Friday, January 3, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

TenPoundHammer

Re: Friday, January 3, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Linear Gnome wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:38 pm I would have. The one year I did quiz bowl in grad school (which would have been 1993-4), we didn't have anyone on the team who knew the constitutional amendments so I decided to learn them. I had learned the "Free Citizens Vote" mnemonic for 13-14-15 and remembered that 16 was income tax because 16 is close to 15 (for April 15) but I know 15 is something else.

I've forgotten lots of the details but remembered that one.
Yet another thing that just falls right back out of my head 10 seconds after I try to learn it.

Maybe after the ten billionth time I'll finally get past my mental block that keeps me from ever remembering which planet is biggest.
mas3cf
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by mas3cf »

Coryat 29200 (36R, 2W)
DD 2/3
FJ :mrgreen:

Lord Almighty, so many unrevealed clues.
hansenkd
Valued Contributor

Post by hansenkd »

I was a big fan of Jennifer Quail during her run, but I had the misfortune to check out her Twitter account today. Lots of snark toward the show and the contestants, and seems to have little respect for Karen or her game. After scrolling through Jennifer's tweets, I now really hope Karen passes her, at least in games if not in money.

Is it because Karen doesn't play top down? Does she wager too conservatively? I don't understand the shade. Why wouldn't she be thrilled about another female super champion coming so soon after her? One of her many snarky tweets called Karen lucky because several of her opponents have whiffed on fairly softball DD's. I'm sorry, but Karen has enough runaway victories to put the lie to the "luck" talk.

Jennifer also pounced on Karen's two FJ misspellings, and on her winning on a miss. She openly implied that Val was a more compelling player and lamented Karen beating her by a couple of bucks. Seriously, it all seems very petty and at odds with the persona we saw during the nine game run. At any rate, Karen rocks, and I hope she keeps on going next week!
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

mas3cf wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:22 pm Lord Almighty, so many unrevealed clues.
It seemed strange because the game play didn't seem particularly slow and there weren't any categories that typically take a long time (like celebrity read ones, for example).
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

Coryat: $20,000 (31R, 2W)
DD: 2/3
FJ: :(
LT: Mexican jumping bean (DD), artist, pathfinder (almost said Mohican)

Add me to the 0/4 list for the Michigan category, the palm just threw me off too much that I clammed like the rest of the contestants.

Shayna solved her DD with "prior" before I could come up with it myself.

I unfortunately also said "Gregorian" along with Shayna, I accidentally said Korean War instead of Vietnam War.

FJ had me realize I really need to look over the Amendments some more if I ever get the call.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:31 pm Got all but $200 in Armchair Expert. Any reason I should know JFK used a rocking chair and not any other kind of chair that moves?
L.L. Bean sells a "Kennedy" Presidential Rocker, and I remember reading their catalog blurbs years ago about how a similar model supposedly relieved JFK's back pain.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

hansenkd wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:28 am I was a big fan of Jennifer Quail during her run, but I had the misfortune to check out her Twitter account today. Lots of snark toward the show and the contestants, and seems to have little respect for Karen or her game. After scrolling through Jennifer's tweets, I now really hope Karen passes her, at least in games if not in money.
I just discovered that for the first time tonight. I know who I'm rooting against in the next ToC.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

48 R (Missed Aftermarket, Club Fed, and Sliding Into Your CM's $400 & $2000.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: *Pope Gregory*, (Mexican Jumping Bean), Artist, Pathfinder/Deerslayer, Spy, Roxy Music, Interlochen, Saginaw Bay, Jackson, Grand Rapids
Douglas Squasoni
yclept

Post by yclept »

Ironhorse wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:33 am
hansenkd wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:28 am I was a big fan of Jennifer Quail during her run, but I had the misfortune to check out her Twitter account today. Lots of snark toward the show and the contestants, and seems to have little respect for Karen or her game. After scrolling through Jennifer's tweets, I now really hope Karen passes her, at least in games if not in money.
I just discovered that for the first time tonight. I know who I'm rooting against in the next ToC.
Her Twitter looks like something a troll would come up with - but I assume that is really her. And if it is true that it is really her, it is so disrespectful and classless that I don’t know why someone hasn’t told her to stop.
True North
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by True North »

Ironhorse wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:33 am
Wow. That ToC green room is going to be AWKWARD.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

What are these tweets people are talking about? I see one that says, "Karen is really getting lucky with other players getting softball doubles and not capitalizing." In my opinion, that's completely fair. See the Fourth Podium Poll for 12/31/2019. That's just one example of where she could have easily been beaten by a competent player. I say this as someone who likes Karen and is happy to see her win.

The other I see says, "Saudi Arabia, geez. #Jeopardy Karen must have voodoo dolls for daily doubles." That's a little less fair if you take the whole game into account. Even if Kevin had gotten that right, that would "only" have increased his pre-FJ score by $12,000. He'd still have been behind Karen, who was the only player to get FJ right. On the other hand, maybe Jennifer was tweeting while watching. In that case, Kevin's Saudi Arabia miss seemed like a real game-changer in the moment. Kevin went true DD, received a very gettable clue, and shoulda woulda coulda rocketed ahead of Karen at that point in the game. (And who knows whether a non-demoralized Kevin might have been able to press his advantage and retain the lead all the way to FJ--where he would still have to know Linnaeus to win.) If I'd been in Kevin's position with that DD and that FJ, you likely wouldn't be talking about this Penguin who lost on Jeopardy!. You'd be talking about me as a proud one-game winner. Karen has had more than one escape of this sort.

The only spelling comment seems to involve Jennifer making fun of HERSELF for not knowing how to spell Linnaeus.

Jennifer Q's tweets do seem to have more general snark and know-it-all-ness than I tend to care for. She says stuff that I might yell at my TV but wouldn't broadcast to the world. But the snark doesn't seem directed at Karen in particular and it's not even close to over the line to me.

I wouldn't discuss this at all, but there's some pretty strong language anti-Jennifer above.
hansenkd
Valued Contributor

Post by hansenkd »

Well, some of the replies are a little more on the nose. That's where you find her "Well, we're both female" quip in reply to someone who compared them. I get being annoyed by comparisons. Jennifer certainly had more money after 5, 6, and 7 wins. But the quip was still off-putting, and they were discussing it on Reddit.

Even worse, I thought, was the jab saying "at least she won by getting Final right this time." That's a bit out of line, since Karen has typically not needed to get Final right the times she has missed it. But what REALLY bothered me was the open cheering for Val. Yes, Val was a bright, fun, gutsy contestant, and her FJ bet was bold. But Jennifer seemed to openly express disappointment that Karen got it right too and had made the proper cover bet.

I think it's kind of a disconnect between the Twitter snark and the joyful, exuberant contestant we saw onscreen--one who seemed to respect her opponents and be grateful for her success. The jabs at the writers and judges don't harmonize with that image.

At any rate, she was much nicer in a Quora answer she gave to a question about what Alex talks with them about afterward, as we see during the credits. And I didn't scroll far enough to see if she threw shade at Kirby, which I imagine would have been hard to resist given Kirby's sadly typical post-giant slayer performance.

You're right that we don't know how things would have gone with Kevin getting that DD. Didn't he get a $2000 neg into the red right after that? What I like about Karen is that she never seems to panic, even on things like missed DD's, and she finds a way to forge ahead quietly and confidently. She seems underestimated to me. Andy only has her odds at 60%, which seems low for a 7-time champion with multiple runaways. Yes, her total is a bit underwhelming, and she has a level of cautiousness, but you don't have to emulate James or Jason in every respect to be a great player. Things like "well, we're both female" just seem to show a reluctance to acknowledge that she is actually, you know, pretty good.
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

Protests for $800:
In 1932 Jaya Narayan was jailed in India for protesting British rule in this 2-word nonviolent way
Accepted response was Civil Disobedience, but is there any reason I shouldn't credit myself for Passive Resistance?
yclept

Post by yclept »

hansenkd wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:06 am Well, some of the replies are a little more on the nose. That's where you find her "Well, we're both female" quip in reply to someone who compared them. I get being annoyed by comparisons. Jennifer certainly had more money after 5, 6, and 7 wins. But the quip was still off-putting, and they were discussing it on Reddit.

Even worse, I thought, was the jab saying "at least she won by getting Final right this time." That's a bit out of line, since Karen has typically not needed to get Final right the times she has missed it. But what REALLY bothered me was the open cheering for Val. Yes, Val was a bright, fun, gutsy contestant, and her FJ bet was bold. But Jennifer seemed to openly express disappointment that Karen got it right too and had made the proper cover bet.

I think it's kind of a disconnect between the Twitter snark and the joyful, exuberant contestant we saw onscreen--one who seemed to respect her opponents and be grateful for her success. The jabs at the writers and judges don't harmonize with that image.

At any rate, she was much nicer in a Quora answer she gave to a question about what Alex talks with them about afterward, as we see during the credits. And I didn't scroll far enough to see if she threw shade at Kirby, which I imagine would have been hard to resist given Kirby's sadly typical post-giant slayer performance.

You're right that we don't know how things would have gone with Kevin getting that DD. Didn't he get a $2000 neg into the red right after that? What I like about Karen is that she never seems to panic, even on things like missed DD's, and she finds a way to forge ahead quietly and confidently. She seems underestimated to me. Andy only has her odds at 60%, which seems low for a 7-time champion with multiple runaways. Yes, her total is a bit underwhelming, and she has a level of cautiousness, but you don't have to emulate James or Jason in every respect to be a great player. Things like "well, we're both female" just seem to show a reluctance to acknowledge that she is actually, you know, pretty good.
I also hate that she has to put it out there that, for whatever reason, knowledge of something like Rock Bands and Sports is lesser than knowledge of Literature. It is fine if you prefer one piece of trivia over another but Jeopardy is not a game of academics skill. Putting down those who have a pop culture or sports strength is not really going to sit well.

Karen’s steady play is why I love Jeopardy so much. There are many approaches you can take to win. Yes, I love the way James played the game. But Karen is showing that you can still win by simply being steady, limiting the mistakes, etc. She isn’t going to beat herself by doing something stupid. Eventually, someone will hit a DD in the DJ round, bet big, and overtake her. That is the downside of the less aggressive strategy she has deployed (though it should be mentioned that she isn’t completely safe as she does play the middle of the board instead of top-to-bottom). But she is doing what works for her and it is working very well.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Yikes! This was another painful game to watch. Constitutional Amendment on Property Tax? Really? Karen is a solid champ who’s had some very good gets. Still, I haven’t been overly impressed with many of her competitors. It will be interesting to see how far her run goes and how she fares in the TOC.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Ok, guys, I hear you. Some of those things rubbed me the wrong way as well. A lot of it just seems millennial par for the course--no filter even when you're speaking where the whole world can hear. I don't like it, and a lot of them get burned by it, but that's the way grown-up (but not yet middle-aged) kids these days roll.

Me? I'm unfailingly polite. Also, I use a nom de plumage that I can burn to the ground and walk away from if I have to.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

opusthepenguin wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:19 pm A lot of it just seems millennial par for the course
Wait, you think Jennifer is a Millennial? I'd think she's a Gen-Xer for sure.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

OK, boomer.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:31 pm Got all but $200 in Armchair Expert. Any reason I should know JFK used a rocking chair and not any other kind of chair that moves?
For Jeopardy!, I'm not a big fan of using what Princeton Review for SAT prep called the "Joe Bloggs principle" (easy questions = easy answers, hard questions = hard answers), but in this case, for a top row clue, it seemed to me to be "Name a chair that moves and might be soothing". Of course, "divine Italian = Dante" and "Titanic = rearranging deck chairs" were actually probably easier, IMO - at least, I felt more confident with them, but I rang in correctly on all 3.

I went 2/4 in Michigan, which is surprising considering it was a 4x stumper category, and geography isn't my "thing'. Imagine what the reaction would have been if they'd done a Michigan Wolverines football category!

It seems there was a lot of wordplay/subliminal clues in this game in general, and "swift current" was the only way I got to "Grand Rapids". I thought for the longest time Interlochen was in Florida because I had a friend in high school who was from Florida and went there for music over summers - read about the arts camp in Michigan years later. Actually, there IS an Interl-a-chen Florida, so...now that confuses me even more.

Constitutional amendments would be on my list of "things I should review", but this is easy. So much "repeal the sixteenth" grousing out there that "income tax" was my instant answer. Clicked FF once because I'm tired of Think! music, and didn't regret it this time. 4/5 on FJ! this week - has to be a fairly easy week in general, no?