It's a Hand! It's Michigan! category poll (1/3/20 spoilers)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

I got these ones right:

$800: Over toward the pinkie side is this city where Gerald Ford got married in 1948; the city is named for the swift current of a river
83%
$1200: At the bottom center of the palm is this penitentiary city named for the President who signed Michigan into statehood
16%
$1600: Right here in the webbing of the Michigan hand is Madonna's city of birth, named for its location on this bay
31%
$2000: Near the tip of the pinkie is this Center for the Arts where parents have sent talented children since 1928
20%
I ran the category.
7%
I was 0/4 in the category.
11%

Total votes: 81

TenPoundHammer

It's a Hand! It's Michigan! category poll (1/3/20 spoilers)

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Images under spoiler tag. As one of the forum's Michiganders, I wanted to see how well you know my home state. Myself? I went 4/4.
MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:37 pm
Spoiler
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Re: It's a Hand! It's Michigan! category poll (1/3/20 spoilers)

Post by econgator »

Grand Rapids and Saginaw.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

Grand Rapids only.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

I drove across Michigan once and it happened that there was a prison escape from Jackson that night. Some things you don’t forget.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:43 pm Grand Rapids only.
Ditto
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

I got Grand Rapids and Interlochen, feel like I should have gotten Saginaw. Jackson doesn't ring a bell.

Interlochen was an instaget for me because they run an adult amateur chamber music camp each summer and I've been to it two or three times.
jjwaymee

Post by jjwaymee »

As a lifelong resident of the Great Lakes State, I would have to forfeit my Michigan Card if I hadn't ran the category. And I'm slightly annoyed that there was no love for the U.P.
CailinGaoilge
Location: Ontario, Canada; formerly resident in UK and Ireland

Post by CailinGaoilge »

jjwaymee wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:42 pm As a lifelong resident of the Great Lakes State, I would have to forfeit my Michigan Card if I hadn't ran the category. And I'm slightly annoyed that there was no love for the U.P.
Let's pretend that the uncovered clue related to the UP. As it was the $400 clue, maybe that marvel of engineering known as the Mackinac Bridge?
1stlvlthinker

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

Should have had Grand Rapids, but it just wasn't coming to me in the time alotted. 0/4 for me.
Now swimming in the J! pool.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

jjwaymee wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:42 pm And I'm slightly annoyed that there was no love for the U.P.
Put a dot somewhere above the hand? If there was a U.P. clue I'd go with something about the Soo Locks.

Got 'em all, but have to say I wasn't 100% confident in Saginaw Bay for some reason. I lived in Michigan for 27 years, so I'd have to bow my head in shame if I missed one...

Just in case the category didn't make it abundantly clear, it's common practice for Michiganders to use their hand to indicate what part of the state they are from. Pretty clever category, actually.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:29 am Just in case the category didn't make it abundantly clear, it's common practice for Michiganders to use their hand to indicate what part of the state they are from.
Something I aptly demonstrated when I was on Wheel.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:39 am
This Is Kirk! wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:29 am Just in case the category didn't make it abundantly clear, it's common practice for Michiganders to use their hand to indicate what part of the state they are from.
Something I aptly demonstrated when I was on Wheel.
I'd forgotten that. Nice work!

By the way, Michigan's Lower Peninsula looks like a mitten for certain, but I always thought the U.P. looks a little like Wile E. Coyote's profile. I know that one's a bit of a stretch...
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

0/4. I had an ex-girlfriend who grew up in Jackson, which is the only way I've ever heard of it. Obviously I've heard of Grand Rapids and Bay City. The other one was unfamiliar.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

I thought I knew my Michigan geography but I don't think I got any of these. I should have gotten Grand Rapids but just couldn't suss out what the hint was pointing to.
Charis
Contributor

Post by Charis »

Interlochen only (I'm a music teacher).
Leander

Post by Leander »

Linear Gnome wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:29 pm I got Grand Rapids and Interlochen, feel like I should have gotten Saginaw. Jackson doesn't ring a bell.

Interlochen was an instaget for me because they run an adult amateur chamber music camp each summer and I've been to it two or three times.
Same answers and reactions to Saginaw and Jackson as me. Interlochen took some thought, but I was able to pull it from somewhere.
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

Michigan resident here, got all but Saginaw Bay.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

I own a home in South Haven, so I should get honorary Michigander status or sumfin. Got Grand Rapids and Saginaw, NHO of Jackson and didn’t recall Interlochen in time (said Traverse City just to say something).
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I honestly thought the category was very tough for non-Michiganders. Interlochen in particular seemed obscure even for the bottom box.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Didn't know Jackson for penitentiary city and the President clue had me thinking more along the lines of Monroe or Adams, and not recognizing either in Michigan. For some reason I've never noticed that Michigan gained statehood about 20 years after Indiana and Illinois, in January 1837, just 5 weeks from the end of Jackson's 8 years in office.