (like the Texas town), Sabado = Saturday (like iSabado Gigante!), and Corazon = heart. Candle in the Wind was tough - I just had "blank-ity in the blank", which was enough to get me to the correct response".
I wouldn't have known amarillo, but adios (sp) was what tipped me off for Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, which was my only get.

I briefly pondered what the spanish word for bitch was, when the category was announced. :mrgreen:
yclept
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by yclept »

Filibuster_____Bluth wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:49 am
twelvefootboy wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:41 pm
Brit was in the hunt, I wonder if she would have been bold on a DD?
I have it on very good authority that the answer is...it depends.

My thought going in was, if I felt by any means good about the category, go bold. Thus, I would've gone big on "Places," more conservative on "Creatures," and moderate on "Letter."

On the day of, I was able to get Saudi Arabia and Zebulon Pike before the clue was finished being read, but am not sure if I could have managed the letter change in time!
Congrats on making the show and for putting up a strong effort against a very good (now super) champion.
yclept

Post by yclept »

Karen’s steady play is really paying off for her. She didn’t get anything wrong today.

It looked like this could be a three person bloodbath at the first break but Kevin fizzled out. Brit played well but Karen pulled away late and made it all irrelevant with a sole get.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

twelvefootboy wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:41 pm Karen overcame the Thursday champion jinx. I'm waiting for Alex to call her Karen Jennings. She plays like one of those major league pitchers that don't overwhelm you and next thing you know you are 0 for 4. Now 0 for 12 and counting.
Yeah, speaking of knuckleballers ...
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Does Karen have a PhD?
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

yclept wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:31 am Karen’s steady play is really paying off for her. She didn’t get anything wrong today.

It looked like this could be a three person bloodbath at the first break but Kevin fizzled out. Brit played well but Karen pulled away late and made it all irrelevant with a sole get.
Karen is a beast on everything pop culture/entertainment. I wish I could download her knowledge into my brain.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

mas3cf wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:32 pm After yesterday, I, for one, welcome this straightforward science clue.
Amen. I for one NHO Lamarck but Linnaeus was instaget. And many congrats to the champ. Her scores have not been earth-shattering, and may even be a bit below average for winning J! scores in recent years. But you can't argue with six wins (including some lock games) and well over $100K. She's just grinding it out and looking good while doing it.

And while Linnaeus may be "straightforward science" for many boardies, it was clearly difficult enough to stump two of them. So good on the champ for her sole get and another win. What a pleasure to watch she is.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

DBear wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:23 pm
tho I did pick up Marcia Clark. 8-)
Marcia, Marcia, Marcia. My aging brain is failing me again. When I read this clue I immediately came up with the first name Marcia and an image in my brain of this lady during the OJ trial. And Could. Not. Dredge. Up. Her. Last. Name.

Poop.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

John Boy wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:14 am
DBear wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:23 pm
tho I did pick up Marcia Clark. 8-)
Marcia, Marcia, Marcia. My aging brain is failing me again. When I read this clue I immediately came up with the first name Marcia and an image in my brain of this lady during the OJ trial. And Could. Not. Dredge. Up. Her. Last. Name.

Poop.
She was the only one I got out of an otherwise hopeless TV category, and from remembering the news in 1994, not from anything that was on TV this century.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

51 R (Missed On The Bookshelf $2000 and Golden Globe Awards $1200 & $1600.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Hewitt, (Saudi Arabia), Birmingham, Jerusalem, Man Ray, Eleanor Oliphant, Whale
Douglas Squasoni
Mathew5000

Post by Mathew5000 »

alietr wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:52 am Does Karen have a PhD?
Yes, her dissertation was Acquisitive Aggressors or Rational Risk Takers? A Study of Territorial War Aim Expansion