Thursday, January 2, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, January 2, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, January 2, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
SCIENTISTS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
About 100 years before Darwin, this naturalist put orangutans & humans in a group with the Latin name “Homo”

Karen Farrell: 18200+2601=20801 (6x = $115,603)
Kevin Hendricks: 2000-1987=13
Brit Husmann: 10400-10250=150

Correct response:
Spoiler
(Carolus or Carl) Linnaeus (Karen – Linnaus) (Kevin – Lemarck) (Brit – Spencer)

Daily Doubles
Karen: 5400+2000
Kevin: 2400+2400
Kevin: 6000-6000

Coryats
Karen: 17200
Kevin: 6800
Brit: 10400

Combined: 34,400

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Karen: 8200
Kevin: 2400
Brit: 6000
Last edited by theFJguy on Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Kevin made me think of the Mike Tyson quote, "Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth."

Big bets, jumping around and controlling the game are dreams of many a contestant. Sometimes reality has something different to say.

Even if Kevin had solved his farmed DD3 he still would have trailed Karen for the FJ! round where she solved it and he did not.

The history of Kevin's guess of Lamarck (Looking more closely at his response, I now think he wrote, "Lemarck") in the Archive:

#5659, aired 2009-03-26 SCIENCE HISTORY $800: Nutbrain Soviet scientists adopted the discredited 19th C, theory of Lamarck that said acquired traits could be this

(hereditary or passed on to your offspring)

Once again Alex had a chance to call Karen on her spelling. Instead of an extra letter as happened on Monday this time Karen left a letter out. No matter, a solve is a solve and her misspelling counts more on stage than my correct spelling counts from the comfort of home.

I had the correct guy in my short precall list that had Mendeleev, Kep-Gal-Cop, Mendel, and atomic bomb guys confirming to myself who was American and who was Italian. Microscope guy (Leeuwenhoek) was out for tough spelling considerations although that is the name to send to the GOATs.

Superchamp status to Karen and if it holds up like Rob Worman's six wins did (or if she keeps on winning) that should be enough to avoid Jason Z in the quarters.
Last edited by MarkBarrett on Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Just in case anyone is going to play the NHOI game for the FJ! round:
Spoiler

#7496, aired 2017-03-27 SCIENTISTS: This European's 1751 "Philosophia Botanica" gave rules of nomenclature & said don't change generic names Carl Linnaeus
#5864, aired 2010-02-25 SCIENTIFIC MNEMONICS: "Kings play chess on finely grained sand" is a mnemonic device used to help remember a system devised by this scientist
#5639, aired 2009-02-26 18th CENTURY SCIENTISTS: This N. European said his grave-stone should be inscribed Princeps botanicorum, "prince of botanists"
#2984, aired 1997-07-17 SCIENTISTS: In the 1740s he published "Flora Suecica" & "Fauna Suecica", 2 volumes of his observations
That's only the FJ! round.

For regular clues in the 2010s:
Spoiler

#7910, aired 2019-01-18 SOME SCIENCE, THEN DEATH $5,000 (Daily Double): Wrote the book on plant classification--"Species Plantarum"--in 1753; pushing up daisies in 1778
#7885, aired 2018-12-14 MYTHICAL TAXONOMY $800 (Daily Double): Linnaeus "released" the name Microcosmus marinus for this legendary squidlike creature
#7761, aired 2018-05-14 LIFE SCIENCE MILESTONES $1600: Animal classification got broken down in the 10th edition of this Swede's "Systema Naturae" in 1758
#7703, aired 2018-02-21 "C" THE FLOWERS $1000: Linnaeus named this pretty flower for a Jesuit missionary
#7617, aired 2017-10-24 PROFESSORS $3,000 (Daily Double): A practicing physician, he became professor of botany as well as medicine at the University of Uppsala in 1741
#7136, aired 2015-09-28 BOTANISTS $3,000 (Daily Double): As a professor of botany at Uppsala University, he wrote several works including "Species Plantarum"
#7096, aired 2015-06-22 HUMAN ENDEAVOR $5,000 (Daily Double): His 1753 work "Species Plantarum" provided binomial names for all known species of plants
#6874, aired 2014-07-03 SCIENTIFIC NON-AMERICAN $800: In a 1758 work this Swedish botanist applied his binomial system to animal classification
#6743, aired 2014-01-01 BOTANY $3,400 (Daily Double): In the scientific name of the common onion, Allium cepa L., the "L" stands for this botanist
#6578, aired 2013-04-03 NATIONAL FLOWERS $3,000 (Daily Double): This country loves its Linnaea borealis, named after a native son
#6489, aired 2012-11-29 NATURE BOY $1600: This Swede's "Systema Naturae" was first published in Holland in 1736, financed by a fellow botanist
James can go to the library and read his 5th grade books and that is a great method to learn the J! material. The best way to learn the J! canon is to watch the show faithfully.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

After yesterday, I, for one, welcome this straightforward science clue.
Leander

Post by Leander »

I knew he did the classifications for botany but was not sure about animals, but I had no one better to go with.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

Lamarck is certainly not a bad guess if the right one doesn't come to mind.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Ran Elton Juan (thanks to my stepdad), Tools of the Trade, That's Heresy, and K-9/10/11.

Didn't recognize a single thing in Golden Globe Awards, however.

Not even a WAG on FJ! The name was in my database, but was just too far back. All i could do was spin my wheels, which is the most frustrating kind of miss.

Lach Trash: Birmingham, Jerusalem
evanakm
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by evanakm »

Ironhorse wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:02 pm Lamarck is certainly not a bad guess if the right one doesn't come to mind.
It’s definitely neg-bait. It’s easy if you don’t mention Darwin at all, but by mentioning Darwin, the writers made people wonder if it was the guy with the other theory.
True North
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by True North »

Coryat: $28,400 (38R, 1W)
DD: 2/3
FJ: :(
LT: whale

Move along, nothing to see here.

Spanish categories are always terrible for me, translating on the fly always does me in. Brain was moving too slowly for pretty much everything, tbh.

No earthly idea on FJ, NHOI (although certainly should have).
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Coryat 27,000 (36R, 1W)
DD 3/3
FJ :mrgreen:

Felt great after J! round... had a good round and hadn't seen geography/lit/history yet. Then my worst DJ in several weeks. The lit category was recent bestsellers, which is a big hole in my knowledge base. There was a TV category, which I hate to see in DJ and always kills me, and two of the geography clues remained hidden, boooooo!
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Somehow I ran Elton Juan despite my limited Spanish. :shock:
Kudos to the contestants for staying away from the Golden Globes, tho I did pick up Marcia Clark. 8-)
Liked the Heresy category. More, please. :twisted:
FJ was pretty much a WECIB. :x
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

DBear wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:23 pm Kudos to the contestants for staying away from the Golden Globes, tho I did pick up Marcia Clark. 8-)
How dare you, DBear! I ran the category 8-)

I'm guessing they cut the first round a little short to allow for those pointless video clips.

Things that just won't stick:
  • 2nd largest UK city (and I just did the Sporcle UK country quiz today!)
  • Thomas Cromwell vs. Thomas More vs. Thomas Cranmer (and I've seen The Tudors)
  • Emmanuel Radnitzky
Expected a triple get on Linnaeus ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Karen keeps winning

ETA: Cromwell gave the players trouble in a 2015 game (Quick Lit $1200):
http://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_ ... as+cranmer
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Karen overcame the Thursday champion jinx. I'm waiting for Alex to call her Karen Jennings. She plays like one of those major league pitchers that don't overwhelm you and next thing you know you are 0 for 4. Now 0 for 12 and counting.

Brit was in the hunt, I wonder if she would have been bold on a DD? Gotta give Kevin credit for the Hail Mary. It's all moot with Karen's sole get, which was instaget for me but understandably YEKIOYD. It seems like taxonomy could invent itself, much like mineralogy.

The Saudi Arabia DD3 clue seemed easy to me, but I can see how you might miss that train of thought and just try to suss out the term and it didn't sound Arabic in particular to me.

Those Elton tunes were familiar names, but I couldn't crack the translation barrier near fast enough to get to them, partly handicapped by my need to get 3/4 of the title before recognizing the discography.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
davey

Post by davey »

This morning on the way to work, the woman next to me on the subway was reading Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine, and I had never heard of it so as I often do I looked it up...Serendipitous!
I wonder if many people know that Linnaeus = classification, but think that he's from from the ancient world, since we use a Latin name for him? I wouldn't have been sure in what century he lived, but I did know he was modern, so didn't hesitate on this FJ...
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

Hey all, first post here! Happy to be aboard (pun slightly intended)

Coryat: $28,400 (36R, 2W)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :(
LT: Birmingham, (Saudi Arabia DD)

Don't ask me why I said corn instead of peanuts in the Jimmy Carter clue...

Also said white lotus instead of water lily in flowers. Ran the rest of the category to my surprise however.

Linnaeus was in my list of names as the 30 seconds counted down, but had an error in judgement when I thought he was after Darwin instead of much earlier. Said Mendel because I had nothing else.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

Put me down for "had no idea when Linneaus existed"....could have been 1700-1900. Yet I got the FJ! right, with the correct spelling. (Although I probably would have declined to wager extra that the spelling was actually right.) The "hundred years before Darwin" part had absolutely no help to me, but taxonomy = Linneaus is a Pavlov that I've had probably since I took AP Bio in 1993. Although, TBH, Lamarck was a decent guess - when it popped up, I instantly went "Oh, crap!" because I fast forwarded through the Think! music.

Flubbed up "Ellis Island" with "Statue of Liberty", despite thinking of them both almost simultaneously. Oh well. TIL that the Statue of Liberty is on Liberty Island, and is south(west) of Ellis Island.

I almost prefilled my Elton Juan column in my spreadsheet with 1s (for correct) - there was no way I'd miss anything there. I guess getting up every day at 8:30 AM in my sophomore year in college for Spanish was worth it? For anyone NHOIng...the songs I can't help you with, but cognates are there for a few words. Cocodrilo = crocodile, amarillo = yellow (like the Texas town), Sabado = Saturday (like iSabado Gigante!), and Corazon = heart. Candle in the Wind was tough - I just had "blank-ity in the blank", which was enough to get me to the correct response".

I feel better about my wrong response of "Community" for "Donald Glover" - at least he was IN "Community". Never watched the show, and didn't know it went off the air in 2015, two years before the clue said he won.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

talkingaway wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:00 am Put me down for "had no idea when Linneaus existed"....could have been 1700-1900. Yet I got the FJ! right, with the correct spelling.
You spelled it wrong in this post; are you sure you got it with the correct spelling?
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

DBear wrote: Somehow I ran Elton Juan despite my limited Spanish. :shock:
I thought it would be a fun category until I started seeing the clues. The only one I identified before they called it was Goodbye Yellowbrick Road.
A category like that is a buzzer race for anyone who has more than a couple years of Spanish.